Our Bodies

Fellowes

I have a question regarding our bodies and their longevity. You hear about how some scientists from God-knows-where that say that our brains are capable of memorizing three encylopedia sets, A-Z, something like 7 languages, etc, etc. Now I was wondering, if our brains or minds have so much potential then why aren't our bodies evolved enough to be able to not deteriorate so fast so as to let us reach our full potential mentally. We're only using something like 3 percent of our brain power. Why can't our bodies last longer to let us use the full power of our minds?

Anyways just a thought....

I have a question regarding our bodies and their longevity. You hear about how some scientists from God-knows-where that say that our brains are capable of memorizing three encylopedia sets, A-Z, something like 7 languages, etc, etc. Now I was wondering, if our brains or minds have so much potential then why aren't our bodies evolved enough to be able to not deteriorate so fast so as to let us reach our full potential mentally. We're only using something like 3 percent of our brain power. Why can't our bodies last longer to let us use the full power of our minds?

Anyways just a thought....

The brain doesn't control our genetic blueprint.

We were made to live and to die.

But, interesting one though!!! about 3 percent of our brain power? that's a first time.

myth? so how many % do we use? btw, talking about braincells, do they die all the time?

The brain doesn't control our genetic blueprint.

We were made to live and to die.

But, interesting one though!!! about 3 percent of our brain power? that's a first time.

myth? so how many % do we use? btw, talking about braincells, do they die all the time?

I do believe that the current idea of brain use is that we do indeed use all of it, just not all of it at once. Also, because of current technological and ethical limitations, we cannot actually measure how much of the brain ever does get used.

Also, I read an article (can't remember where at the moment) about how death is an evolutionary advantage for a species that reproduces sexually (as opposed to asexually) because it promotes genetic diversity and therefore better ability for the species to survive.

I do believe that the current idea of brain use is that we do indeed use all of it, just not all of it at once. Also, because of current technological and ethical limitations, we cannot actually measure how much of the brain ever does get used.

Also, I read an article (can't remember where at the moment) about how death is an evolutionary advantage for a species that reproduces sexually (as opposed to asexually) because it promotes genetic diversity and therefore better ability for the species to survive.

• 2 weeks later...

evolution is not determined by brain capacity. that is just a "perk" of humans' evolutionary state. as humans continue to evolve, though, the logevity problem may be bypassed by quicker processing capabilities. i agree with xandrabeast, though, about the need for death in a sexually reproducing species. like xandrabeast said, evolution is also based on the needs of the species, not the individual....and it is easy to say that not all humans have that amazing brain capacity:confused:....but thats another story....

::Looks at most of humanity::

We use 3% of our brains? That seems a bit high for most people....

Think of how dumb the average person is.

Got it?

OK, now think about the fact that half the entire population is dumber than that! *shudder*

I think the key you're looking for Fellowes is to minimize the poisons you let into your body, stay in good shape and don't let your mind atrophy by letting others do your thinking for you. As Xandrabeast said, we use our whole brain, just not all at once. It's up to you to use the right parts.

You know how we say a dog year is seven human years? Makes it seem nicer when your dog dies at nine, you can say he was 63 in human years. Well I figure that we would seem so much older if we started converted our ages into say, oak years, and every human year is seven oak years.

'It's not so bad, in human years he may have died at 39, but in oak years that's 273!'

"Now I was wondering, if our brains or minds have so much potential then why aren't our bodies evolved enough to be able to not deteriorate so fast so as to let us reach our full potential mentally"

--Perhaps the problem is not one of phisical "evolution"? ;)

You know how we say a dog year is seven human years? Makes it seem nicer when your dog dies at nine, you can say he was 63 in human years. Well I figure that we would seem so much older if we started converted our ages into say, oak years, and every human year is seven oak years.

'It's not so bad, in human years he may have died at 39, but in oak years that's 273!'

Lol good idea!

You know how we say a dog year is seven human years? Makes it seem nicer when your dog dies at nine' date=' you can say he was 63 in human years. Well I figure that we would seem so much older if we started converted our ages into say, oak years, and every human year is seven oak years.

'It's not so bad, in human years he may have died at 39, but in oak years that's 273!'[/quote']

How many oak trees do you know that die naturally after 10 years?

the OP still makes an interesting point, alittle over worded perhaps but good.

if we have the capacity to learn until our bodies fail us, and still potentialy have room for much more in the old gray matter, it does seem a little one sided! :)

"We use 3% of our brains? That seems a bit high for most people...."

I'm quite sure there's a plot that involves giving government jobs to people with the least brain potential. :)

"How many oak trees do you know that die naturally after 10 years?"

Plant an oak tree in Finland and you'll be having a dead oak in no time. :)

You've got to be kidding me. Pine tables are no ordinary tables, nor are pine ordinary trees! They're the manifestation of Lucifer himself! And you can't possibly imagine killing a pine table even with the fierce weather and foul landscape of Finland. It requires explosives. Explosives, I say! (Or acids, perhaps a gigantic laser would be sufficient too)