Career Question: Interested in Computer Science

Oscurece

Hi all,

I’m about to graduate with my bachelor’s in BiomedicalSciences, but I’m not very interested in going to grad school in healthcare. I’mthinking about switching to the field of computer science. While I don’t haveany background in computer science, I spend a lot of time on the computer andthink I could pick up the concepts quickly. One thing I’m worried about though,is that I don’t really consider myself a very creative person. I’m not good atcoming up with ideas and such. I feel I am stronger with retaining informationand applying it through analysis and decision making. Do you think this willhinder me in computer science? Can you guys give me some qualities that makefor a good computer scientist?

Thank you for your time and input.

I'm getting my PhD in a computational biology field. Many comp-bio programs accept students from related fields and you can take all the CS courses you want, if this is something you're interested in you might not need any additional formal coursework to apply to a grad school.

Don't expect to make much money for the first 3 years though, but your college degree doesn't matter.

Learn an in demand language like Java, C# with ASP.NET framework and SQL and you'll keep work.

You might have to start for something low like $15/hr but you'll work up the better you understand object oriented programming, web services and sql stored procedures, triggers, ect.

Go for it, I've been a programmer for nearly 10 years, and I am switching to something involving microbiology.

Hrm. I just realized my original post didn't copy well. Sorry about that. Anyway, the only math class I've taken is Statistics (got AP credit for Cal I/II). I don't have any programming background or experience.

I'm getting my PhD in a computational biology field. Many comp-bio programs accept students from related fields and you can take all the CS courses you want, if this is something you're interested in you might not need any additional formal coursework to apply to a grad school.

Do you have any link to or any information about these types of programs? Because this would be something I'm interested in, especially if the prereq work is minimal.

"One thing I’m worried about though,is that I don’t really consider myself a very creative person. I’m not good atcoming up with ideas and such."

Have you considered management?