Comment on ajb blog

studiot

Thanks but I am still puzzled.

I followed the link and came to a paper entitled

"Mathematics in A-Level Science 2010."

This is a different subject from ajb's headline since A-Level Mathematics is a different subject group from science.

There is Mathematics in many A-Level subjects, besides Science some of which may well not appear in the Science syllabus.

Edited by studiot

This is a different subject from ajb's headline since A-Level Mathematics is a different subject group from science.

There is Mathematics in many A-Level subjects, besides Science some of which may well not appear in the Science syllabus.

Following Phi's link I landed here where I found a link to leave a response in the fine print below the post...

You'll want to take that up with ajb, then, since that's the report he linked to:

http://www.score-education.org/media/10036/full%20maths.pdf

This is a valid point. The research does focus on the mathematics content of the science A-level courses mentioned, rather than the A-level mathematics course. That said, my impression is that mathematics course at A-level is also not so good at preparing people for degrees. This has come up talking to established university lecturers. May be that should be another topic for another time.

Sorry if the title is slightly misleading.

And please feel free to comment directly on the blog.

Edited by ajb

Good morning, ajb.

When I found the comments box on the blog I didn't comment because you have raised a serious subject and the only comment there was non-serious and I think your subject deserves better, even if people not from the UK are (likely) disinterested.

I don't think you can view either Mathematics or A-Levels in isolation. Both have changed greatly since there was a coherent structure of education syllabuses forty, fifty or sixty years ago. This structure worked both vertically and horizontally between different types of exam and also linked the requirements of companion subjects to the mutual benefit of all.

The late 1970s and 1980s saw an explosion of 'out with the old and in with the new' so that by 1987 I was in the position where I was helping a graduate Civil Engineer with the three dimensional curvature of a large viaduct and I was shocked to learn that under the new deal he had been all the way through school and university without being taught the basic properties of a circle.

Last Christmas I was given an interesting present. A book called

The O Level Book - Genuine exam questions from yesteryear.

It was certainly questions pupils in the 1950s and 1960 were expected to answer.

Edited by studiot