About electronegativity......

albertlee

the strength of electronegativity depends on the atomic/ionic radii of elements that form molecules with an uneven distribution of charge (polarity). so the strength, in actuality, depends on how close the electrons in a molecule are to the nucleus (which contains the +vely charged protons), not how many protons there are in a nucleus... since the latter may cause (as it does, down a group in the periodic table) a consequent increase the number of the inner shielding electrons that screen the outermost the electron that the element uses for bonding with other elements to form molecules... hence nullifying the effect of more protons.

-mak10

the strength of electronegativity depends on the atomic/ionic radii of elements that form molecules with an uneven distribution of charge (polarity). so the strength, in actuality, depends on how close the electrons in a molecule are to the nucleus (which contains the +vely charged protons), not how many protons there are in a nucleus... since the latter may cause (as it does, down a group in the periodic table) a consequent increase the number of the inner shielding electrons that screen the outermost the electron that the element uses for bonding with other elements to form molecules... hence nullifying the effect of more protons.

-mak10

so the strength' date=' in actuality, depends on [i']how close[/i] the electrons in a molecule are to the nucleus (which contains the +vely charged protons), not how many protons there are in a nucleus... since the latter may cause (as it does, down a group in the periodic table) a consequent increase the number of the inner shielding electrons that screen the outermost the electron that the element uses for bonding with other elements to form molecules... hence nullifying the effect of more protons.

-mak10

But surely the more protons you have, the smaller the atom will be :)

As you go along any group the atomic radius decreases due to the increasing number of protons.

As far as i know it is the charge density which has a direct proportion to the electronegativity. The greater the charge density the more electronegative the atom is.

so the strength' date=' in actuality, depends on [i']how close[/i] the electrons in a molecule are to the nucleus (which contains the +vely charged protons), not how many protons there are in a nucleus... since the latter may cause (as it does, down a group in the periodic table) a consequent increase the number of the inner shielding electrons that screen the outermost the electron that the element uses for bonding with other elements to form molecules... hence nullifying the effect of more protons.

-mak10

But surely the more protons you have, the smaller the atom will be :)

As you go along any group the atomic radius decreases due to the increasing number of protons.

As far as i know it is the charge density which has a direct proportion to the electronegativity. The greater the charge density the more electronegative the atom is.

But surely the more protons you have' date=' the smaller the atom will be :)

[/quote']

Mak 10 was talking about going down a group. That is look at Neon and then at Argon -- which is larger? that is what he was talking about. All he means is that as go down the group, the inner shells become tighter and tighter to the nucleus (since they feel the effect of the added protons) but by the time you get to the valence electrons they are sheilded by the inner ones and feel the effect of the protons less. Thus, the attaction to electrons is not as great as one would expect it to be and a straightforward (i mean linear) correlation does not exist between increasing protons and electronegativity.

I think that was his point.

But surely the more protons you have' date=' the smaller the atom will be :)

[/quote']

Mak 10 was talking about going down a group. That is look at Neon and then at Argon -- which is larger? that is what he was talking about. All he means is that as go down the group, the inner shells become tighter and tighter to the nucleus (since they feel the effect of the added protons) but by the time you get to the valence electrons they are sheilded by the inner ones and feel the effect of the protons less. Thus, the attaction to electrons is not as great as one would expect it to be and a straightforward (i mean linear) correlation does not exist between increasing protons and electronegativity.

I think that was his point.