Thai govt to fight insurgents with origami

Skye

The recent deaths of 85 protesters in Thailand highlighted the resurgent insurgency in the largely Islamic southern provinces. The poor rural communities there feel left out of the government in the largely Buddhist country, and that they aren't represented in the police and military. The Thai PM's solution is a monument to lateral thinking: to fly 60 million paper birds made by students, housewives and politicians to the southern provinces as a sign of unity.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4021459.stm

The recent deaths of 85 protesters in Thailand highlighted the resurgent insurgency in the largely Islamic southern provinces. The poor rural communities there feel left out of the government in the largely Buddhist country, and that they aren't represented in the police and military. The Thai PM's solution is a monument to lateral thinking: to fly 60 million paper birds made by students, housewives and politicians to the southern provinces as a sign of unity.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4021459.stm

Oh, I wish them well in their efforts! I'm convinced that the solution to religious fanaticism and terrorism is NOT armed retaliation. The use of force just keeps escalating the tensions that caused the problems in the first place. An appeal to higher thinking might just work.

Oh, I wish them well in their efforts! I'm convinced that the solution to religious fanaticism and terrorism is NOT armed retaliation. The use of force just keeps escalating the tensions that caused the problems in the first place. An appeal to higher thinking might just work.

A wonderful idea, befitting a wonderful people.

In the seventies they had a whole series of military coups, usually bloodless. I recall flying into Bangkok from Singapore on one occasion. We arrived in Bangkok airspace and went into a holding pattern - for three hours. The military had once again displaced the civilian government and had just been checking with the King that that was OK. It was. We landed to a perfectly normal peaceful city, but one with a new government in place. Much more efficient than an election.

A wonderful idea, befitting a wonderful people.

In the seventies they had a whole series of military coups, usually bloodless. I recall flying into Bangkok from Singapore on one occasion. We arrived in Bangkok airspace and went into a holding pattern - for three hours. The military had once again displaced the civilian government and had just been checking with the King that that was OK. It was. We landed to a perfectly normal peaceful city, but one with a new government in place. Much more efficient than an election.