prove problem

mathsfun

What is a "proper" subgroup? never came across that term before.

If G is a group, and you have a [math]g \in G[/math] such that [math]G=<g>[/math], then G is called a cyclic group and g is called the generator of G

Here,

[math]<g>=\{g^k:k \in \mathbb{Z}\}[/math]

or additively

[math]<g>=\{mg:m \in \mathbb{Z}\}[/math]

Well basically its just saying that, if u have a group G, then its a cyclic group if there exists an element in G such that if u take all the integer powers of that element, you get the group G.

A nice property is that a subgroup of a cyclic group is also cyclic.

Cyclic groups are also abelian by the way.

What is a "proper" subgroup? never came across that term before.

If G is a group, and you have a [math]g \in G[/math] such that [math]G=<g>[/math], then G is called a cyclic group and g is called the generator of G

Here,

[math]<g>=\{g^k:k \in \mathbb{Z}\}[/math]

or additively

[math]<g>=\{mg:m \in \mathbb{Z}\}[/math]

Well basically its just saying that, if u have a group G, then its a cyclic group if there exists an element in G such that if u take all the integer powers of that element, you get the group G.

A nice property is that a subgroup of a cyclic group is also cyclic.

Cyclic groups are also abelian by the way.

• 2 weeks later...
At a guess bloodhound, I say a "proper" subgroup was just a subgroup of G that in't G itself, saying that though, I don't think I've conme across the term before either...*thinks*...

Yes, that's right. The only real conceptual difference between that and a proper subset is that the trivial subgroup is still a proper subgroup, whereas the null set isn't a proper subset.