A Christmas Tree, or not?

rigney

A few days prior to Christmas of this year, 2012; something of cataclismic proportion is supposed to happen concerning earths gravity. Supposedly "it", gravity will be reversed and everything will be cast into an eternal void. "WOW"! That scares hell to me since I'm going to be eighty come Dec.11. I have read tons of material on the subjest but am totally in the dark about it. Could someone please be informative? The below link is about all that I have to go on. "HELP"!

http://www.2012danger.com/

I wouldn't worry much rigney. There are plenty of other legitimate things to worry about.

It's not going to happen. If it did, there's nothing you can do about so rest your mind and enjoy turning eighty in peace. :)

I wouldn't worry much rigney. There are plenty of other legitimate things to worry about. Like what? Edited by rigney

I think someone's overdone it with the drugs.

Hey! I'm actually concerned and don't even smoke. What do we do if everyone starts getting light footed and things start floating off into space? Edited by rigney

Hey! I'm actually concerned and don't even smoke. What do we do if everyone starts getting light footed and things start floating off into space?

Sorry, I was pointing at the author not you.

Edited by StringJunky

I wouldn't worry much rigney. There are plenty of other legitimate things to worry about. Like what?

Gingivitis, heart disease, mold in your shower, an asteroid strike, ingrown toenails, maximum entropy, the flavor of icing on your birthday cake...

Reversal of the gravitational field comes after all of those worries. :)

Reversal of the gravitational field comes after all of those worries. :)

Frankly I think you could probably list things like vampire leprechauns and zombie unicorns in front of a gravitational field reversal...

The destruction of Earth is a misinterpretation of the Mayan Calender. The Mayan calender doesn't even just point to destruction, it points to the turning of a new world in the same context as the coming of the next day. The Mayans had said they went through 8 of these world changes, but the world wasn't destroyed 8 times since they've been around. The Mayan calender just states there will be something different about the world, and so far it hasn't been some kind of world-ending prophecy. Perhaps the calender even ends because they thought they would go to some kind of heaven.

Edited by questionposter

Frankly I think you could probably list things like vampire leprechauns and zombie unicorns in front of a gravitational field reversal...

Oh right, thanks for reminding me! Also ring around the collar, the heartbreak of psoriasis, demons, the Loch Ness Monster...

Oh right, thanks for reminding me! Also ring around the collar, the heartbreak of psoriasis, demons, the Loch Ness Monster...

And all I was wondering about was: What will happen to my relief check, come January??? Silly me.

Just what is gravitational field reversal? I really can't find anything of substance on it.

That's alright. But is there such a thing as gravitational reversal? And if so, how could it happen?

Maybe you were reading something about a potential magnetic field reversal instead of a gravitational field reversal. The first is a valid possibility, the second is not.

Throughout all of history, mass has converged and energy has diverged, and I don't see any reason why those two basic facts should change. Just because some loser ancient civilization had a system of calendars that runs out soon? That's lame.

Both you and I are old enough to have survived the end of the world several times. I expect we shall survive this one!

Thank goodness, i thought there was only one of me left since we lost Dick Clark today.

Maybe you were reading something about a potential magnetic field reversal instead of a gravitational field reversal. The first is a valid possibility, the second is not.

Yes, that's it! I remember reading a very short book some years back called, "Adam and Eve". It had something to do with the earth flipping on its axis because of a magnetic pole change. Is that what the Mayans were talking about?

I don't know what google is thinking, but I talked to someone who got a Masters in world history from the University of Madison in Wisconsin and he told me the Mayan Calender itself does not predict the "end" of the world, just the coming of a new one meaning the same as the coming of another day, and that the Mayans themselves said they had recorded 8 of these world changes but they world didn't end 8 times.

Edited by questionposter

Yes, that's it! I remember reading a very short book some years back called, "Adam and Eve". It had something to do with the earth flipping on its axis because of a magnetic pole change. Is that what the Mayans were talking about?

No.

The whole thing is like one big game of "post office" .

You start of with three facts, the first totally unrelated to the other two:

1. The Mayan Calendar ends in 2012

2. The Earth's magnetic poles reverse from time to time with a period between shifts that usually ranges from 0.1 to 1 million years and averages around 450,000 yrs.

3. The last magnetic reversal was 780,000 years ago.

The first fact gets twisted to " The Mayans predicted the end of the world in 2012" (why else would they end their calendar there?)

The second fact gets twisted into the "magnetic poles of the Earth switch approximately every 450,000 yrs".

Combining this with the third fact gives us "We are overdue for a pole reversal"

"Overdue" then becomes "due", as to imply that we are at the time when the "scheduled" pole reversal is expected

This, combined with the twisted version of the 1st fact gives us " The Mayans predicted that the magnetic poles will reverse in 2012, leading to the end of the World". ( Hey, it can't be a coincidence that the Mayan calender ends right when we are expecting a pole reversal)

Of course, this also ignores that pole reversals take from 1,000 to 10,000 years to occur, but who's going to quibble about details when the fate of the world is at stake.

Then someone confuses "Earths magnetic field" with "Earth's Gravitational field" (What the heck, they're both fields, and both magnets and gravity attract, so they're pretty much the same thing anyway. ), and we get:

"The Mayans predicted that in 2012, the gravitational field of the Earth will reverse, throwing us all into outer space."

I don't know what google is thinking, but I talked to someone who got a Masters in world history from the University of Madison in Wisconsin and he told me the Mayan Calender itself does not predict the "end" of the world...

Didn't follow the link and read the results huh? If you had you would notice the links Google returns with that search point out the Mayans never claimed the world would end.

BTW, Google just indexed the links to the sites, they didn't write them.

Didn't follow the link and read the results huh? If you had you would notice the links Google returns with that search point out the Mayans never claimed the world would end.

BTW, Google just indexed the links to the sites, they didn't write them.

No I watched the intro of the video then googled the Mayan calender thing myself and found all sorts of doom day prophecies ranging from the Earthquakes and rapture to black holes and gamma-ray bursts from Alcyone A.

Edited by questionposter

I'll have to say one thing, the Mayan (calander) scenario has given me pause to think. But after reading a ton of transcripts relating to it, I can find nothing stating that the end of time is near, as we know it. However, a "flip flop" of earths axis' does makes a lot of sense to me. Many Pseudo-scientists are convinced that this has happened more than once in our past history. Do they have a clue? Is there enough research to make an affirmation of such a possibility? Is such a reversal possible? If so, what might be the cause of earth doing a 90 degree flip in just a few short hours? The book, Adam and Eve has a running discourse on how such an event may have happened, but nothing conclusive. Any ideas?

Edited by rigney

... Is such a reversal possible? ...

The Wiki page covers it pretty extensively, including numerous citations:

"The Earth's field has alternated between periods of normal polarity, in which the direction of the field was the same as the present direction, and reverse polarity, in which the field was the opposite. These periods are called chrons. The time spans of chrons are randomly distributed with most being between 0.1 and 1 million years with an average of 450,000 years. Most reversals are estimated to take between 1,000 and 10,000 years. The latest one, the Brunhes–Matuyama reversal, occurred 780,000 years ago. ..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_reversal