They kill foxes, don't they?

atinymonkey

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foxes can be shot, which often means that wounded foxes linger and die slow deaths from infected wounds, or they can be poisoned, if you want poison baits placed around the countryside, or they can be gases in their burrows.

what do u mean getting shot results in slow deaths. all that is required is two shots at max.

As for the 'fun' aspect' date=' would it be better if fox hunting was done by miserable people? I fail to see how that has any relevance to the morality of this issue. If killing for fun should be outlawed then i look forward to your post condemning leather shoes and hamburgers.[/quote']

I dont really see the point of the that statement. I am just saying that taking pleasure out of another creatures pain is plainly wrong. I am not saying that killing for leather shoes and hamburgers is wrong. but it should be done in a more humane way than chasing round with hounds and tearing it apart while its still alive and breathing.

Foxes can be shot, which often means that wounded foxes linger and die slow deaths from infected wounds, or they can be poisoned, if you want poison baits placed around the countryside, or they can be gases in their burrows.

what do u mean getting shot results in slow deaths. all that is required is two shots at max.

As for the 'fun' aspect' date=' would it be better if fox hunting was done by miserable people? I fail to see how that has any relevance to the morality of this issue. If killing for fun should be outlawed then i look forward to your post condemning leather shoes and hamburgers.[/quote']

I dont really see the point of the that statement. I am just saying that taking pleasure out of another creatures pain is plainly wrong. I am not saying that killing for leather shoes and hamburgers is wrong. but it should be done in a more humane way than chasing round with hounds and tearing it apart while its still alive and breathing.

Foxes that get shot frequently escape, only to die later from their wounds. And that does mean a slow death.

Like i said, if you can find a more humane method i'll support it, but unless someone can suggest one then banning fox hunting will not do anything humane or moral.

Foxes that get shot frequently escape, only to die later from their wounds. And that does mean a slow death.

Like i said, if you can find a more humane method i'll support it, but unless someone can suggest one then banning fox hunting will not do anything humane or moral.

If foxes were really vermin, then surely there are better ways to put them down than make hounds chase them while you are on horseback and watch the dogs tear the fox apart.

Does a fox kill a chicken with conservative compassion???

If foxes were really vermin, then surely there are better ways to put them down than make hounds chase them while you are on horseback and watch the dogs tear the fox apart.

Does a fox kill a chicken with conservative compassion???

well that argument doesnt work Douglas. Foxes arent humans, like its been said so many times, Humans are superior because they can distinguish between right and wrong,[/color'] good and evil, and have the power to make amends.

How come the humans on this thread seem to have trouble distinguishing right from wrong???

well that argument doesnt work Douglas. Foxes arent humans, like its been said so many times, Humans are superior because they can distinguish between right and wrong,[/color'] good and evil, and have the power to make amends.

How come the humans on this thread seem to have trouble distinguishing right from wrong???

Well i don't know about the humans, but from an Aardvarks perspective, as i've said, if someone can suggest a more humane way of controlling foxes i'd support it.

But no one has suggested a more humane method.

That's the crux.

Well i don't know about the humans, but from an Aardvarks perspective, as i've said, if someone can suggest a more humane way of controlling foxes i'd support it.

But no one has suggested a more humane method.

That's the crux.

Foxes that get shot frequently escape' date=' only to die later from their wounds. And that does mean a slow death.

Like i said, if you can find a more humane method i'll support it, but unless someone can suggest one then banning fox hunting will not do anything humane or moral.[/quote']

Last year I read of a kind of fox bait that had the bait attached to a knob, and the knob is attached to a hunk of cement. When the fox pulls on the bait/knob it triggers a spray that releases poison into the foxes open mouth. The poison rapidly crosses the mucous membrane and enters the bloodstream, so it's all over fairly quickly. By adjusting the force required to set it off, and placing a collar around the bait/knob that stops animals with bigger snouts getting their nose in, it should be specific to foxes. It's also alot easier to monitor the number of foxes you are getting with it because it doesn't get carried away in the foxes belly. Seemed like a good invention to me.

Foxes that get shot frequently escape' date=' only to die later from their wounds. And that does mean a slow death.

Like i said, if you can find a more humane method i'll support it, but unless someone can suggest one then banning fox hunting will not do anything humane or moral.[/quote']

Last year I read of a kind of fox bait that had the bait attached to a knob, and the knob is attached to a hunk of cement. When the fox pulls on the bait/knob it triggers a spray that releases poison into the foxes open mouth. The poison rapidly crosses the mucous membrane and enters the bloodstream, so it's all over fairly quickly. By adjusting the force required to set it off, and placing a collar around the bait/knob that stops animals with bigger snouts getting their nose in, it should be specific to foxes. It's also alot easier to monitor the number of foxes you are getting with it because it doesn't get carried away in the foxes belly. Seemed like a good invention to me.

I would like to hear more of why u think hunting for foxes is better than not hunting for them. not just some comeback , that you think is witty..

but never mind, i voiced my opinion on this and im done.

I would like to hear more of why u think hunting for foxes is better than not hunting for them. not just some comeback , that you think is witty..

but never mind, i voiced my opinion on this and im done.

just to claify my points.

If the population is needed to be controllled then there will be other ways to do it. Right now its automatically assumed that hunting is the only way to do it. No research has gone into alternatives (not that i have heard of anyway)

For those who argue about "hunting" being fun, then there were other fun pastimes like cock fighting . and currently bullfighting in spain which are considered to be animal cruelty.

Also about leather shoes and hamburgers, the thing is nothing comes out of the foxes carcass, it doesnt provide with anything like meat etc. the only thing it would provide would be the fur, but it nowdays its too controversial for anyone to buy it.

just to claify my points.

If the population is needed to be controllled then there will be other ways to do it. Right now its automatically assumed that hunting is the only way to do it. No research has gone into alternatives (not that i have heard of anyway)

For those who argue about "hunting" being fun, then there were other fun pastimes like cock fighting . and currently bullfighting in spain which are considered to be animal cruelty.

Also about leather shoes and hamburgers, the thing is nothing comes out of the foxes carcass, it doesnt provide with anything like meat etc. the only thing it would provide would be the fur, but it nowdays its too controversial for anyone to buy it.

Im curious as to how many of you actually hunt.

In my own expierence the vast majority of people who dont hunt have no concept of the why hunters hunt or the range of "feelings" that they have. "Fun" in no way adequatly describes the hunt. For me it is a spiritual challenge that goes far beyond any mere amusement. If I was looking for fun, I'd go get hammered or play some halo 2, halo 2, hmmmm, its calling me, gotta go.

In my own expierence the vast majority of people who dont hunt have no concept of the why hunters hunt or the range of "feelings" that they have. "Fun" in no way adequatly describes the hunt. For me it is a spiritual challenge that goes far beyond any mere amusement. If I was looking for fun, I'd go get hammered or play some halo 2, halo 2, hmmmm, its calling me, gotta go.

I am not familiar with the method of killing in fox hunting. If they simply let the dogs tear the fox apart' date=' then yea, I oppose it. This is not a humane method of killing and essentially ruins everything about the fox, the fur, the meat, whatever. Neither fits my criteria and so I would oppose it.[/quote']

As Aardvark said, the point of the hunt is to kill the fox, not to get a McFoxburger. Fox are vermin, they spread disease, they attack sheep, they sometimes attack children. In an island such as Britain, where most land is farmland for agricultural and livestock related activities, there is no room for an uncontrolled fox population.

The fox hunt pays the farmer to hunt the fox. They remove any dead animals for free (pretty useful if you have a dead cow). They bring in fans of the hunt and the participants to the local shops and pub, and spend a lot of money. They also train horses for cross country eventing, and keep both the horses and dogs fit (not to mention the riders).

I've been to a hunt' date=' but only my sister actually hunts. I don't really like the people that do it, so I tend to ignore the whole thing.

From what I understand, there is a fox hunt this weekend in Hereford. The fox is somewhere within a 7 mile radius of a farm 19 miles from Hereford, heading towards Worcester. I'll get you a gun, and give you half a day to find the fox. :D

Last year I read of a kind of fox bait that had the bait attached to a knob, and the knob is attached to a hunk of cement.

While I'm sure shooting the fox isn't a humane approach, I think there probably are methods available that are more humane than the hunt itself (lets forget about what we do with pigs/chickens and cows in abattoirs). The problem as I see it is, if the hunt disappears the farmer has no reason left for allowing foxes to exist on his land. If the farmers are given a free hand with the fox population, they will cull it. I see a ban on fox hunting resulting in the extermination of foxes in the UK.

Yes. This (fox hunting) is an antiquated piece of upper class pretension carrying with it disregard for animal lfe while masquerading as ecologically friendly vermin control. Fine. Control the bloody things, don't revel in their blood.

Yes, I agree, it pretty much is. A lot of upper class fools wearing outmoded dress, simpering about how wonderful they are and that Tarquin looks spiffy in his new hunting jacket.

I am not familiar with the method of killing in fox hunting. If they simply let the dogs tear the fox apart' date=' then yea, I oppose it. This is not a humane method of killing and essentially ruins everything about the fox, the fur, the meat, whatever. Neither fits my criteria and so I would oppose it.[/quote']

As Aardvark said, the point of the hunt is to kill the fox, not to get a McFoxburger. Fox are vermin, they spread disease, they attack sheep, they sometimes attack children. In an island such as Britain, where most land is farmland for agricultural and livestock related activities, there is no room for an uncontrolled fox population.

The fox hunt pays the farmer to hunt the fox. They remove any dead animals for free (pretty useful if you have a dead cow). They bring in fans of the hunt and the participants to the local shops and pub, and spend a lot of money. They also train horses for cross country eventing, and keep both the horses and dogs fit (not to mention the riders).

I've been to a hunt' date=' but only my sister actually hunts. I don't really like the people that do it, so I tend to ignore the whole thing.

From what I understand, there is a fox hunt this weekend in Hereford. The fox is somewhere within a 7 mile radius of a farm 19 miles from Hereford, heading towards Worcester. I'll get you a gun, and give you half a day to find the fox. :D

Last year I read of a kind of fox bait that had the bait attached to a knob, and the knob is attached to a hunk of cement.

While I'm sure shooting the fox isn't a humane approach, I think there probably are methods available that are more humane than the hunt itself (lets forget about what we do with pigs/chickens and cows in abattoirs). The problem as I see it is, if the hunt disappears the farmer has no reason left for allowing foxes to exist on his land. If the farmers are given a free hand with the fox population, they will cull it. I see a ban on fox hunting resulting in the extermination of foxes in the UK.

Yes. This (fox hunting) is an antiquated piece of upper class pretension carrying with it disregard for animal lfe while masquerading as ecologically friendly vermin control. Fine. Control the bloody things, don't revel in their blood.

Yes, I agree, it pretty much is. A lot of upper class fools wearing outmoded dress, simpering about how wonderful they are and that Tarquin looks spiffy in his new hunting jacket.