windows vs linux

sri_nav

But Windows is more realiable.

I disagree. High performance computing systems are the most demanding systems requiring the most uptime. Today's supercomputers are most often used for HPC applications. Most modern supercomputers use the Linux operating system, each manufacturer has made its own specific changes to the Linux-derivative they use, and no industry standard exists, partly due to the fact that the differences in hardware architectures require changes to optimize the operating system to each hardware design. I don't think you'll find any that use Windows due to it's high frequency downtime.

BTW, most air traffic control systems run on Unix because of it's high reliability since the blue screen of death would be quite a literal result with Windows.

y does processor give out more heat when working with linux os when compared with windows

Lack of firmware control.

/end

Furthermore, I think it would be nice if people made Linux drivers/firmware for hardware, but at the same time, Microsoft Windows could find a way to employ that code into the MS Windows operating system, thus leading to grand efficiency either way.

Windows still beats Linux-based OSs for the most part on the client side. Linux OSs make great servers unlike Windows server systems.

The problem with Linux over and over has been hardware control with software/firmware. The next problem has to do with developers making things for Linux-based operating systems. I suspect much of this has to do with piracy, as a person with enough Linux-based knowledge and coding knowledge could pirate sold software made for the Linux OS, because Linux provides a nice level of transparency that is not easily found with Microsoft Windows, except with reverse engineering. Then again, as most marketers do not have access to the underlying technology and code of Microsoft Windows, they must make things that work ontop of the code. Still, possible to rip stuff from Microsoft Windows. However, exceptions come about, because there are sometimes unique identifiers that software attaches to in refererence to the hardware that's recognized and setup by MS Windows. As such, it's difficult to pirate some software on Windows. But in the Linux world, you could mask and trick tons of stuff into thinking one system is the same as another, so it's not appealing to people to make software for Linux.

Edited by Genecks

Both windows and linux are good operating system..the main difference between them is windows is most user friendly comparission to linux. But Now are days Linux is also supported GUI and its also good graphics as well as features. But Windows is more realiable.

!

Moderator Note

To those that responded to the above quote, which I have removed, the user in question was found to be a spam bot. A very tricky one, but a spam bot nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...

..but linux is more secure then windows ..

no it's not that linux is more secure.As there are more number of windows users they are attacked mostly then compared to linux users.

Hackers generally concentrate on masses then few

Lack of firmware control.

/end

. I suspect much of this has to do with piracy, as a person with enough Linux-based knowledge and coding knowledge could pirate sold software made for the Linux OS, because Linux provides a nice level of transparency that is not easily found with Microsoft Windows, except with reverse engineering.

thers's no case of piracy . as linux is a freeware ,ther's only case of hackers who put ssome flaws into the OS so that the system gets hacked. programmers prefer linux OS because of its free source code,and which can be manipulated to user(programmer) choice.

no it's not that linux is more secure.As there are more number of windows users they are attacked mostly then compared to linux users.

Hackers generally concentrate on masses then few

but linux computers tend to be jucier targets for hacking. servers and such while windows tends to be low value targets such as home computers.

low value targets such as home computers.

well,the source comes from home computers only,which when infected with virus ,Servers are prone get attacked which ever OS it may be.

And also in linux as it is open book kind ,the loop holes can easily be rectified which is not with the case of windows.

The Windows/Linux thing is a real problem for me. My research is much better done with Linux, since there are certain things I can't run in Windows. But Windows is much better for office related work, and I need to do quite a bit of admin too. OpenOffice in Linux is really rubbish, and I prefer Outlook to Thunderbird.

The Windows/Linux thing is a real problem for me. My research is much better done with Linux, since there are certain things I can't run in Windows. But Windows is much better for office related work, and I need to do quite a bit of admin too. OpenOffice in Linux is really rubbish, and I prefer Outlook to Thunderbird.

I've found Libreoffice to be a more stable alternative to OO. Its the default in new ubuntu releases anyway. Don't use email applications anyway.

I think Libreoffice and OpenOffice both honk a little bit - but I have also ended up using Libreoffice. When you say you don't use email aps - do you use solely webmail? or some alternative?

Just webmail, yes. I wish I could use my work email in pine, or I'd just go with that.

But for wordprocessing, these days I actually mostly use google docs.

i dint get a single application which can be used for editing photos.

http://www.gimp.org/

how do we activate camera of our laptop.?

is gmip an alternative for adobe photoshop?

whats the maximum download speed that we get in firefox?

there's no alternative for idm in linux i guess

Edited by sri_nav

how do we activate camera of our laptop.

sri - If you're asking for specific computer help, you should put it in a new thread and give plenty of details about your computer/laptop, especially regards to the operating system.

is gmip an alternative for adobe photoshop?

Yes. The new Gimp 2.8 has all the functionality of photoshop (at least for my amateur needs).

whats the maximum download speed that we get in firefox?

I'm pretty sure this is independent of the OS.

there's no alternative for idm in linux i guess

Depends on what you're using for, there are utilities like this for linux.

http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/

http://axel.alioth.debian.org/

i was asking in general as well

Mine worked out of the box with Ubuntu 12.04 & Lenovo thinkpad x220.

Yes. The new Gimp 2.8 has all the functionality of photoshop (at least for my amateur needs).

Just downloaded it to have a look at 2.8...nice to see that it has an option to integrate the user interface as a single window...the separate ones put me off before.

If anyone wants a Windows-like interface/functionality then Zorin might suit...it is Ubuntu under the bonnet.

Edited by StringJunky

My current solution, though not perfect is to run windows, with a virtual Ubuntu install via Oracle VirtualBox.

I get the best performance in reverse, I run Xubuntu and Windoze in a vbox. I tried it your way and found the windoze version of vbox to be too much of a resource hog but I get near native windoze performance running it in a vbox under xubuntu.

what's the best specification's for windows in virtual environment?

Well, the Cray XK6 supports an x86 environment. Try loading a copy of vbox on there and tell us how windows runs on it. Then again, I'm not going to claim this to be the best host for a best virtual environment, someone else might find something with a bit more horsepower, something better fitted to windows resource demands. This was just a first guess for me when you said "best". :)

i actually meant configuration to be given so that it gives optimum perofromance.and would v box be better or Vmware

Vmware is nice but it's expensive and thus far I've not encountered anything I couldn't do with VirtualBox that I could with VmWare. For the price I recommend VBox hands down. Running Windows as the client OS in a VBox hosted on Linux has given me near native performance to what Windows would run natively on that hardware. I have tried running the Windows version of VBox with Xubuntu installed as the guest OS and had performance issues. I can't say though whether it was Windows causing the problem or the Windows version of VBox.

I can also say that I have run Windows in a native partition as a guest OS on VMware hosted on Suse Linux and it performed as a native OS on the machine. In full screen mode you could not tell you were using virtualization when using Windows.

• 2 weeks later...

doesn't that slow the system.i use it for completing my assignment's on networks but the system gets rapid slow, or sometimes even hangs forcing me to restart and start the sircle all over again

Edited by sri_nav