looking for selective rearing studies

Hello,

I'm looking for studies that show the effect of selective rearing on various brain functions. What I understand by "selective rearing" is the phenomenon by which certain groups of neurons (that is, certain brain centers) develop more fully (i.e. acquire more neurons devoted to performing the function of that group or brain center) when they are stimulated more frequently. As an example, I've heard it said that children who are reared in a music rich environment will be more likely to develop a talent for music because all the music they are exposed to stimulates the music centers in the brain and brings about higher-than-average development of that center.

I'm looking for as many studies as I can showing selective rearing at work on as many brain centers as possible. Can anyone help me by directing me to any such studies?

Things like that are hard to distinguish causation. Just because a child grew up in a music rich environment and develops musical abilities doesn't mean the environment helped, it could be just as likely that the parents were musically oriented and the abilities were passed down genetically. Or perhaps the parents pushed the child to pursue music as well as giving them a musical environment, instead of the music rich environment being the cause it may be the parents pushing their child towards music that caused this.

Also, listening to music =/= having musical ability. You may be able to passively listen to music very well, but that does not mean that you can create music just as well.

[edit] Also, here is a link to different sources for you

http://voices.yahoo.com/research-supporting-selective-rearing-resulting-in-4784788.html [/edit]

Edited by Ringer