Point of Life

Kranis

Actually I am quite prepared to defend that one word. Sex, DNA, replicating chemicals, even though some individuals might not be having sex or even desire sex virtually everything we do is connected to sex in some way. That and hydrogenation of Carbon Dioxide....

All of that can relatively explained by the progression of sequential systems, as in, it happens naturally because there is nothing stopping it from happening. I do not logically see any component of the universe forcing a direct meaning to it, considering the universe itself is not a living thing nor is is conscious as far as we know, therefore the universe cannot define what life means to the universe, therefore there is no universal meaning (or "point") for life.

If you can draw a logical correlation to the mere existence of DNA and replication and some kind of "meaning" seemingly forced onto it, go for it. If the point of life was confined merely to "sex", then I'd imagine there would be no reason for death.

Edited by questionposter

I didn't suggest some outside force was forcing any meaning on anything, life exists to reproduce, life forms that do not reproduce leave no offspring to wonder what the meaning of life is...

So what if life reproduces? That's just the consequence of DNA replicating to create cells that form a type of organism that would want to reproduce.

There's nothing really obligating life in the universe to sex or any specific thing, every species could let itself die out if every species really wanted to.

This is one of the issues I had with Mike Waller as well, he was thinking about things in terms of that things have to be done or that life revolves around some "selfish gene theory" because genes say so, which isn't true because genes as far as we know don't even have consciousness.

Edited by questionposter

So what if life reproduces? That's just the consequence of DNA replicating to create cells that form a type of organism that would want to reproduce.

There's nothing really obligating life in the universe to sex or any specific thing, every species could let itself die out if every species really wanted to.

Indeed...

Indeed...

So then because life is not obligated to sex, life does not automatically revolve around it. But rather, the survival of carbon based life-forms on planet Earth in the Milky Way galaxy in this universe primarily relies on it to continue their species. What do you think happens if we encounter organisms that appear without sex or reproduction of really any sort?

And as I logically said before,

The universe itself is not a living thing nor is is conscious as far as we know, therefore the universe cannot define what life means to the universe, therefore there is no universal meaning (or "point") for life.

Edited by questionposter

So then because life is not obligated to sex, life does not automatically revolve around it. But rather, the survival of carbon based life-forms on planet Earth in the Milky Way galaxy in this universe primarily relies on it to continue their species. What do you think happens if we encounter organisms that appear without sex or reproduction of really any sort?

And as I logically said before,

The universe itself is not a living thing nor is is conscious as far as we know, therefore the universe cannot define what life means to the universe, therefore there is no universal meaning (or "point").

What we have HEA'AH IS A FAIL URE TO communicate.... At no time have i said there is some universal point to anything, life exists to procreate, if it did not procreate life would not exist. Virtually everything we do is geared toward either personal reproduction or a social effort to support a society that supports the sexual reproduction of humans, so yes even when it comes to humans sex is the point of life. it has no bearing on the point of the universe or the lack of a point to the universe.

What we have HEA'AH IS A FAIL URE TO communicate.... At no time have i said there is some universal point to anything, life exists to procreate, if it did not procreate life would not exist. Virtually everything we do is geared toward either personal reproduction or a social effort to support a society that supports the sexual reproduction of humans, so yes even when it comes to humans sex is the point of life. it has no bearing on the point of the universe or the lack of a point to the universe.

I don't see a logical correlation from "life exists" to "it exists to procreate". Pro-creation is a process that is the consequence of life forming and mutating as such that it will undergo processes to replicate DNA. Where is anything about a "point of life" in that?

Besides, it's better that the point of life doesn't revolve around any specific thing because that means we can accomplish anything with the only worries being the limits of physics.

Also, what if we genetically altered every species to not reproduce, but simultaneously built machines to create sentient life from scratch that also did not reproduce?

Or what if there are organisms that don't rely on sex at all? For all we know the sun could be a living thing, it grows, changes, "dies", responds to stuff touching it...

Where does "sex" fit in with those scenarios?

The only thing you can logically draw from sex is that "many of the known life-forms on this planet rely on procreation to pass down specific genetic code", nothing about a point to anything. In fact, the process of proteins transferring to another location can happen without sex, and reproduction doesn't even always lead to a new living thing.

Edited by questionposter

The Consciousness within beings times the build up of DNA makes how you are bringing me to Human x Time leading up to this which is also Life.

Edit*-An add in.

If you look for a literal meaning nothing makes sence as you will always come to no meaning as why would something with everything need one, what I reflected on and the conclusion i drew is the only thing that makes sense to me.

Edited by Stuart

One word.... Sex.

When I was highly influenced by the Selfish gene theory the only point of my life was "I want to produce offsprings".

Evolution by natural selection is blind, it has no purpose.

• 2 weeks later...
That's the exact quote I have in my unpublished book about philosophy and human psychology.
Heres what i came up with yesterday

I would like to contribute to this triumph:

Evolution by natural selection is blind, it has no purpose.

You can question the purpose of life evolving, and ask the same about living life (the original topic of this thread itself), and then about being in an eternity of Heaven or Hell. I'm thinking on this... meanwhile, do you have any thoughts?

What is the point of life?

Better reflex, man.

Edited by Ben Bowen

The point of life is living it.

As well, one simply equals one. Why is this question asked so often; "The point of life?"

I found the point of life

No, you just made me feel guilty about writing 42 and letting a joke pass. You also demonstrated the contrary.

Edit:

Better reflex, man.

And this isn't a joke. I'm not ready to elaborate it, but if there should be an answer to this question besides "Not a good question." then that's all I've got.

Edited by Ben Bowen

You can question the purpose of life evolving, and ask the same about living life (the original topic of this thread itself), and then about being in an eternity of Heaven or Hell. I'm thinking on this... meanwhile, do you have any thoughts?

We still don't know the causes of abiogenesis on earth, so the purpose of life evolving is open for speculation, if the problem is solvable with in science then it was just an emergent property, it was an another big bang in the cosmos, it has no purpose.

Edited by immortal

if the problem is solvable with in science then it was just an emergent property,..... it has no purpose.

Incorrect. We do not know that this would be the case. Such a conclusion is based upont the methodological naturalism employed by current science. But that methodology is based on the notion that naturalism is axiomatic. We can employ a different methodology based on a differnt axiom - an axiom selected primarily for convenience - and could then arrive at a different conclusion.

Incorrect. We do not know that this would be the case. Such a conclusion is based upont the methodological naturalism employed by current science. But that methodology is based on the notion that naturalism is axiomatic. We can employ a different methodology based on a differnt axiom - an axiom selected primarily for convenience - and could then arrive at a different conclusion.

I wouldn't call a different methodology based on a different axiom as science, if that is not the case then even Intelligent Design and vitalism would classify as a science. There can be other methodologies but such methods have to lie with in positivism to be called as science.

Nice to see you again -- It's been a little while,

We still don't know the causes of abiogenesis on earth

We haven't seriously considered this for very long anyway... and there have been some successful (primitive) experiments, but I'm sure you already know of them.

it was another big bang in the cosmos, it has no purpose.

Alright. Then what could have a purpose? Does purpose really need to be designated? I think purpose solely requires context. Its sort of like saying "Gravity has no purpose." -- but then when discussing cosmological function, one might suggest "The purpose of gravity is to hold mass together."

Edit: What does purpose mean? Re-iteration: You can question the purpose of life evolving, and ask the same about living life, and then about being in an eternity of Heaven or Hell.

I wouldn't call a different methodology based on a different axiom as science, if that is not the case then even Intelligent Design and vitalism would classify as a science.

Your ambiguous/sloppy grammar always makes it hard for me to respond without becoming horribly confused/mistaken later. Actually, you just dodged my original prompt (see the exact re-iteration above)... or wait, did you understand what I meant?

Edited by Ben Bowen

Nice to see you again -- It's been a little while,

We haven't seriously considered this for very long anyway... and there have been some successful (primitive) experiments, but I'm sure you already know of them.

Yes, I have been following some new discoveries in the field, see - http://arxiv.org/a/patel_a_1 and it is still an unsolved problem.

Alright. Then what could have a purpose? Does purpose really need to be designated? I think purpose solely requires context. Its sort of like saying "Gravity has no purpose." -- but then when discussing cosmological function, one might suggest "The purpose of gravity is to hold mass together."

The question is what is the point of all of this, why should gravity has to hold mass together, why should we be aware of our bodies, the body is a machine it can take care of itself, what's the point of all this, as you can see the whole point of life is that there is no point in continuing to live.

Everything in this universe goes into the jaws of death, everything dissolves into an uniform entropy, so if a purpose as such exists there must be something eternal, unchanging which we can rely on and live by such a principle.

Edit: What does purpose mean? Re-iteration: You can question the purpose of life evolving, and ask the same about living life, and then about being in an eternity of Heaven or Hell.

If you rewind the tape of evolution and run it again it is very unlikely that same creatures would have appeared again, so we as a species are here because we just had those lucky mutations which nature favoured it. If nature had not favoured us then homo sapiens wouldn't have existed on earth at this point of time.

So, I don't know what you mean when you ask what is the purpose of life evolving, no there is no purpose, life didn't evolved just for the sake to create homo sapiens. Unless you're coming from a religious perspective and as I said earlier that would require something eternal and unchanging, that could be a god or a thing or a set of absolute universal principles.

Your ambiguous/sloppy grammar always makes it hard for me to respond without becoming horribly confused/mistaken later. Actually, you just dodged my original prompt (see the exact re-iteration above)... or wait, did you understand what I meant?

I apologize for that, if you didn't get anything what I said then please kindly ask for clarification.

I don't know what you mean when you ask what is the purpose of life evolving.

I don't mean anything. It was a prompt, not an argument. Read the prompt. I have reoriented my prompting towards you, to resolve this:

You explicitly stated: "I don't know what you mean when you ask what is the purpose of life evolving" and actually, I was doing the same, but openly comparing other instances: life (the topic itself) and Heaven/Hell. I was prompting another aspect from where to re-approach the original question.

I am still thinking about this, and I tried to demonstrate some of my thoughts in my previous reply. I was wondering if you had any thoughts.

Edited by Ben Bowen

The question has answer imbeded in it.

Your experience is unique and uniqueness give your the experience of life. This entire world would never exist in the first place without your existence. The other is there because you are there. One you cease to exist this experience would enter into a larger canvas and you will find the answer then. Till that time just be.

Don't speculate !

• 1 month later...

The meaning or point of life is choice. Life is a choice, an opportunity we are given, to use as we wish. There are choices that foster more life and more choice. The Secret To Eternal Life: Live Life To The Fullest, And Help All Others To Do So. This choice is simply the result of there not being choice for some things, everything has an opposite.

Of course there is a point to life but if you comb your hair right no one will notice.... :mellow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQ6335puOc

The question has answer imbeded in it.

Your experience is unique and uniqueness give your the experience of life. This entire world would never exist in the first place without your existence. The other is there because you are there. One you cease to exist this experience would enter into a larger canvas and you will find the answer then. Till that time just be.

Don't speculate !

How can you find anything if you have ceased to exist?

Edited by Moontanman