Point of Life

Kranis

What is the whole point of life? I want to know what people think about this. Or even if there is no point at all and we are just here. Or if there is a higher conscious level being out there with a plan? What is the Point of life?

It's really weird, I was literally just thinking the other day that this topic would be posted on this section of this site soon. But, I also came up with an answer, which is

-undefined-,

just like 1/0

As far as I've seen my physics books, the universe doesn't really seem to address the "point" or "meaning" of life, so it's just up to life itself to decide that, and of course there are multiple views to this.

Edited by questionposter

What is the whole point of life? I want to know what people think about this. Or even if there is no point at all and we are just here. Or if there is a higher conscious level being out there with a plan? What is the Point of life?

The point of life is to either believe in the illusion and get a chance to live upto a certain time duration or not believe in the illusion and die.

That's the exact quote I have in my unpublished book about philosophy and human psychology.

The point of life is to either believe in the illusion and get a chance to live upto a certain time duration or not believe in the illusion and die.

That's the exact quote I have in my unpublished book about philosophy and human psychology.

I guess if to you if it really means that, you can create that illusion and think that's true. Any attempt to universally define the point of life is an illusion anyway, which is why I like Siddhartha, because he acknowledged that life doesn't have a specific point, but still said "well at least we can get rid of all the unnecessary suffering".

Edited by questionposter

Learn your environment, experience everything you can about it, treat everything as a learning experience, get to know the people who share your environment, absorb it all and let it shape you as a human. Build every day based on what you know and never stop learning.

The point is, it's your life to figure out what the point is about it.

Learn your environment, experience everything you can about it, treat everything as a learning experience, get to know the people who share your environment, absorb it all and let it shape you as a human. Build every day based on what you know and never stop learning.

But why should you be obligated to that? There's nothing obligating you to that, people don't actually have to learn.

I just learned a lot about you.

You learned that I'm objective and don't think there's any mystical force obligating anyone to do any specific thing which is why attempts to universally define the point of life fail in different perspectives? Well, it doesn't take a lot to know that about me.

Have you ever seen Parks and Recreation? There's this character on there called "Ron", he's basically a living form of this philosophical property. Although it's probably more related to competitiveness, every time someone says you "should" or "have" to do something, he does the opposite just to show them he doesn't have to do those things.

Edited by questionposter

You learned that I'm objective

I saw no objectivity in your post. An objective person would not introduce a term (obligation), imply it was part of another poster's argument and then argue against it. That is either careless, or deliberately manipulative. Neither of these are attributes associated with objectivity.

What life? your life, my life, human life?

Or life?

First of all IMHO it is a bit arrogant to believe there must be a point to your little life between billions of other humans around, living, passed away, not born yet. why should there be something pointed on you, coming from nowhere, that would give a point to your life?

If you want make your life having a point, that's up to you. You have to make your life. Or you can live a pointless life, that's another option.

But since we are on a science forum, I would be more interested to know if there is a point to Life in the broader sense. At last, if there is a point, our human life would be a small part of this broader point.

Edited by michel123456

There are reasons for life but no point to it and we have precious little time in terms of human life span. Life is what you make of it, we all have the choice to, either enjoy it or to be miserable, whatever your personal circumstance. The choice is yours nobody can decide for you, expect nothing, and accept everything you can’t change.

I saw no objectivity in your post. An objective person would not introduce a term (obligation), imply it was part of another poster's argument and then argue against it. That is either careless, or deliberately manipulative. Neither of these are attributes associated with objectivity.

Perhaps not in that scpeific post, but prior to that, how could I acknowledge that the meaning is relative with out first objectively comprehending that there are multiple views? There is no "universal" point of life because there will always be different perspectives, so you can't say the point of life is any single thing because it will be different to something else, not much different than the relativity of time.

Edited by questionposter

There are two meanings to life. First is just plain old experience. If you experience nothing, then it couldn't be classified as a life. Second is procreation. Procreate so that others may experience as well. Ahhh, the cycle of life comes down to two basic points.

There are two meanings to life. First is just plain old experience. If you experience nothing, then it couldn't be classified as a life. Second is procreation. Procreate so that others may experience as well. Ahhh, the cycle of life comes down to two basic points.

This is why I keep saying there is no specific meaning of life, because first of all consciousness is not part of the definition of life, and second off there are organisms incapable of reproducing that still live probably decent lives.

If you say the point of all of life "is" something, there's always going to be disagreement, you have to say "for me, I like to focus on..." or something like that.

Edited by questionposter

The point of life implies that there is a point. If you are religious then your religion would probably give you a point to life. Otherwise Franz Kafka is quoted as saying (or perhaps romanticising): 'The meaning of life is that it ends'.

Kafka was (I think) getting at the beauty that comes through the fact of,and the knowledge of impermanence; we are ephemeral and life is fleeting and there is something magnificent and doomed in the heights that humanity can reach in such a short and constrained life

What is the whole point of life?

'M-hmm. Well, it's nothing very special. Uh, try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations. And, finally, here are some completely gratuitous pictures of penises to annoy the censors and to hopefully spark some sort of controversy, which, it seems, is the only way, these days, to get the jaded, video-sated public off their fucking arses and back in the sodding cinema. Family entertainment? Bollocks. What they want is filth: people doing things to each other with chainsaws during tupperware parties, babysitters being stabbed with knitting needles by gay presidential candidates, vigilante groups strangling chickens, armed bands of theatre critics exterminating mutant goats. Where's the fun in pictures? Oh, well, there we are. Here's the theme music. Goodnight.'

MPython

How do you "know" that though? And what happens if someone merely disagrees with you?

Actually I am quite prepared to defend that one word. Sex, DNA, replicating chemicals, even though some individuals might not be having sex or even desire sex virtually everything we do is connected to sex in some way. That and hydrogenation of Carbon Dioxide....