Green Xenon

Hi:

I'm currently thinking about a fabric with the following characteristics:

A. Water-proof

B. Oil-proof

C. Liquid-proof

D. Grease-proof

E. Stain-proof

F. Particulate matter – such as dirt, ash, dust, sand, mud, etc -- do not stick to the fabric to any extent

G. Drops of any liquid – water, oil, alcohols – do not stick to the material to any extent [even if sugar is dissolved in them]. They slide right off.

H. Air-proof – air molecules does not be able to go through the fabric

I. Odor-proof -- material does not absorb or let odors through it

F. Non-shiny

G. As elastic and tough as spider-silk

F. Smooth enough to act as a solid lubricant [one should be able to rub against it with perceptibly brute force and high-speeds with experiencing friction injuries]

G. As soft as fine polyester

F. 100% reflective of wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation from 300 nm to 800 nm

G. 100% absorptive of wavelengths of EM radiation from 3,000 nm to 100,000 nm

H. 100% transparent to wavelengths of IR radiation longer than 100,000 nm, as well as wavelengths shorter than 3,000 nm but longer than 800 nm.

I. At least as sound-proof as the soft-but-tough substances found on the seals of the emergency-doors of airplanes

J. Is non-adhesive

Is it possible to produce such a material?

Thanks,

GX

I think you need to think about and define what you mean more carefully.

Take waterproof as an example, there are standards which define what you mean by waterproof but you also need to state just how waterproof it is such as the IP codes...

http://www.gps-home.com/waterproof-rating.aspx

A. Water-proof - to a certain extent, yes.

B. Oil-proof - to a certain extent, yes.

C. Liquid-proof - to a certain extent, yes.

D. Grease-proof - Grease for the most part is larger than water so yes.

E. Stain-proof - This is more difficult, you'd have to be more specific here. Most things will stain or tarnish under certain conditions.

F. Particulate matter – such as dirt, ash, dust, sand, mud, etc -- do not stick to the fabric to any extent - nope, that's just not physically possible, you can pick materials that are less attracted to these things, which is mostly to do with electrostatics but I suspect any material that is water resistant will be bad at this.

G. Drops of any liquid – water, oil, alcohols – do not stick to the material to any extent [even if sugar is dissolved in them]. They slide right off. - you'd need to coat your material with a hydrophobic polymer, this is not unfeasible.

H. Air-proof – air molecules does not be able to go through the fabric - Define more carefully what you mean by air, helium for example will pass through a lot easier than say CO2. Again you need to be specific, take door seals they have standards that say x amount of air at y pressure can pass through in t time.

I. Odor-proof -- material does not absorb or let odors through it - if it stops air it'd stop odors. I think you're back to a similar problem with F with stopping odors though, I don't know enough about it though.

J. Non-shiny - See N.

K. As elastic and tough as spider-silk - nope. Elastic maybe but as soon as you start doing that kind of thing you start damaging the waterproof properties. Spider-silk is REALLY strong.

L. Smooth enough to act as a solid lubricant [one should be able to rub against it with perceptibly brute force and high-speeds with experiencing friction injuries], again see F I think the electrostatics required to make something woven is going to harm you in tersm of friction.

M. As soft as fine polyester - the more weaves you have the more places for water etc. to ingress exist, I therefore think this is unlikely.

N. 100% reflective of wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation from 300 nm to 800 nm - so you want it not shiny but 100% reflecting, so you want something that is "white" bear in mid that it probably wouldn't look that white to a human. What you'd need is a material with a lot of scattering centres, but it would never be 100% efficient, so no.

O. 100% absorptive of wavelengths of EM radiation from 3,000 nm to 100,000 nm - 100% absorptive is not possible, you only achieve that at specific frequencies for specific materials based on their parameters.

P. 100% transparent to wavelengths of IR radiation longer than 100,000 nm, as well as wavelengths shorter than 3,000 nm but longer than 800 nm. - see O, also, no because these frequencies are close to room temperature energies nearly every molecule you can come up with has some vibrational or rotational mode in this area.

Q. At least as sound-proof as the soft-but-tough substances found on the seals of the emergency-doors of airplanes - nope, speaking as someone working in this area that kind of thing is very difficult to achieve especially in a fabric.

R. Is non-adhesive - see all the comments about electrostatics this is a no.

They don't have 100% reflectivity.

Nor does anything else, yet plenty of things are shiny

This is one of the easier of GX's requirements to meet.

Cellulose does the job in principle- the yellowish colour is due to impurities.