Remote computer shutdown using cmd

weeeman

I have a bit of knowledge of cmd and have been trying to play a prank on my brother.

I wantto use the shutdown /r command on his computer.

I know the code goes like: shutdown /r /m \\computername

But it says access denied.

I have read that there is a registry that needs to be activated i think but not sure.

Also, I have windows 7 ultimate and he has home premium not that there is much different but i think ultimate has one or 2 different cmd options eg. msg

We are connected to wifi at the house with no server computer.

Please help and dont worry I am responsible but just a little into tricks for a giggle.

Thanks

I have installed psexec and i like the look of the capabilities of it. But i still get the access denied problem. I have researced and it turns out i need to change a policy in local policies on the home premium computer via group policies.

The only problem is that group policies is not built in to home preium and i cant find a way around this. I have looked for a command line alternative to set the policy but i can not find it.

does anybody know of a way to alter group policies in home premium

All the group policy editor really does is make it easy to change certain keys stored in the windows registry. You can hack the registry directly to make the changes you like without the use of group policy editor. Some research on the MS website will probably let you identify which ones you need to change, if you don't already have that information.

Im looking to change the kety in local security policy - local policies - user rights assignment - force shutdown from a remote server.

I have searched for another way to edit this but have come up with nothing really. Do you know anything that can help me or any links.

Thank you for quick replys.

Im sorry doG but one word does not help my problem. If it were that simple then i wouldnt be here after hours of google searching.

Please can you elaborate on that post.

thanks

any key in the system registry can be edited with regedit. I don't have a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium to tell you what key to edit but I can tell you what tool to use so I did.

ahh ok i get you know. Yes i did see somewhere that that was possible but i have yet to find out what key to edit. I will concentrate on regedit since its seems more likely that i can achieve my goal with that.

PS. I know it is another question but, i have windows ultimate and my bro has windows home premium. Windows ultimate allows for msg.exe in command line. If i copy the msg.exe to my brother system will he then be able to use msg.exe to message me?

thanks guys

PS. I know it is another question but, i have windows ultimate and my bro has windows home premium. Windows ultimate allows for msg.exe in command line. If i copy the msg.exe to my brother system will he then be able to use msg.exe to message me?

That's hard to answer. If msg.exe has dependencies in another system file that's not on his system then it won't work. The easiest way to find this answer is to just try it.

i just dont want to screw the computer up. I think that if this was possible people would have done it by now and it would be the first thing to come up when tring to use msg.exe on home premium.

you're not going to bork you system just by copy and pasting it to the other system and trying to run it. at most you'll get an error message that will give you clues on how to get it running i.e. XXXX.dll not found

the most probable reason you don't see it is because it works. nobodies going to write detailed instructions on how to copy and paste some exe

good point i will give it a go today.

insane_alien do you have any idea how to solve my remote shutdown problem?

Copying msg.exe to home premium computer does not work. It gives a line of error XXXXX (X are number i cant remmember)

I think i have found the answer to mine and everybodys problem.

This programme was originally used for windows XP home, it is used to edit the previliges and it seems to work. I have installed it on my computer and the 'force shutdown from remote computer' key appears with the option to enable it (but i am on windows ultimate). I have not yet tried it on the home premium so bear with me but it looks very promising. Will let you know how it goes.

http://local-account-manager.ungsoft-devel..._download2.html

install, get past the nag screen, register later, continue trial, then double click through all the relevant users and edit previliges tab, Force Shutdown on a remote system. ;)

its trivial to do from linux with ssh but i have no idea about windows. These days the only time i ever use windows is to interface with some machinery at work and thats an old win98 laptop. I've convinced IT to getting it running on virtualbox though because i don't think its going to last much longer.

so yeah, asking me about windows these days is like asking a particle physicist about the types of fertilizer used in paleo-indonesian farming. Don't have a clue.

The programme works great. I can now remotely shutdown the home premium computer via cmd.

One last thing, i would like to use psshutdown rather than shutdown.exe in the command line. Just personal preference.

But the computer has n password just a user name. Am i right in thinking this causes problemswith psshutdown

• 1 month later...

Shutdown a computer using cmd prompt is a very easy thing ..so don't be worried about that..u just go to ur command prompt and try this command on this shutdown -s -m \\desktop -t 45

The “-m” switch will allow you to shutdown a remote machine.

In this case, a computer named “desktop”.

I have a bit of knowledge of cmd and have been trying to play a prank on my brother.

I wantto use the shutdown /r command on his computer.

I know the code goes like: shutdown /r /m \\computername

But it says access denied.

I have read that there is a registry that needs to be activated i think but not sure.

Also, I have windows 7 ultimate and he has home premium not that there is much different but i think ultimate has one or 2 different cmd options eg. msg

We are connected to wifi at the house with no server computer.

Please help and dont worry I am responsible but just a little into tricks for a giggle.

Thanks