Thermite

boris_73

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much any metal oxide with a good reducing agent will produce a nice thermite. Thorium oxide and aluminum powder works, as does pretty much any oxide with aluminum powder. (Basically, if you go by the activity series of metals, and metal which is below aluminum will work in a "thermite" reaction. Any metal oxide, that is).

LOL that's ment to be a thermite bomb i have read that before i would'nt try it but if you do have a very long fuse, but this lead thermite does sound interesting, you have the iron thermite which produce's slag and moltern iron, you have the copper thermite which burns very fast and you have the lead thermite which burns even faster :D this one sounds like my favourite

Edit: will the ratios for the lead thermite still be 4:1/ 75% PbO, lead oxide 25% Al, Aluminium

LOL that's ment to be a thermite bomb i have read that before i would'nt try it but if you do have a very long fuse, but this lead thermite does sound interesting, you have the iron thermite which produce's slag and moltern iron, you have the copper thermite which burns very fast and you have the lead thermite which burns even faster :D this one sounds like my favourite

Edit: will the ratios for the lead thermite still be 4:1/ 75% PbO, lead oxide 25% Al, Aluminium

Well, Lithium, Potassium, Calcium, Sodium, and Magnesium are higher up on the activity series than aluminum, so I don't believe that the thermite will work with the oxides of those metals. (Since if the ions were oxidized back to the metal, the metal would immediately reduce the aluminum oxide produced).

Well, Lithium, Potassium, Calcium, Sodium, and Magnesium are higher up on the activity series than aluminum, so I don't believe that the thermite will work with the oxides of those metals. (Since if the ions were oxidized back to the metal, the metal would immediately reduce the aluminum oxide produced).

what other type of thermites are there except the iron oxide and aluminium one and what ratio are they mixed in

you can do a thermite with just about any metal salt/oxide and a pure metal of greater activity. just make sure you powder them for nice results.

usually aluminum or magnesium is used with any of the following:

Copper(II) Oxide

Iron(III) Oxide

Iron(II)(III) Oxide

Lead(II) Oxide

Manganese(IV) Oxide

Zinc Oxide

what other type of thermites are there except the iron oxide and aluminium one and what ratio are they mixed in

you can do a thermite with just about any metal salt/oxide and a pure metal of greater activity. just make sure you powder them for nice results.

usually aluminum or magnesium is used with any of the following:

Copper(II) Oxide

Iron(III) Oxide

Iron(II)(III) Oxide

Lead(II) Oxide

Manganese(IV) Oxide

Zinc Oxide

eh, im not so sure where to get lead oxides...

thank you bud and jdurg, do you know the ratio of lead oxide/aluminium, magnesium

depends on your lead oxide...

for the monoxide:

3 moles PbO for 2 moles Al

1 mole PbO for 1 mole Mg

for the dioxide:

3 moles PbO2 for 4 moles Al

1 mole PbO2 for 2 moles Mg

eh, im not so sure where to get lead oxides...

thank you bud and jdurg, do you know the ratio of lead oxide/aluminium, magnesium

depends on your lead oxide...

for the monoxide:

3 moles PbO for 2 moles Al

1 mole PbO for 1 mole Mg

for the dioxide:

3 moles PbO2 for 4 moles Al

1 mole PbO2 for 2 moles Mg

Back in the day we tried that. I figured out the mole ratio and we used Al powder from the milling machine and rust from the metal in the garage. My friend was a machininst. Ferric, Ferrous? We did'nt know. We used Mg shavings to light it. He made parts for F-16's, thats how we had the Mg. It didn't work though. My thought was that the Al was too course. We did find that if you stuff Mg ribbon into a beer bottle half full of beer and light it, it will explode once the Mg touches the water(beer). Dont put water on Mg to put it out... This should be a thread....

Back in the day we tried that. I figured out the mole ratio and we used Al powder from the milling machine and rust from the metal in the garage. My friend was a machininst. Ferric, Ferrous? We did'nt know. We used Mg shavings to light it. He made parts for F-16's, thats how we had the Mg. It didn't work though. My thought was that the Al was too course. We did find that if you stuff Mg ribbon into a beer bottle half full of beer and light it, it will explode once the Mg touches the water(beer). Dont put water on Mg to put it out... This should be a thread....