Thermite

boris_73

the ferric thermite, is one that burns about 2000-2500c slowly and leaves molten iron behind, its also used in welding the lead oxide thermite burns very fast leaving very little residue behind a much better reaction to see, it is also ment to explode so if i were to do this reaction i think ill run as soon as a magnesium ribbon is lit, it is also much more easer to ignite then the ferric thermite, is i think it can be ignited from flame

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the ferric thermite, is one that burns about 2000-2500c slowly and leaves molten iron behind, its also used in welding the lead oxide thermite burns very fast leaving very little residue behind a much better reaction to see, it is also ment to explode so if i were to do this reaction i think ill run as soon as a magnesium ribbon is lit, it is also much more easer to ignite then the ferric thermite, is i think it can be ignited from flame

would lead oxide (litharge) be ok to use in the lead oxide thermite because litharge is used in making rubber ect but it still has about 98% purity maybe more, if so i can get 500g for about £5.00, also lance did the Plaster thermite explode like it says it would

would lead oxide (litharge) be ok to use in the lead oxide thermite because litharge is used in making rubber ect but it still has about 98% purity maybe more, if so i can get 500g for about £5.00, also lance did the Plaster thermite explode like it says it would

It didnt really explode because my thermite was crap. I was surprised that it reacted as well as it did. I added too much water and spilled most of it all over the place and it seperated. I just bought decent aluminum powder also so Ill see how that works out.

It didnt really explode because my thermite was crap. I was surprised that it reacted as well as it did. I added too much water and spilled most of it all over the place and it seperated. I just bought decent aluminum powder also so Ill see how that works out.

Nope, not really. I had just heard it was possible and I mixed it in a random ratio that looked good then mixed it together with a bit of water (which turned out to be too much).

Even if I did have the correct formula I still don’t have a scientific scale so it wouldn’t work out too well.

Nope, not really. I had just heard it was possible and I mixed it in a random ratio that looked good then mixed it together with a bit of water (which turned out to be too much).

Even if I did have the correct formula I still don’t have a scientific scale so it wouldn’t work out too well.

actualy i wounder if that would work i dont think that is it but i wounder if that would actually work all i need now is iron oxide anybody know how to get it, one method i have heard is to burn steel wool in a tube that is ment to produce iron oxide