Force carrying particles

RichIsnang

When a charged particle emits a photon carrying the electromagnetic force, and it repels another charges particle, what exactly emits the photon? I think it's the quarks that make things charged so I assume they make say a proton and a neutron differ but How is the composition of quarks different?

Of course, so what exactly emits the photon?

isn't that asking what is the actual mechanism for emitting a virtual particle? the emission, transfer and effect of the virtual particle is a scientific model that allows us to make prediction and model reality - I am not qualified to judge but I think getting into the hows and whys is beyond the theory

I think he's asking what causes the whole "charge" thing and electro-magnetism, and the current answer to that I think is that both electrons and protons emit virtual particles which are particles emitted from a parent particle like an electron or set of "entangled" (for lack of a better term) quarks and carry the forces of nature, like electromagnetism.

No one really knows "why" virtual particles are emitted though or what's causing it, so that will just have to be the extent of hte answer.

Edited by questionposter

• 4 weeks later...

...No one really knows "why" virtual particles are emitted though or what's causing it, so that will just have to be the extent of hte answer.

A mention of the Uncertainty Principle by Heisenberg would seem appropriate here. Virtual particles (and their anti-particles) can come into existence and then annihilate each other, with the virtual particles having large energies (or equivalent masses) provided the particles' lifetimes are so brief so as to not violate the Uncertainty Principle.