Why I hate the mental health industry

In December of 2010, I revealed some of my fantasies -- about retaliating against society's unfair codes -- to my folks because I was planning to discuss these thoughts with my psychiatrist. They advised me against it because [they claim] psychologists, therapists, and psychiatrists -- and other creeps who run the mental health businesses -- will reveal my thoughts to the authorities even if:

1. I haven't broken any laws

2. I haven't threatened to break any laws

3. I'm not a danger to anyone -- including myself

According to my folks, these thoughts will then be used against me in the court of law if -- in the the unlikely-but-theoretically-possible -- event that I'm accused [even falsely] of a crime.

That fact these jerks who are supposed to provide mental-patients with "professional help" are instead betraying the confidentiality of their patients upsets me to no end.

I strongly believe all mental patients should have the right to 100% confidentiality, unless:

1. The patient is known to have committed a crime

2. The patient confesses to a crime

3. The patient threatens to commit a crime

4. Patient poses danger to self or others

If none of the above take place, then the authorities should have no business delving into the minds of psych-patients and neither should the shrink have any right to reveal the patient's thoughts to N E 1.

I'm very reluctant to express myself to any mental-health-staff because of the warning given to me by my family.

There is an infinite difference between the following:

1. Harboring thoughts about perpetrating illegal acts

2. Actually perpetrating -- or threatening to perpetrate -- such acts

Psych-patients -- like me -- should have full right to express #1 to mental health staff without risking legal/social consequences. On the other hand, no one should have any right to do #2.

Edited by Green Xenon

In December of 2010, I revealed some of my fantasies -- about retaliating against society's unfair codes -- to my folks because I was planning to discuss these thoughts with my psychiatrist. They advised me against it because [they claim] psychologists, therapists, and psychiatrists -- and other creeps who run the mental health businesses -- will reveal my thoughts to the authorities even if:

What evidence do you have that this is true? Most states recognize the right of doctor-patient confidentiality and only allow limited disclosure of medical information if, for example, the patient has a transmissible disease that is a danger to society (e.g. the patient has HIV and wants to sleep around), or the patient breaks the criteria you list above.

See also:

http://www.enotes.com/healthcare-reference/doctor-patient-confidentiality

Now, is there anything you want to discuss, or do you just wish to air your complaints on SFN? SFN isn't a personal blog; please see rule 8. There are better places to complain.

Mental health professionals are obligated to keep doctor-patient confidentiality unless there is a risk to the patient or to society. Expressing thoughts by themselves is not enough to be considered as harm (usually). It is the psychiatrist/psychologist's job to judge whether or not those thoughts are at an *immediate* risk to be manifested into actions.

If they are, the thinking is to (a) prevent harm to the person and to society and (b) to treat the problem. As you, yourself, admitted in the other thread, acting upon those thoughts is a problem. So if a psychologist or psychiatrist suspects immediate harm, they will treat the problem.

Psychiatrists can only help if you are honest with them. If you don't have an intention to act on these thoughts, and you want to share these thoughts for the goal of dealing with them productively (hence, not harm others) then telling them to a professional is actually a good idea.

This is the best venue to expose these type of thoughts without being misunderstood and "getting in trouble".

Obviously, the one most important thing in treatment is to have a good relationship to your therapist. You need to have trust, both ways. If you have that, you need to trust your doctor that they are professional enough to know the difference between thoughts that you want to deal with and actual immediate intent to harm someone. It doesn't sound like you want to immediately harm someone, but I am no professional. You really should not hold back from a professional therapist.

According to my folks, these thoughts will then be used against me in the court of law if -- in the the unlikely-but-theoretically-possible -- event that I'm accused [even falsely] of a crime.

That fact these jerks who are supposed to provide mental-patients with "professional help" are instead betraying the confidentiality of their patients upsets me to no end.

I strongly believe all mental patients should have the right to 100% confidentiality, unless:

If none of the above take place, then the authorities should have no business delving into the minds of psych-patients and neither should the shrink have any right to reveal the patient's thoughts to N E 1.

I'm very reluctant to express myself to any mental-health-staff because of the warning given to me by my family.

Psych-patients -- like me -- should have full right to express #1 to mental health staff without risking legal/social consequences. On the other hand, no one should have any right to do #2.

So you didn't read your confidentiality disclosure?

I'm pretty sure any psychologist worth their salt knows that people (psychological problems or not) often have thoughts about illegal activities even though they will never carry them out.

Hell, I've thought about throwing a computer at my ex-boss's head many a time to quench the unending stream of drivel that came out his mouth but thankfully his superiors got sick of it as well and fired him. that was a happy day at work. (don't worry, the new boss is much better. She actually knows how to do her job).

A psychologist isn't going to report you to the police for something like that. maybe if you had a history of violence and you told him/her that you had just bought a gun and were going to murder someone after the session then they would be required to tell the police.

talk to your psychologist, they'll have seen it a thousand times before and i'm quite sure we'd have heard about it LONG ago if they regularly broke confidentiality. everybody has fantasies about who or what they hate and journalists go to psychologists too. i'm quite sure they wouldn't keep quiet about it.

In the uk a Mental health professional will only break client confidentiality if a) the client poses an IMMEDIATE danger to themselves, ie risk of Suicide, or b) an immediate danger to others at a level where the client would be sectioned (forcibly incarcerated in a secure mental institution) under the mental health act.

Otherwise, anything that is said in the consulting room will stay confidential. Most Psychs will have heard threats of almost every imaginable action under the sun, its all in the way the mind works. Its not illegal to harbor thoughts about anything, at least not in my culture. You have to carry them out to commit any crime.

Mental heath workers are legally bound by professional confidentiality, however family members are not!

Bilks

I wonder how many responders have actually had to deal with the mental health industry. Fortunately, we'll all be going there soon.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the original question, but for the record I have worked as a mental health practitioner.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the original question, but for the record I have worked as a mental health practitioner.

What original question? This is a rant! This is where everyday people rant about their problems with the mental health industry and mental health practitioners try to lower our pitchforks. That's the discussion.