Christopher Hitchens and what he's done

rigney

Tell me something about this overly educated and very literate ass who seems to be revered by so many. Did he actually work for a living? Get his nails dirty at a job, or donate a dime to any worthy charity with his hard eraned cash? I can't find a damned thing to argue these questions pro or con. Other than his philosophy, questions about him are as hard to pin down as they are Obama. But then, perhaps my questions should not be a part of this conversatrion? I think a person with this guys intellect and education could have done far much more for civilization had he not sit on his ass behind a desk, write books and make money by taking pot shots at

anything he saw fit. So, screw a bunch of religious bastards who preach false doctrins and asses like this, who think as he did.

Well, someone had the balls to give me a red star sticker, but not gonads large enough to speak their mind, without expecting some conjecture. For shame!

Edited by rigney

Tell me something about this overly educated and very literate ass who seems to be revered by so many. Did he actually work for a living? Get his nails dirty at a job, or donate a dime to any worthy charity with his hard eraned cash? I can't find a damned thing to argue these questions pro or con. Other than his philosophy, questions about him are as hard to pin down as they are Obama. But then, perhaps my questions should not be a part of this conversatrion? I think a person with this guys intellect and education could have done far much more for civilization had he not sit on his ass behind a desk, write books and make money by taking pot shots at anything he saw fit. So, screw a bunch of religious bastards who preach false doctrins and asses like this, who think as he did.

That's the epitome of a ad hominem fallacy. WTF does it matter whether he has got his nails dirty? Is everyone who hasn't suffered privation suddenly not allowed to have a view and express it? How hard did you try to find out about his career - he was a writer and journo (not exactly heavy lifting, but not the easiest most stress free job in the world) btw even wikipedia lists some of the papers he has written for and where he has worked (Cyprus early 80s - not exactly safe, Darfur ditto, Greece 70s ditto again)

That's the epitome of a ad hominem fallacy. WTF does it matter whether he has got his nails dirty? Is everyone who hasn't suffered privation suddenly not allowed to have a view and express it? How hard did you try to find out about his career - he was a writer and journo (not exactly heavy lifting, but not the easiest most stress free job in the world) btw even wikipedia lists some of the papers he has written for and where he has worked (Cyprus early 80s - not exactly safe, Darfur ditto, Greece 70s ditto again)

Ditto, ditto, ditto, my ass! I can look out across billions upon billions of people who will never attain the opulance this man has lived for an entire life time. And "fukka" his good taste in liquor. When enough asses of his caliber reach the threshhold of making poor people feel even poorer, no one with power or money will be safe. Even the very few who are actually trying to save this sorry assed planet of ours will be in jeopardy. Brilliance with only self serving interest doesn't buy you time; only fleeting accolades. Edited by rigney

Ditto, ditto, ditto, my ass! I can look out across billions upon billions of people who will never attain the opulance this man has lived for an entire life time. And "fukka" his good taste in liquor. When enough asses of his caliber reach the threshhold of making poor people feel even poorer, no one with power or money will be safe. Even the very few who are actually trying to save this sorry assed planet of ours will be in jeopardy. Brilliance with only self serving interest doesn't buy you time; only fleeting accolades.

I believe you are American and live in the USA, I am English and live in London - does that automatically render your or my judgment invalid because our standard of living is massively better that the majority of the world - of course it doesn't; our argument is judged on what we say not who we are. Attack the argument not the person!

edit/ Sorry cross-posted with HyperV I will shut up about this now as well

I believe you are American and live in the USA, I am English and live in London - does that automatically render your or my judgment invalid because our standard of living is massively better that the majority of the world - of course it doesn't; our argument is judged on what we say not who we are. Attack the argument not the person!

edit/ Sorry cross-posted with HyperV I will shut up about this now as well

No! you are not wrong to making such an assumption. And yes, we are far wealthier than most of the worlds population. But this guy who was once your countryman and could have done great things for England, came to American seeking his fortune? Tisk-tisk!. Isn't it remarkable what money can do to a person, regardless of their peerage? I've been an agnostic for my entire lifetime, but never have I used it for monetary gain. Am I some sort of an ass for not doing so? But then, I suppose that's why I never tried preaching either. Have a good one. Edited by rigney

Ditto, ditto, ditto, my ass! I can look out across billions upon billions of people who will never attain the opulance this man has lived for an entire life time. And "fukka" his good taste in liquor. When enough asses of his caliber reach the threshhold of making poor people feel even poorer, no one with power or money will be safe. Even the very few who are actually trying to save this sorry assed planet of ours will be in jeopardy. Brilliance with only self serving interest doesn't buy you time; only fleeting accolades.

Rigney, for every person you can show like Hitchens I can show you 10 fundamentalist theists who never got their hands dirty (unless you count snorting coke off a gay prostitutes ass just before giving a big sermon about the evils of being gay) and yet they seem to have popularity even though their arguments are almost to a letter lies. Hitchens made a point in his career not to lie and if got the data wrong he was the first to stand up and say so.

Creationists must lie to support their beliefs. Their favorite thing is to lie and misrepresent science, in fact they cannot exist with out lying. They claim things they know are not true and want to indoctrinate these lies into our children.

If for no other reason science wins over creationism because lies and faith are not allowed in science and in creationism and ID lies are required to support their stance.

Edited by Moontanman

So you have no problem with Hitchens' argument, just his career choice?

Him being wealthy, educated or an ass does not make him wrong. How does getting one's nails dirty give credence to one's argument?

Rigney, for every person you can show like Hitchens I can show you 10 fundamentalist theists who never got their hands dirty (unless you count snorting coke off a gay prostitutes ass just before giving a big sermon about the evils of being gay) and yet they seem to have popularity even though their arguments are almost to a letter lies. Hitchens made a point in his career not to lie and if got the data wrong he was the first to stand up and say so.

Creationists must lie to support their beliefs. Their favorite thing is to lie and misrepresent science, in fact they cannot exist with out lying. They claim things they know are not true and want to indoctrinate these lies into our children.

If for no other reason science wins over creationism because lies and faith are not allowed in science and in creationism and ID lies are required to support their stance.

You're talking 'bull shit" Moon and you know it. There's Gays, Fays and Rays everywhere out there, but you can't come up with a single reason for your stance about a few religious assholes as being thieves and perverts, other than your being a devout Atheist. How do you think those people feel when you go off on them as you do? I've never herd one of them abuse you as such. Sadly, if you were rich, you'd probably still be the most obnoxious ass in the world, simply because of your attitude. You're so steeped in what you believe science is as a religion, that you can't turn your head around even for a moment to see what else might be out there???? Most religious people I know don't denounce science, but pray that it continues to grow in knowledge. Hell! they may even eventually get my vote. Edited by rigney

You're talking bull shit Moon! There's Gays, Fays and Rays everywhere, but you can't come up with a single reason for your stance on religious people other than you are a total Atheist. Sadly, if you were rich, you'd probably be the most obnoctious ass in the world. And it really has nothing to do with wealth. It's just your attitude. You're so steeped in what you believe is nothing but science being right that you can't even turn your head for a moment to see what else might be out there????

Rigney, creationism is a lie, it's easy to show that there was no Noah's Ark, that genesis is wrong, both versions, Creationists use lies to try and denigrate science. I spent most of my life trying to worship god, in the end it's a hollow lie. I have tried to show you why this is true but to you the person giving the argument is more important than their argument. If you don't like the person the evidence is given by then the evidence must be false? Does veracity mean nothing? Does sympathy for the person making the argument mean more than the veracity of his argument?

Don't insult me by saying I have never looked into the counter argument, have you ever read the bible? Really read the monstrous atrocities in it, the absolute lies? Saying i have not looked at both sides is personally insulting, besides the fact that you cannot possibly know what i have looked at or when.

So you have no problem with Hitchens' argument, just his career choice?

Him being wealthy, educated or an ass does not make him wrong. How does getting one's nails dirty give credence to one's argument?

No more than with a poor man getting his nails dirty and being an ass at the same time, as I believe Hitchens to have been. Whas he shrewd? Yes. An intellectual? In some respects. Made money? Yes. A humanitarian? I saw nothing to convince me of that. I only wondered how a person could pontificate on such a subject as Atheism without absolute facts. But then, if a person is a believer, regardless of what they believe, the choice is theirs. I've been fortunate in my life to have not done much nail cleaning, but I have empathy for those who do bust their ass daily making a living and scraping dirt from under their nails. I was looking through google trying to find out how this guy made his salary, etc., but couldn't find a thing. Heck!, maybe he was on relief? Perhaps you could help me find the information? I can tell you what Obama and Bush make and I'm sure they know what I've made over my lifetime, but I can't find a thing on this guy. Edited by rigney

No more than with a poor man getting his nails dirty and being an ass at the same time, as I believe Hitchens to have been. Whas he shrewd? Yes. An intellectual? In some respects. Made money? Yes. A humanitarian? I saw nothing to convince me of that. I only wondered how a person could pontificate on such a subject as Atheism without absolute facts. But then, if a person is a believer, regardless of what they believe, the choice is theirs. I've been fortunate in my life to have not done much nail cleaning, but I have empathy for those who do bust their ass daily making a living and scraping dirt from under their nails. I was looking through google trying to find out how this guy made his salary, etc., but couldn't find a thing. Heck!, maybe he was on relief? Perhaps you could help me find the information? I can tell you what Obama and Bush make and I'm sure they know what I've made over my lifetime, but I can't find a thing on this guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Hitchens

His opposite numbers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_Hovind

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Comfort

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_Cameron

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Ham

These series of videos point out exactly why fundamentalists are broken, I know you won't watch them rigney because to you the messenger is far more important than the message but here they are if you can climb out of the box you are hiding in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Hitchens

His opposite numbers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_Hovind

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Comfort

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_Cameron

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Ham

These series of videos point out exactly why fundamentalists are broken, I know you won't watch them rigney because to you the messenger is far more important than the message but here they are if you can climb out of the box you are hiding in.

Fortunately, I've never had to crawl into a box in my life. And it's not that I disagree with your philosophy Moon, but only in your attitude when trying to deliver it. I am agnostic by trade and probably don't make my points clear, or at all, when i'm stumping. But, I don't hate people simply because they belong to a religious sect. If they want to give their money to a religious coven rather than feed their family or to shoot it up in drugs, it's their damned business; not mine. Lighten up. Actually I don't care much for either preachers or bullies. But to hear a devout atheist of some renoun cry out for equality; well, it sort of scares me. Edited by rigney

Fortunately, I've never had to crawl into a box in my life. And it's not that I disagree with your philosophy Moon, but only in your attitude when trying to deliver it. I am agnostic by trade and probably don't make my points clear, or at all, when i'm stumping. But, I don't hate people simply because they belong to a religious sect. If they want to give their money to a religious coven rather than feed their family or to shoot it up in drugs, it's their damned business; not mine. Lighten up. Actually I don't care much for either preachers or bullies. But to hear a devout atheist of some renoun cry out for equality; well, it sort of scares me.

Please show me where I have said i hate anyone because of their religious beliefs?