Synthetic XNA evolves like DNA

the asinine cretin

From Ed Yong:

"... Pinheiro ended up with enzymes that could copy information between XNA and DNA, with an accuracy of 95 per cent or more. With more work, it should be possible to cut DNA out of the loop altogether, so that XNAs can be directly built from XNAs. If this is possible, Szostak adds, “In the longer run, it may be possible to design and build new forms of life that are based on one or more of these non-natural genetic polymers." ..."

Synthetic XNA molecules can evolve and store genetic information, just like DNA

More Info

Synthetic heredity molecules emulate DNA

Polymers perform non-DNA evolution

Synthetic Genetic Polymers Capable of Heredity and Evolution

MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology

From Ed Yong:

"... Pinheiro ended up with enzymes that could copy information between XNA and DNA, with an accuracy of 95 per cent or more. With more work, it should be possible to cut DNA out of the loop altogether, so that XNAs can be directly built from XNAs. If this is possible, Szostak adds, "In the longer run, it may be possible to design and build new forms of life that are based on one or more of these non-natural genetic polymers." ..."

Synthetic XNA molecules can evolve and store genetic information, just like DNA

More Info

Synthetic heredity molecules emulate DNA

Polymers perform non-DNA evolution

Synthetic Genetic Polymers Capable of Heredity and Evolution

MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology

Saw this in the online news today. Very interesting concerning all kinds of possible applications in medicine, and possible biological applications galore, besides probably in the foreseeable future, the creation of man-made life.

//

//

Edited by pantheory

There was a precedent with Albert Eschenmoser's TNA

"In 2000, Albert Eschenmoser, a retired chemist at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich, and his colleagues reported that they had developed TNA3 an XNA with a backbone based on α-l-threofuranosyl nucleic acid, and one of the six polymers used in the latest study. They showed that TNA can match up with DNA and even twist into DNAs characteristic double-helix spiral. Some researchers consider TNA an attractive candidate for the earliest genetic molecule."

Quoted from this article in nature.com

found this about TNA

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/News/2012/January/RNA-world-hypothesis-TNA-primordial-soup.asp

There are probably earlier findings I am not aware of.

Fascinating.

Edited by michel123456

It is exciting and cutting edge research. However, I would be cautious about the possibilities of this research. So far, the XNA's cannot be translated into amino acids. They are not recognised by conventional DNA or RNA polymerases so they do not present an environmental hazard. However, the use of these XNA's does not seem to be to generate new lfe forms but to do the following, because of their molecular tougness:

These properties mean that the XNAs are well-suited for certain applications. For decades, scientists have created short strands of DNA or RNA called aptamers, which are designed to stick to specific targets. They could act as sensors that reveal the presence of a specific molecule, or deliver drugs to diseased cells by latching onto telltale proteins. Their uses are legion, but they are fragile tools.

If aptamers were built from XNAs (and more on this later), they would be tougher. However, they would still retain their key feature: they could evolve to recognise different targets. Just like RNA, many of the XNAs fold up into complicated three-dimensional structures. Alex Taylor used this property to create HNA aptamers (H is for anhydrohexitol) that recognise a protein and an RNA shape, by repeatedly selecting for the ones that form the closest fit.

Link to Magazine Article

Edited by jimmydasaint

DNA is transcribed into RNA which is then translated into amino acids.

So, the question here is can XNA be transcribed into RNA, which is then translated into amino acids?

If I understand you correctly, RNA polymerase does not bind to XNA and transcribe out RNA.

Also, I don't understand how this XNA was made nor what the molecule looks like.

If someone could post a picture, that would be great.

Edited by Genecks

DNA is transcribed into RNA which is then translated into amino acids.

So, the question here is can XNA be transcribed into RNA, which is then translated into amino acids?

If I understand you correctly, RNA polymerase does not bind to XNA and transcribe out RNA.

Also, I don't understand how this XNA was made nor what the molecule looks like.

If someone could post a picture, that would be great.

I just gave the article a quick scan, but, as you know, DNA is made of a 'backbone' of sugar and phosphate, with 4 bases facing to the inside of the spiral - A, C, G and T. The XNA changes the sugar from the normal deoxyribose to other sugars, such as arabinose. So far, DNA can be made into XNA using mutated DNA polymerases. Also, mutated reverse transcriptase-like DNA polymerases can change the XNA back into DNA with excellent fidelity of base sequences. If I read the article correctly, XNA was not made into RNA.

I have found a picture of XNA which looks pretty similar to the canonical two antiparallel strands of DNA :

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=XNA+helical+structure&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7ADSA_enGB421&biw=1260&bih=560&tbm=isch&tbnid=FKkgDunguEJkBM:&imgrefurl=http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Scientists%2Bcreate%2Bsynthetic%2Bcapable%2Bevolution/6491155/story.html&docid=KgflSUdzQ9bK6M&imgurl=http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/6388572.bin&w=620&h=400&ei=Kv2TT-bFBYn68QOm2_3NDA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=73&vpy=262&dur=187&hovh=180&hovw=280&tx=165&ty=99&sig=102168260961876594193&page=1&tbnh=96&tbnw=149&start=0&ndsp=23&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0,i:83

Edited by jimmydasaint

Saw this in the online news today. Very interesting concerning all kinds of possible applications in medicine, and possible biological applications galore, besides probably in the foreseeable future, the creation of man-made life.

//

//

The bible doesn't cover the moral decisions before us today. It is very exciting that have this science, but we have the wisdom to use it well?

The scientists invented a lab method for making copies of synthetic DNA. They also developed a way to make XNA fragments that evolve with desired properties. In particular, they created XNA fragments that could bind with great specificity to a molecular target in the HIV virus. The discovery could create a new platform for devising targeted drugs to treat a variety of diseases, researchers said.

From jimmydasaint's link

I think this type of work will be the most sought in the short term. The ability to attack viruses on a new playing ground is very exciting. I'm sure there will be a lot of hesitation in going forward however, as it could lead to undesirable mutations!

Edited by Xittenn

The bible doesn't cover the moral decisions before us today. It is very exciting that we have this science, but do we have the wisdom to use it well?

Yes, I think we do. As you might agree, morals can come in many flavors. Atheistic societies taught/ teach their children morals concerning the well-being of the whole society should come ahead of the individual. I think such societies would also make the "proper moral decisions" as in this case. All that it takes, I believe, is educated decisions by those in the field and overseers like the FDA, and most of society will agree. The future always belongs to the brave, and the most timid will always finish last. In western societies an individual's rights and well-being is highly regarding and "the ends do not justify the means," but I think the decisions in this case would be the same: all speed ahead concerning research, and consider all possibilities the best that you can when it comes to application.

As the saying goes, "no risk no gain."

//

Edited by pantheory

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I like it pantheory.Very interesting concerning all kinds of possible applications in medicine, and possible biological applications galore, besides probably in the foreseeable future, the creation of man-made life.

Thanks,

Edited by moragen

Hi everyone,

I like it pantheory.Very interesting concerning all kinds of possible applications in medicine, and possible biological applications galore, besides probably in the foreseeable future, the creation of man-made life.

Thanks,

Although XNA research will only make headlines as these breakthroughs have a new spin, this research will now attract much larger funding because of the many possible future applications. From now on I would expect to see maybe one new off-shoot field of possible application at an ever increasing frequency :)

//

Edited by pantheory

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.