Why do some men appear to be so strong?

seriously disabled

Why are some men a lot stronger, energetic and healthier than others?

I mean some men are able to work 10 hours every day, driving long distances and rushing about from city to city without having to eat a lot of food at all and are still strong and energetic while other men, like me, are a lot weaker physically and need to eat and sleep a lot more.

I also realized that some men have a pretty high pain tolerance and are not afraid to get injured or even get killed while other men, like me, are pretty sensitive to pain (I have a very low pain tolerance) and are more easily injured.

What is the biological or physical explanation for this, if there is any at all?

Edited by seriously disabled

Its something to do with the hormones especially Testosterone.

I don't think so. I think it's much more than just hormones.

I think there is some kind of physico-spiritual or some kind of esoteric energy or force that powers or animates certain people, pretty much like Qi or like the The Force in Star Wars.

See Qi

I think there is some kind of physico-spiritual or some kind of esoteric energy or force that powers or animates certain people, pretty much like Qi or like the The Force in Star Wars.

See Qi

May be but your hypothesis is unfalsifiable and its unscientific and lies outside of science, mainly in metaphysics.

See Qi

!

Moderator Note

This is the biology section, so please limit your answers to legitimate science. If you are going to speculate, do it in Speculations.

People are tall, or short; endomorphs, or ectomorphs,; blondes, or brunettes; Rhesus +, or Rhesus -. Some have large, efficient kidneys, others suffer kidney failure; some have high IQs; some have low IQs. People are individuals and vary in so many ways. This variation is a consequence of genetic, environmental and cultural influences. You don't need to envisage weird explanations to account for the differences.

Could we sum all those attributes up in a word such as: vitality (mental or physical vigor; energy), vigor (active physical or mental force or strength; vitality), or vital force (a basic force or principle regarded as the source and cause of life in living organisms)? Also worthy of mention: vitalism (the doctrine that the life in living organisms is caused and sustained by a vital force that is distinct from all physical and chemical forces and that life is, in part, self-determining and self-evolving).

It does seem to come from nowhere. Women and children also seem to have varying degrees of it. It could be anything from genetics, to (im)proper diet, to mental attitude / spiritual life learned from parents, etc.

Edited by ewmon

Some have large, efficient kidneys, others suffer kidney failure;

I think I have more than just kidney failure. I also have a liver disease and glaucoma probably due to severe malnutrition.

I live in Israel which is a small desert country and my country simply cannot produce enough food to feed everyone and we are also running out of clean water too and there is also a very big chance that I will also become blind in the future, due to glaucoma. I am sure this is not the case in the much bigger and wealthier countries like the US, Canada, Brazil and maybe even in Germany. These countries are the world's top food producers.

Hell, I can barely wake up in the morning without having severe nausea and feel very weak and then starting to heavily vomit so let alone work for 11 hours every day to earn a decent salary.

By what I believe to understand: the primary influences would be metabolism and blood flow, which I think are mostly affected by diet and accumulative health. I also believe that eating-behavior (favorite foods, digestion quantity etc.) is greatly influenced by the ones who feed you during childhood.

I hope someone can answer your question better than I can.

Here's a start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_fibre

"Type I red fibers" looks relevant to your question.

Also, on metabolism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabolism

Edited by Ben Bowen

I think the one thing missed in this thread is time. Most large men do not start off that way. Taller men often start off quite lanky. I've worked with big guys my whole life and I've watched many of the men in my family develop over time. I come from a family where many of us, both men and women, are over six feet. That said their girth was something that they gained gradually and their ability to work excessively long hours under great stress was gained over time. My father is 6'1" and weighs ~275lbs. He was a medium build teenager but grew over the years as he carried around his 200lb toolbox and lifted around heavy steel components for machines.

I have known a lot of shorter men who have over the years become quite thick, and their hands are often double the size of mine even though I'm a few inches taller. This came from working hard and was also something they had developed in time. Women are also no different. Given that a women works really hard they often become equally dense in their structure. And although still slightly less so to their male counterparts, in comparison to others who do not stress themselves under physical conditions they are often physically stronger, faster, and more durable. My aunts who live further north are quite strong women who do labour that most city men would balk at.

• 1 month later...

Some people seem to have surprisingly high energies and are capable of working extremely hard and very long hours every day, driving many hours by car on narrow and winding roads, almost as if they were cyborgs or superhuman aliens or something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyborg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superhuman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metahuman

I mean some men are able to work 10 hours every day, driving long distances and rushing about from city to city without having to eat a lot of food at all and are still strong and energetic while other men, like me, are a lot weaker physically and need to eat and sleep a lot more.

I also realized that some men have a pretty high pain tolerance and are not afraid to get injured or even get killed while other men, like me, are pretty sensitive to pain (I have a very low pain tolerance) and are more easily injured.

What is the biological or physical explanation for this, if there is any at all?

Well various types of answers, some people are just healthier than others but health alone will not make you strong,

that is more to do with exercise and training so you would need both.

However even if you are in poor health exercise and training do help.

I went through a period where I did a period of training with fairly light weights, I also played quite a bit of

squash rather competitively and boy did it make me a lot stronger and energetic, I could literally leap out of a chair

in an instance whereas before it was considerabley slower.

Also even recently I did some digging of tree stumps out of the garden with a large heavy axe called a mattock.

I was certainly lot stronger after the I was literally pull up tree stumps!!

One of the reason you need to sleep a lot is because that is what do perhaps? Rest makes you weaker not stronger generally.

Most people pain thresholds are probably the same but if you are big and stronger it takes more to hurt you.

But obviously some health conditions affect overall health

To grow muscles you have to use them.

How you feel pain can also be psychological if you are feeling good and get hurt it will feel

less than if you were feeling down.

AND things like adrenalin affect it, it's like the body knows when it is not a good time to feel pain,

people can get stabbed and not know it!! But when you see the wound you feel pain (happened to me)

I cut my hand on a roof nail and did not know untill i saw the blood I just thought I had hit something.

• 1 month later...

See Qi

Electromagnetic Biofields exists... but I doubt this is what you had in mind.

I heard it was from eating spinach.

or having really long hair.

• 2 weeks later...

In some way, its just natures way, of protecting animal species', from going extinct.

Animals of a species, will all have different behaviors and sizes, this even happens with plants. This is so some members of that species, just by their behavior ex. ex., will go into different places in their environment. That way the species has a better chance of surviving, because the species will be spread out, and able to live in many different environments.

For example, lets just ((imagine)),

There was a disease, that only effected people who worked, more than 12 hours a day, (you would be safe.)

Or if their was a disease, that would not kill you, if you slept over 9 hours a day, (you would be safe.)

Because of the fact your behavior is different than other people, this puts you in a different environment than them. This provides protection for a species.

In a way, I am like you, and you should not feel bad about yourself.

I would much rather be in your company, than these never stop working people. Being around people like yourself, a person can relax and think.

Take really good care of yourself,

Chad.

Edited by Chad

I posted here, without reading all of the posts in this thread. I am sorry for my rude, and un-thought response. So I just (kinda) edited my first post. I am Sorry.

Another forum member mentioned Stephan hawking, as a person like you, who also goes through life, with difficult times. And I hope you can be somewhat like him. And I really hope, you see a doctor on a regular basis Sir.

I actually lived with my grandmother for many years, and she was also disabled like yourself. And I know that it can be hard at times. But no matter what she said, she always hung in there. I know there's nothing I can say, but I hope you always hang in there as well.

Wishing you well,

Chad.

Edited by Chad

It's just a combination of genetics, diet, health and mental attitude.

Edited by Jaden

What makes you, you comes down to a few basic components.

Your genes and life experiences.

Your genes make up the mapping of your genetic code which is the foundation of who you are, your life experiences are the house built on that foundation.

Your genes can tell alot about you and your emotions while after many life experiences you have been influenced So much that you are affected by your experiences more than your genes

But don't get me wrong, genes have a lot to do with it.

But don't get me wrong, genes have a lot to do with it.

Nah I don't buy it. I think we are more than just cells, DNA and atoms.

I think that the spiritual component to the human existence cannot be ignored. And I also believe that atomic mechanism cannot explain everything there is to know about human existence. This is what lead some biologists to adopt alternative philosophies to philosophical and atomic mechanism such as vitalism and organicism.

These scientists say that reality can best be explained as an organic whole (like a superorganism) and that philosophical mechanism alone simply doesn't cut it.

I found these Wikipedia articles quite helpful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_(esotericism)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89lan_vital

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superorganism

I respect your opinion, it has a good argument.

Although to answer the original posters question i believe genetics has everything to do with how physically strong and resilient someone is.

To your argument i would like to bring a few things to the table.

Evolution being the largest thing and the definition of life.

What is evolution really? The changes of a species for an increment of time? Or could their be something much larger to the picture than the dictionary implies.

Personally I think I'm a big highly evolved ball of matter.

What defines life, consciousness?

Are trees conscious, probably not. Is the sea squirt still alive after it eats its own brain?

Are we really that much more complicated than a rock?

• 9 months later...

I respect your opinion, it has a good argument.

Although to answer the original posters question i believe genetics has everything to do with how physically strong and resilient someone is.

To your argument i would like to bring a few things to the table.

Evolution being the largest thing and the definition of life.

What is evolution really? The changes of a species for an increment of time? Or could their be something much larger to the picture than the dictionary implies.

Personally I think I'm a big highly evolved ball of matter.

What defines life, consciousness?

Are trees conscious, probably not. Is the sea squirt still alive after it eats its own brain?

Are we really that much more complicated than a rock?

No one knows what life really is.

Also as to us being more complicated than a rock, I think that actually we could be exactly like a rock. Just like a rock we are also made of atoms and molecules (that's because genes are just molecules) and just like a rock we are also governed by the laws of physics such as electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, general relativity, particle physics and so on.

So maybe 'fundamental' physics like the physics of black holes, quantum mechanics, general relativity, quantum gravity, astroparticle physics and the study of dark matter and dark energy could shed more light on what life really is and how life is connected to the other objects in the universe.

As Joe Rogan puts it, life really is the most uber-bizarre and mysterious thing ever. I mean we don't even understand the universe and how it works and how life is related to the universe.

I think you should really see this video "

" Edited by seriously disabled

Nah I don't buy it. I think we are more than just cells, DNA and atoms.

Can you please provide your justification as to why it is not possible for genes to contribute to the cause of an individual's health, physique, endurance etc.?

Can you please provide your justification as to why it is not possible for genes to contribute to the cause of an individual's health, physique, endurance etc.?

That's because genetics is not all we are. Genetics probably make less than 50% of who we are.

Also the nature of consciousness cannot be explained by physiology alone. What I mean is that the way the human body functions cannot on its' own explain consciousness and personality and sentience.

This is where physics comes into the picture. And by physics I mean electrodynamics, quantum mechanics, quantum electrodynamics, quantum field theory, particle physics, special and general relativity, astrophysics, physical cosmology and quantum gravity.

The workings of the universe is still a big mystery but I don't think that consciousness is the product of the physical body (or of physiology) alone.