Charge of Atom

Aniruddha

Whenever I study the atomic structures of Atoms, one thing make me very doubtful...

We all know that same charges repel each other & opposite charges attract each other. Then how in the nucleus of the atom all protons (with positive charges) remain attached with each other, instead of showing any repelling force ?

I could throw around buzzwords like "strong force", but on this level, the standard explanation (that should suffice for now) is that the neutrons act as a glue for the protons. In fact, a nucleus with 2+ protons from which a sufficient amount of neutrons are removed does become unstable because of the protons repelling each other.

I will throw around the buzzword, sort of: protons do repel, it's just that when protons and neutrons get close to each other there's another force, which is attractive. There has to be, in order for nuclei to exist. It must be stronger than the electrostatic repulsion, and it's called the strong force. (Like pirates, we physicists can be an unimaginative lot when it comes to naming things)

• 2 weeks later...

Whenever I study the atomic structures of Atoms, one thing make me very doubtful...

We all know that same charges repel each other & opposite charges attract each other. Then how in the nucleus of the atom all protons (with positive charges) remain attached with each other, instead of showing any repelling force ?

Hey, there exists the strong nuclear force. It's the strongest force of the fundamental forces.