Can we make a new kind of spring?

Kain

I was wondering if it is possible to create a new type of spring or device that stays the same energy output as it's is being compressed? normally when you compress a spring the more one compresses it, the harder it is to compress.

I was wondering if it is possible to create a new type of spring or device that stays the same energy output as it's is being compressed? normally when you compress a spring the more one compresses it, the harder it is to compress.

I think you are not getting any response because what you to seem to describe wouldn't be a spring. I suppose you could make a device based on an electric motor that pushes back at constant force, but I don't know what it might be used for. A steady force akin to compression would take it the full extent of its travel or not move it at all. Springs work in accordance with Hooke's Law:- http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/271336/Hookes-law

Edited by Joatmon

Constant rate, as opposed to variable rate, springs already exist. See spring in wikipedia and the linked references for constant and variable rate springs.

Constant rate, as opposed to variable rate, springs already exist. See spring in wikipedia and the linked references for constant and variable rate springs.

Good point. My 8 day clock spring hardly changes the amount of force needed to wind it up until you reach a quite sudden stop.

• 2 weeks later...