Undergraduate Research question

Dima

Hi. I have been doing undergrad research in biochem for about 5 months now. However, the summer is approaching and I am thinking about switching to a different lab. I want to do this because 1. my PI did not get the undergraduate grant, and I would have to essentially work there for free 2. The project is not very exciting and the atmosphere, not intellectually stimulating. Should I switch labs to something i am more interested in?.. how will the switch reflect on my grad app...(ie do they want to see commitment to lab). I should also mention that i only have 2 more semesters until graduation. Thanks.

This looks like a no-brainer!

1. my PI did not get the undergraduate grant

2. The project is not very exciting and the atmosphere, not intellectually stimulating.

I say definitely switch because the reasons seem related: the grant didn't happen because the project is boring and not intellectually stimulating.

Think résumé: What would boring, insipid, unfunded work look like on your résumé? I wouldn't want it on mine! How would you explain/describe it in an interview?

Short and sweet — If the grant people didn't buy it, an employer won't either.

Edited by ewmon

It's an undergraduate course. I would expect it is more important to be able to show you developed an understanding of whatever you did rather than if an employer found it interesting or not. Also, the OP said they didn't get the grant. They didn't say why they didn't get the grant- last time I checked a grant is not based on what you find 'boring'. If it is at all related I would speculate it to be because of the 'I find it boring' attitude of the OP.

As for a resume- it is a resume. If you were to give me a resume and then describe whats on it as boring and insipid then I wouldn't hire you- but if you presented briefly what you did, what you learnt and most importantly how you applied what you learnt then it wouldn't matter what the project was because you have the qualities I'm looking for in an employer. Also, someone who leaves because something is boring may backfire, because for all you know your employer is going to give you boring work that they want you to do reliably.

If you want to change, then change- it is up to you, but if it means an extra year- then why bother? It's not like this is a PhD.

Edited by Suxamethonium

if you presented briefly what you did, what you learnt and most importantly how you applied what you learnt then it wouldn't matter what the project was because you have the qualities I'm looking for in an employee.

Suxamethonium, you do make a perfectly valid point. However, Dima's heart doesn't seem to be in this work (see below), which also makes it tough for him to apply himself to the project and excel in it, and then afterwards, to remember it and talk about it excitedly or in an interesting manner.

Should I switch labs to something i am more interested in?