"What keeps A Human Alive?"

Steven Hawkins

Hello everyone, what keeps a human alive??

Since the human body has heat, and works much like an external device to move around with on this planet, then what is the source of this energy?

Metaphysical And Or Spiritual:

Is it the soul?

Scientific:

Is the human body "plugged" into an invisible machine, much like a radio, or tv?

And if so, where does this energy come from? and where does this energy get recycled as per E= mc squared as energy conservation when a human being dies?

If this energy is thus conserved does this mean humans can be:

Scientific:

Recycled?

Metaphysical And Or Spiritual:

Re-incarnated?

Thanks in Adavnce...

Edited by Steven Hawkins

Hello everyone, what keeps a human alive??

Food, water, air.

Since the human body has heat, and works much like an external device to move around with on this planet, then what is the source of this energy?

Food.

If this energy is thus conserved does this mean humans can be:

Recycled?

All humans are recycled. Your atoms will eventually be a part of something that is not you.

Is the human body "plugged" into an invisible machine, much like a radio, or tv?

While I have no evidence, I'm going to go ahead and definitively say no.

If you eat meat, it gets its energy from other meat, or from plants.

If you eat plants, they get their energy from photosynthesis, which gets its energy from the Sun.

The Sun gets its energy from nuclear fusion.

I'm not sure how a soul enters into it.

I think my grammar must not have made the proper sense.

What is energy???

That is a metaphysical question and a non-physical soul can enter into the picture only if physical things don't really exist out there.

Duh, just like the fuel of a car engine! The kind that combust. How else are we supposed to stay alive? Everyone knows that 'heart' is just a figure of poetry in the Bible! It's really the Bible that keeps us at Gods mercy! Especially the combustible copies.

We can ask a lot of simple questions regarding life. Because topics like this can melt into a terrible mangle of ambiguity, avoid large questions. Start small, throw in a concise response, and then expand to more. Rather than deferring from your original question (often vague), ask a new question. Considering this, you might completely replace your first question, relate it to a more generic question, or form a subordinate question.

Here's an example:

What keeps a human alive?

A variety of function within its own ensemble.

What is life?

Facilitated by reproduction.

When does life die?

Cells cannot function.

What is the most essential mechanism for human life?

Blood flow.

As this is a topic shared by others of the forum, please consider expanding and improving what I started above. Although, its not mandatory to use the same quote-response format I used (or any format), but by a method like this, we can sensibly discuss the matters of life.

Remarkably, this single Wikipedia page is greatly relevant for both the philosophy of ambiguity and aspect, as well as the actual topic we have here (life): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

Edited by Ben Bowen

I think my grammar must not have made the proper sense.

What is energy???

Where does food get this energy from?

What is the strong nuclear force of energy, within the scientific terms?

There is energy in electron-rich chemical bonds that can be oxidized. When chemical bonds break as in larger molecules breaking down into smaller ones such as gasoline (hydrocarbon chains) burning into CO2 and H2O or for humans the glucose consumed breaking down into CO2 and H2O, energy is provided for various functions to keep us living such as in synthesis of larger molecules from smaller ones (ie. proteins from amino acids).

Food. You get energy by eating things.

This is not meant to offend but I think this is bullcrap. Some people do not need food to live. Prahlad Jani is one example and I'm sure there are many others. He hasn't eaten for many years yet he is still alive so the 'food is energy theory' is bogus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_(esotericism)

Edited by seriously disabled

The simple answer is...

ENTROPY....

We live... in the range... of entropy... of the range by which energy moves from one state... to a lower one... and the heat loss.. is our life force.

Star trek... said it best...

"Time is the fire in which we burn"

Time.. where by these chemical processes occur.. and the excess energy of those changes... allows for all life to exist.

plants.. obsorb energy... we eat plants... chemical changes.. occur.. and we.. obsorb and take up the excess...

That extra energy.. in this process of break down from a higher state to a lower state... is what powers all life.

Entropy.. is our friend....

-Mosheh Thezion

This is not meant to offend but I think this is bullcrap. Some people do not need food to live. Prahlad Jani is one example and I'm sure there are many others. He hasn't eaten for many years yet he is still alive so the 'food is energy theory' is bogus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_(esotericism)

No such person has willingly subjected themselves to scientific testing and demonstrated their claims to be true.

No such person has willingly subjected themselves to scientific testing and demonstrated their claims to be true.

The reason why seriously disabled seems to be too confident that the theory "food is energy" is bogus is because of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inedia#Prahlad_Jani_.28.22Mataji.22.29

Prahlad Jani is an Indian 81 year old sadhu who has claimed to have lived without food and water for the last 70 years. His ability to live without food and water was investigated by doctors at Sterling Hospital, Ahmedabad, Gujarat in 2003 and 2010.[39] The research team reported that he did not consume any food or water during the testing periods, although they could not comment on his claim of having been able to survive in this way for 70 years.[40] The study concluded that Prahlad Jani was able to survive under observation for two weeks without either food or water, and had passed no urine or stool,[41] with no need for dialysis.[42]

Interviews with the researchers speak of strict observation and relate that round-the-clock observation was ensured by multiple CCTV cameras. Jani was reportedly subjected to multiple medical tests.[40] Jani's only contact with any form of fluid was during gargling and bathing, and the doctors said they measured the fluid that Jani spat out.[8]

The case has attracted criticism, both after 2003 tests and after the recent 2010 tests. Sanal Edamaruku, president of the Indian Rationalist Association, criticized the 2010 experiment for allowing Jani to move out of a certain CCTV camera's field of view, meet devotees and leave the sealed test room to sunbathe. Edamaruku stated that the regular gargling and bathing activities were not sufficiently monitored,[43] and accused Jani of having had some "influential protectors" who denied Edamaruku permission to inspect the project during its operation.[43]

I don't know if it's true or not but according to some religions like Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Shamanism, Daoism and Spiritualism it's quite possible to live without food and drink.

Wikipedia agrees with me on this but I don't know if this source is completely reliable or not.

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Inedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamanism

Edited by seriously disabled