Basic Math

I am working full time on my math, I have after some time realized that engineering is what I want to do. Therefore I need to do great things to my math and physics skills! As of today I work to go from complete noob to pro... Sometimes I just can't manage to understand a simple task

Todays question is how come 6-(-5)x2+(-3)x5 is 1? (sorry, I just don't get this one. I end up at negative numbers or numbers which is larger than the number one)

I am working full time on my math, I have after some time realized that engineering is what I want to do. Therefore I need to do great things to my math and physics skills! As of today I work to go from complete noob to pro... Sometimes I just can't manage to understand a simple task

Todays question is how come 6-(-5)x2+(-3)x5 is 1? (sorry, I just don't get this one. I end up at negative numbers or numbers which is larger than the number one)

Multiplication takes precedence over addition and subtraction. Find the products first and then evaluate.

6 - ( (-5)x2 ) + ( (-3)x5 ). dis is how it is calculated

From the Homework Help Rules:

A simple reminder to all: this is the "Homework Help" forum, not the "Homework Answers" forum. We will not do your work for you, only point you in the right direction. Posts that do give the answers may be removed.

• 1 month later...

Well, it's simple. You first do the Bracket operation, then Division(although, we don't need it here), multiplication, addition and finally, subtraction [bODMAS rule]. That must work.

This one should be solved by enclosing bracket to the pair of numbers undergoing multiplication. And then, some IQ of yours would do good.

Edited by space stuff