Stretch your mind - a litle bit of fun

mossoi

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple .... The ball is spherical. That means the whole ball' date=' in its entirety is spherical.

The dye/paint is blue, not necessarily the plastic the ball is made of.[/quote']

who the hell paints a ball? how do you dye plastic? it says the ball IS blue, not painted blue.

... humans do not have the technology to create perfectly spherical things' date=' "spherical" is a precisely, mathematically, defined thing, which humans are incapable of creating, therefore the ball is not spherical, just close, whereas it IS blue.

[/quote']

Who the hell said humans made it? Maybe it was some devine source that created the plastic ball in an absolutely perfect spherical form.

And, who is plastic made blue? I've seen plastic things with paint on them before, that is how I chose to see this ball, so that is how I made my answer.

Who the hell said humans made it? Maybe it was some devine source that created the plastic ball in an absolutely perfect spherical form.

And' date=' who is plastic made blue? I've seen plastic things with paint on them before, that is how I chose to see this ball, so that is how I made my answer.[/quote']

that would be an awefully special ball! i mean, it would have to defy several of the laws of this universe, but hey, who said we were trying to be reasonable?

"Simple .... The ball is spherical. That means the whole ball, in its entirety is spherical.

The dye/paint is blue, not necessarily the plastic the ball is made of."

How do you know it's entirely spherical? I could make a ball that's not perfectly spherical but you'll say it's spherical.

If you go down the atomic level, blue light cannot reflect from the particles due to its wavelength, so it could be more spherical if, say the ball is made of hydrogen. A ball of solid hydrogen. Then it can be more spherical than it is blue.

• 1 month later...

Well, since the ball has been defined as round and blue, then it is round and blue, regardless.

But while blue is a matter of perception, spherical isn't. It might be blue and reflect IR or UV. In which case, should we have better eyes it might be a different color, being blue for human eyes the same time. But it is spherical in shape regardless of perception.

We could assume, of course (though not given) it would be PERFECT blue, reflecting blue light and NOTHING else, which, to my knowledge, is not possible. So that's one for the sphere.

Also, "sphere" is not a perception-related notion, it exists in abstract thinking too, mathematics, physics, etc. Blue does not. Actually, I might be wrong but I don't think there is a way to make it blue but not spherical in any chapter of science. To percieve it as blue, you'd have to see it (since we define blue through sight) thus noticing it's spherical. Two for the sphere.

Sphere has a variable (size) whereas Blue does not. You can vary size and have an infinite periievable sizes of *perfect* spheres, but only a finite percievable shades of blue. Also, a "shade of blue" is no longer perfect blue, but a kilometer-size sphere is still a perfect sphere. So I guess that's three for a sphere.

Edit: typos

So, it seems that the question goes to you Mossoi. Is the sphere a perfect sphere and is it perfect blue. Both of which are impossible.

Either way, I don't think I will ever look at Blue Balls in the same way again.

• 1 month later...

you guys are looking at the question the wrong way. he asked "is it more blue than spherical?"

meaning that in order to determine if it is more blue than spherical or vice versa, you would have to have some universal degree of measurement that could apply to both sphericalness and blueness. that is why there is no right or wrong answer. because there is no way to measure the two attributes on the same scale.

it doesnt really have to be the same scale. just put both scales on the same range of numbers.

for example, if you were to rate a knifes durability and its sharpness on a scale of 1-10 and it score a 5 on durability and a 10 on sharpness you could say it is sharper than it is durable.

I have a spherical ball. It is also blue. Is it more blue than it is spherical?

Let me try.

There are two critical adjectives here.

The object has a spherical shape and a blue colour.

The logical comparison operator {more} implies {less}.

It is illogical to compare colour with shape, but it is logical to compare the values of each on its own scale.

Since colour does have a scale of chromaticity then the degree of being blue is variable.

Shape, on the other hand, may not vary geometrically but may vary topologically.

This means that an egg is considered to be a deformed spherical shape that reaches its maximum perfection at zero deformity by being a perfect sphere. Spherical perfection has nothing to do with surface qualities as it is measured from centre to the mean regular surface.

Therefore a sphere is expected to be at the maximum of its topological scale when it is equated with its geometrical state.

The colour chromaticity is also defined by instrumental measuring devices, but the qualia may differ from one observer to the other.

For fairness, both shape and colour must be perceived by light reflection and by the observer's eye.

Relativistically speaking, we may get length contraction along with frequency shift deforming both qualities proportionally.

The philosophical lesson here is the verdict.

If the observer decides that the object was a blue sphere, as it was given, then the verdict should be invariant for the session, hence the object must be equally blue and spherical or else it would have never been presented as a blue sphere from the very beginning. :D

The equity here is that of the invariant verdict and not of the perceptional quality of variance.

My best wishes.

Here's another simplistic approach:

"I have a spherical ball. It is also blue. Is it more blue than it is spherical?"

The ball is blue (defined) and round (defined) so they both rate as perfect, both round and blue. In which care, the answer is "no", it is not more blue than spherical. They're just the same.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

An object's colour is dependent upon the light that shines upon it whereas it is only influenced by properties of the object itself.

A ball in a room with no light does not have a colour at all. A blue ball in a room with only red light still has no colour (it reflects no light).

Note that this is not merely a semantic argument. A ball that is reflecting no blue light - even when there is light shining upon it, cannot be said to be blue in any meaningful way.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...