Air Gear (aka: electrical powered inline skates)

Roaxis

Ok, so I did some reading on the fourms before posting this and uncovered an old thread regarding air gear. This caught my interest because as a part of my Network Administration classes I'm taking Human Hardware Interaction as an elective. As a thought for the project I was thinking about trying to make my own set of Air Gear. Now, I know that someone pointed out the video "rocket skates" on youtube in the post I found. However, to simplify the use of the air gear I was thinking that I would somehow fabricate a sensor pad to detect the pressure of how a person uses the inline skates. As an example I will use the way I skate; when applying pressure to move forward I tend to place more forward pressure. So when programming the pressure pad I will make it so that when (x) amount of preasure is applied in the back it activates a kind of brake system and cuts power to the main motors. To actually power the skates I was thinking about using a motor that had some kind of magnet that could possibly generate excess power to recharge a battery pack containing two LI rechargable batteries. The only other problem that I see is actually taking the time to make the frame for the inlines and finding custom wheels, if I am unable to obtain that I will have to figure that the far back and middle front wheels will be used for braking. The only other issues I see aside from the motors and the power supply would be a shock system to make the ride a little smoother.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that you've got a pretty good grasp on the( air gear idea do you plan to make it compact(challenging making things fit) or are you going for a big bulky design (as the starter before you move on to 'smaller and better'things)I would also like to ask if you've seen the air gear series itself. Also after a bit of research I have found some people who have made some decent air treks using a wireless wrist controller to alternate the speeds you should have a look maybe it'll give you some ideas for improvements to your already good design. Have a look on their site they have even got some test run videos made, here is the link:http://www.etotheipiplusone.net/?page_id=700

I hope I have helped a little with your progress.rolleyes.gif

ps: when you have everything done could you post some pics and videos of them I've always wanted air treks since I saw d anime.

Ok, so I did some reading on the fourms before posting this and uncovered an old thread regarding air gear. This caught my interest because as a part of my Network Administration classes I'm taking Human Hardware Interaction as an elective. As a thought for the project I was thinking about trying to make my own set of Air Gear. Now, I know that someone pointed out the video "rocket skates" on youtube in the post I found. However, to simplify the use of the air gear I was thinking that I would somehow fabricate a sensor pad to detect the pressure of how a person uses the inline skates. As an example I will use the way I skate; when applying pressure to move forward I tend to place more forward pressure. So when programming the pressure pad I will make it so that when (x) amount of preasure is applied in the back it activates a kind of brake system and cuts power to the main motors. To actually power the skates I was thinking about using a motor that had some kind of magnet that could possibly generate excess power to recharge a battery pack containing two LI rechargable batteries. The only other problem that I see is actually taking the time to make the frame for the inlines and finding custom wheels, if I am unable to obtain that I will have to figure that the far back and middle front wheels will be used for braking. The only other issues I see aside from the motors and the power supply would be a shock system to make the ride a little smoother.

OMG Thats pretty much the exact way I was going to create air treks ! I have blue prints ready, All i'm waiting for is to buy the parts i need...Do you want to help each other out so these so called "air treks" be created?

To actually power the skates I was thinking about using a motor that had some kind of magnet that could possibly generate excess power to recharge a battery pack containing two LI rechargable batteries.

If you pull this off, let the Nobel Prize folks know, because you'll be sure to win the prize in Physics.

You can't use an electric motor to drive any sort of generator to recharge the batteries that you're using to drive the motor. In the vernacular, that's a "perpetual motion" machine. In geek speak, it's a violation of the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.

• 1 month later...

why not put a small cushion of air between the two layers as a shock system, and when pressing down with your whole foot, channel the air pressure into a tiny turbine so that shifting your weight will slightly increase the out put power, or even use the electrical power generated to recharge the power cells on the roller blades. it is sound in theory, and oddly enough the same principles added by the author of air gear.

• 2 weeks later...

there are a few forums dedicated to AT technology(AT haven, AT Project 3...) and blueprints are being improved all the time. its only a matter of time before these become actual things, really. the problem is in getting motors that are compact, powerful, and efficient. seeing as increasing one of these will decrease another naturally, you'll have to find an acceptable balance between power and size. this not considering cost, of course. more expensive motors should perform better, but you can't make it super expensive either. more trade-offs!

also, never fall for the "power the skates with tiny wind turbines", or the "generators in the motors" tricks. things like this are cool, but way far out there, and will only inhibit progress. the first rule of engineering is to keep it simple!

• 4 months later...

Hey there guys. I've been working on Air Treks lately with the help of what I found on this forum and I got in contact with the guy from MIT who actually made a pair but I still need a bit of help. If anyone is still actively watching this thread could you PM me or reply please?

I'm looking for the AT forums MakeItReal mentioned as well as to bounce a few ideas off people. I got a "break down" of how they worked for the guy in MIT and I'm trying to get some people together to finish them.

Roaxis made a comment "However, to simplify the use of the air gear I was thinking that I would somehow fabricate a sensor pad to detect the pressure of how a person uses the inline skates." The way I plan on going with this is, instead of a sensor making a wireless connection to a palm pad like they did in MIT. It requires wireless programming and a sensor pad to a degree. What it does is the harder you squeeze your hand, the faster it makes you go since the sensors tell the motors to turn on and move forward (in a nutshell). Again, that was something designed in MIT that I hope to modify. I'd love to make it foot pressure sensory activated instead of palm so it's more like natural skating, plus it doesn't require wireless programming (which is a jerk to do). But I'd rather make them more like air treks instead of being sort of "remote controlled"

I know this post is quite dead and most members are no longer active but I figured I'd give it a shot!

Edited by thesongbird

Hello, Songbird! I actually saw you friend me and that is why I'm here XD

Apparently I'm not allowed to link to the forums by posting, but if you're interested I think I'm allowed to PM you with a link. However, I must say that it's a little dead these days X|

That doesn't stop it from being the epicenter of AT technology though!

Hello, Songbird! I actually saw you friend me and that is why I'm here XD

Apparently I'm not allowed to link to the forums by posting, but if you're interested I think I'm allowed to PM you with a link. However, I must say that it's a little dead these days X|

That doesn't stop it from being the epicenter of AT technology though!

It can be dead as a doornail. Just need some prints and ideas. I'm not leaving until I leave the ground. Charles (the MIT guy) was a great help, now the rest is up to whoever wants involved haha. Seeing the ones he made is just so....inspiring.

And with air pressure mods plus proper motor tuning, hopefully they can go further than 3 miles too.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

"Air Treks" were created years ago. How do you think they got the idea to make the series? They had to get it from somewhere, and they got it from the REAL THING. They are only 6 years old... So they are relatively new. Since you haven't heard of them, might just mean you don't travel in the right circles.

"Air Treks" were created years ago. How do you think they got the idea to make the series? They had to get it from somewhere, and they got it from the REAL THING. They are only 6 years old... So they are relatively new. Since you haven't heard of them, might just mean you don't travel in the right circles.

Where? I only find mock-ups, CAD drawings and cartoons.

Where? I only find mock-ups, CAD drawings and cartoons.

I could give you a way to make them, but it involves strapping a chain saw engine to the back of one skate, but it workssmile.png. I am working on a way to make them work on both blades. Anyone have any suggestions on a smaller motor I could use for mine, because the chain saw engine gives you a little to much torque.

Here is two links of what it looks like:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bid8z7-XvTU

www.youtube.com/watch?v=50b_DKRothM‎

Lightmeow, what do you mean by the torque is to high?

Is it jumpy; rapid velocity changes?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did a bit of research on electric power skate boards ~5 years ago.

For best power density at low torque, which is what you need, the Axi Outrunner series motors were nearly the highest at that time. They are used on model airplanes. Anything much better, in electric, is probably fantasy.

Highest usable power density batteries available are Lithium polymer, as far as I know.

So how do you get the required power density crammed into some footware so you can zoom around? I don't know.

But, all and all, electric power has nowhere near as much power density as nitromethane used in a two stroke engine. But the torque range is narrow. The technological challenge would be the transmission.

Edited by decraig

Lightmeow, what do you mean by the torque is to high?

Is it jumpy; rapid velocity changes?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did a bit of research on electric power skate boards ~5 years ago.

For best power density at low torque, which is what you need, the Axi Outrunner series motors were nearly the highest at that time. They are used on model airplanes. Anything much better, in electric, is probably fantasy.

Highest usable power density batteries available are Lithium polymer, as far as I know.

So how do you get the required power density crammed into some footware so you can zoom around? I don't know.

But, all and all, electric power has nowhere near as much power density as nitromethane used in a two stroke engine. But the torque range is narrow. The technological challenge would be the transmission.

I mean to fast of velocity changes. You can land on your butt or do a half flip if you accelerate to quickly.

• 1 month later...

Ok I know that this is some what old to post one but I have an idea, I don't know if it would work. What I was thinking could you power an electric motor/engine, with a negative ion generator. I don't know much about electricity, but what I do know is basic but I just thought that this might work for a was to power something. This is just my input but I don't know if it would work.

How are things going with this? any ideas working? Being tested? Being drawn? Thought of? Well, I've thought of one.

Backpacks, or any other body strap that could hold large battery cells. a side pouch, satchel, fanny pack, leg strap, anything. this would definitely improve the skate's abillity to go for long distances, and would be good for prototypes or even a starting project. then, once that became popular, companies may invest into researching making the cells fit within the skate, as well as stronger, smaller motors for them.

If someone wants some speed, a good idea is to not screw around with the normal electric motors. Get some brush less motors, and hock up a 12 volt car battery. The more voltage you can pump through the brush less motors, the better. If you have money, buy brush less motors with 98% efficiency. Then some how make a variable resistor, or if you got a RC car electric speed controller, it could be wire less, and take apart a RC remote, then take out the servo, make the remote hand held(for just one motor, you just need 1 servo, a normal RC car remote has 4 servos). Also, you could have the battery in a backpack. These brush less motors are awesome, if you get a good one, you could get up to 110mph!!!(But it is very expensive)

Regards

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...