Scramjet screams into history at 7,000mph

Douglas

London to NY before you can finish a beer.

A hypersonic unmanned plane has screamed into the record books using an air-breathing engine to fly at almost 10 times the speed of sound.

Preliminary data from Nasa's X-43A scramjet-powered prototype show that its engine worked successfully at nearly Mach 9.8, or 7,000mph, as it flew at about 110,000ft. It then glided for 10 minutes before diving into the Pacific.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/11/18/wjet18.xml&sSheet=/portal/2004/11/18/ixportal.html

London to NY before you can finish a beer.

A hypersonic unmanned plane has screamed into the record books using an air-breathing engine to fly at almost 10 times the speed of sound.

Preliminary data from Nasa's X-43A scramjet-powered prototype show that its engine worked successfully at nearly Mach 9.8, or 7,000mph, as it flew at about 110,000ft. It then glided for 10 minutes before diving into the Pacific.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/11/18/wjet18.xml&sSheet=/portal/2004/11/18/ixportal.html

The fact that it uses atmospheric hydrogen to fuel its faster speeds is awsome.

I think you mean "oxygen", right? Scramjets carry all their fuel on board, but use O2 from the atmosphere for combustion, and the shock waves due to their speed to compress the air, rather than a compressor like a jet engine uses.

Mokele

The fact that it uses atmospheric hydrogen to fuel its faster speeds is awsome.

I think you mean "oxygen", right? Scramjets carry all their fuel on board, but use O2 from the atmosphere for combustion, and the shock waves due to their speed to compress the air, rather than a compressor like a jet engine uses.

Mokele

doubt it could go from ny to london before you could finish a beer.

I mean my mates can down a pint (Imperial pint , not the tiny US pint) in 3 seconds.

Even at 7000mph , it would fly only 63 files in 3 seconds. which doesnt take it outside UK

I mean my mates can down a pint (Imperial pint , not the tiny US pint) in 3 seconds.

Even at 7000mph , it would fly only 63 files in 3 seconds. which doesnt take it outside UK

I wanted to add this as a side that creativity is going on:

http://www.geocities.com/bmdouk/ and his book is out. The inovator

also gave a talk at the EAA dig in July AirVenture.

I have the lecture on disk as well as his book available.

n3rf@earthlink.net and or 011 - - 202-352-5252

73 from Johan-in-Washington N3RF Chm

Svanholm Research Laboratories, POBox 81 Washington DC 20044

I wanted to add this as a side that creativity is going on:

http://www.geocities.com/bmdouk/ and his book is out. The inovator

also gave a talk at the EAA dig in July AirVenture.

I have the lecture on disk as well as his book available.

n3rf@earthlink.net and or 011 - - 202-352-5252

73 from Johan-in-Washington N3RF Chm

Svanholm Research Laboratories, POBox 81 Washington DC 20044

I mean my mates can down a pint (Imperial pint ' date=' not the tiny US pint) in 3 seconds.

Even at 7000mph , it would fly only 63 files in 3 seconds. which doesnt take it outside UK[/quote']

3 seconds ?? That's pretty impressive, that's 600 beers for the ½ hour flight to London.

I mean my mates can down a pint (Imperial pint ' date=' not the tiny US pint) in 3 seconds.

Even at 7000mph , it would fly only 63 files in 3 seconds. which doesnt take it outside UK[/quote']

3 seconds ?? That's pretty impressive, that's 600 beers for the ½ hour flight to London.

To be fair a plane which dives into the sea is not really much use' date='

British Dont drink larger. I have told you this before. We drink BEER! only chavs drink larger......[/quote']

Depends who's on the plane...

Some non-chavs drink larger, just not cheap larger...

They mention a 1/2 hour flight from NY to London. That's all fine and dandy, but wouldn't you need to start the flight in Hawaii, accelerate until about LA, and then decelerate from NY on in order to actually keep the passengers in the realm of the living (slight exaggeration given, of course)?

BTW- is it truly possible to drink "larger?" I was under the impression that "more" would be the correct term. :-D