Thermite

boris_73

Well, i think our currency is on the rise and the economy is getting better, especially with christmas on the way. If i lived in another country I would consider exchanging some of my money for the dollar, then when its value increases change back.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"If i lived in another country I would consider exchanging some of my money for the dollar, then when its value increases change back."

I thought about that too. I have on the other hand, bought several products from America recently (Two games, DVD's, my lanthanide collection...). I hope dollar doesn't suddenly and dramatically increase in value because of the Geiger-counter I'm going to buy soon from the US of A. :o

I got my magnesium ribbon on ebay and it was dirt cheap.

By the way, electronic ignition for fireworks normally consists of nichrome AND a fuse. The nichrome is used to light the fuse.

Grrrrr, I’m out of town for thanksgiving but my aluminum powder I ordered from United Nuclear should have been delivered today. Too bad I'm not there.

sadly i have yet to. usually i just marvel at it. i used a piece of paper to funnel it into a 60mL bottle and the paper actually caught a bunch of the dust. when i tapped the paper to get the dust out, it flew up into the air...i love the stuff. seriously, if you looked at the bottle you would think it were a liquid. it even flows like a liquid when you move the bottle

why nopt just buy a roll of MG ribon? its £9' date=' thats better then looking high and low for other things,

If need be buy some I'll go halfs on a roll.[/quote']

Mg ribbons ok(ish) it only has a 40% 1`st time success rate on some thermits though :(

Sparklers are well up in the high 90s :)

hmm, i just thought of a wonderful exotic thermite; silver fluoride and lithium, done in a helium atmosphere (hey, you never know, even, say, neon may be oxidized by the fluorine otherwise). who wants to make bets that you wouldnt even have to heat your components to get them to react? takers, anyone?

heheheheh, I`m not sure it works that way, although we have done 3 Mg ribbon tests, but not at the same time. often if it doesn`t work on the second time, it certainly won`t on the 3`rd, maybe the Mg oxide gets in the way or its just not hot enough or wont get deeper than the surface layer?

I suspect the latter with a touch of the 1`st one.

eitherway, it`s not a good ignition method, and with things like this you NEED Reliability!

Magnesium ribbon is actually the method reccomended for igniting a thermite reaction in just about every single place I've looked. The burning magnesium gets VERY hot so heat is definitely not a problem, and the UV radiation given off will also help overcome the activation energy barrier. The reason why if it doesn't work the first time it won't work the second time, etc. etc. is most likely because of the thermite mixture itself, not the magnesium ribbon. I've discovered that with a thermite, the ingredients need to be VERY intimately mixed. If they are not, there's a chance that your ignition source will hit an area that isn't mixed properly and therefore the whole thing won't ignite. I've found that the best way to mix the ingredients is to put them into a volatile liquid and mix them up thoroughly in the liquid. The ingredients won't dissolve in the liquid, but the will mix together very, very well. You can also form shapes as the mixture begins to dry out and turns into a sort of paste. You then just let it sit overnight and allow all the acetone or whatnot to evaporate into a dry mixture. Then you have a nice, easy to ignite thermite. :D

I'm back, I'm back!

I bought the atomized aluminum because the size of the aluminum is not as critical as the iron oxide. Probably because the aluminum melts before it reacts.

thermite2.jpeg

You would not believe how hard it is to get a picture of the reaction. The background is actually pretty well lit I just had to turn down the exposure to keep it from washing out.

I had several kilo of track welding thermit, Mg ribon was virtualy useless, the sparklers worked every time though, and this was factory made thermit as used by the pros.

where can you buy that from and in my opinion sparklers are the best source of inition for things like these that remindes me what are sparklers made out of

Edit: also that thermite seems to be quite tame just guessing from the picture because one's which i have made burnt quite violently and spat molten iron alot