Corrupted explorer

Hitman47

Okay i've been having this problem for about 6 months. Whenever I try to open a folder or open control panel or something, the computer refreshes and it doesn't open it.

I tried re-installing Windows XP but I was dumb enough to install it partitioned inside my computer :rolleyes:

Now today I tried getting my comcast cable internet connection working, but i couldn't install the software or anything, and the technician tried to open control panel but i told him it doesn't work, and he said oh well it's not my problem now :rolleyes:

Is there any way to getting explorer running back to normal? :(

You can copy the files you want to keep onto CDs/zip disks/DVDs then un-install Windows and install it properly. If you can't un-install it for some reason, download/buy linux and when you install it you should be prompted whether to delete windows or run linux inside of windows (depending which version of linux you get) once that's done you can install windows, or keep linux if you like it.

Okay i've been having this problem for about 6 months. Whenever I try to open a folder or open control panel or something' date=' the computer refreshes and it doesn't open it.

I tried re-installing Windows XP but I was dumb enough to install it partitioned inside my computer :rolleyes:

Now today I tried getting my comcast cable internet connection working, but i couldn't install the software or anything, and the technician tried to open control panel but i told him it doesn't work, and he said oh well it's not my problem now :rolleyes:

Is there any way to getting explorer running back to normal? :([/quote']

Crappy Windows! You should switch to Linux! Lots of people have been using it and love it! I use it and I won't ever switch back to Microsoft products. Do you have system restore enabled? If so go to Start > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore and try restoring your computer back to a previous date.

If that dosen't work upload or copy all of your files to a safe place and then format your drive and re-install Windows!

You can copy the files you want to keep onto CDs/zip disks/DVDs then un-install Windows and install it properly. If you can't un-install it for some reason, download/buy linux and when you install it you should be prompted whether to delete windows or run linux inside of windows (depending which version of linux you get) once that's done you can install windows, or keep linux if you like it.

What are the advantages of using Linux? Can it play your ordinary PC game?

Crappy Windows! You should switch to Linux! Lots of people have been using it and love it! I use it and I won't ever switch back to Microsoft products. Do you have system restore enabled? If so go to Start > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore and try restoring your computer back to a previous date.

If that dosen't work upload or copy all of your files to a safe place and then format your drive and re-install Windows!

Yea I'm gonna try restoring it way way way back. lets see if it works.

Although efforts are being made to make Linux accessable to the layman (in computer terms) there really are no advantages associated with having linux unless you have advanced knowledge of computers/are interested in programming, as that's why linux was made. For those with knowledge of computers and programming, linux can be completely customized in any way you want as it is open source.

If gaming is your priority, I suggest getting a hold of Windows 98 Second Edition, it's frequently voted the best OS for gaming.

An average user wants windows... only people who are enthusiasts or want very advance operating system (OS) options use linux.

linux occupies less than 1% of all OSs in the world....

re-install windows correctly, this should over write all existing windows files allowing corrupt files to be replaced with the original real file.

i think what you should be asking is why this happened in the first place. although obviously you should have done that 6 months ago... next time you have a problem write down everything you have done for the past day (everything) site names, downloaded files, messengers, anything which opens your computer.

as always, remember to have a decent firewall (SOFTWARE, router/server hardware firewalls are not good enough) and a reguarly updated anti-virus (AV).

yea, i have another windows XP installed. SO whenever i turn on the computer it gives me the option of using the old windows xp with the corrupted explorer, or the new one... i go to the new one and i had to activate windows. I called a representative to activate, but the number i gave is not right. And I SAID THE NUMBER ACCURATELY... So i don't if i should re-install :(

two windows XP.... your dual booting with the same OS... now thats dumb!!!! (no offense, your case is a rare case!)

if you can then format your WHOLE hard drive disk (HDD) just to get rid of everything + it speeds up your computer a lot.

anyway, wtvr you do, get rid of one of the OSs and then re-instal the one you have left (even if it is the fixed one) that is because you obviously have a actiavtion code clashing because you are trying to instal two OSs with the same code. hence i said get rid of both of them and start again... except i said it as get rid of one and re-instal the other (same thing).

you really dont want illegal OSs because they are soooo easy to trace + MS updates wont work with the most common ones (well nearly all of em) anymore.

I would delete the second version of XP that is on there and re-install again over the top of the first, broken version. Just rename the directory into which you install it back to the original one and it will replace the corrupt files. If you want to keep you personalisation move the profile folder in C:\documents and settings while you do this and then replace it when you are done installing. you'll need to set up another account to be able to replace it though.

two windows XP.... your dual booting with the same OS... now thats dumb!!!! (no offense' date=' your case is a rare case!)

if you can then format your WHOLE hard drive disk (HDD) just to get rid of everything + it speeds up your computer a lot.

anyway, wtvr you do, get rid of one of the OSs and then re-instal the one you have left (even if it is the fixed one) that is because you obviously have a actiavtion code clashing because you are trying to instal two OSs with the same code. hence i said get rid of both of them and start again... except i said it as get rid of one and re-instal the other (same thing).

you really dont want illegal OSs because they are soooo easy to trace + MS updates wont work with the most common ones (well nearly all of em) anymore.[/quote']

:-(

Oh my PC is an alienware.. so im gonna go see what they can do in steps to reformat the whole hard drive.

How would i uninstall the OS's? Specifically the new one, since it won't let me start windows without activating? :P

Hey I was wondering i should re-install Internet Explorer instead?

THis is Alienware's procedure for it:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Sometimes, due to faulty codes on web pages, files for Internet Explorer can become corrupted causing the browser to perform undesirably. If this is your case, follow the steps below to remove/re-install Internet Explorer:

1. Click on the 'Start' button and select 'Control Panel' followed by 'Add or Remove Programs.'

2. Once in the 'Add or Remove programs' window, click on the 'Add/remove Windows components' located on the left border, as shown in on Image 1.

(Image 1)

3. A window called 'Windows Components Wizard' will appear, and in it a window that lists the Windows components installed.

4. To remove Internet Explorer, simply clear the check box next to it, as shown on Image 2.

(Image 2)

5. Click the 'Next' button to begin the removal process.

6. To reinstall Internet Explorer, follow the previous steps, check Internet Explorer, and click the 'Next' button. At this point the installation process will begin. Once the installation is complete, please restart your system.

7. Once your system has restarted, please insert the Alienware Product Recovery CD.

8. Click on the 'Start' button, select 'Run', type rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\Inf\ie.inf in the command line and click 'OK.'

NOTE: You may be prompted to specify the location of the IEXPLORE.EXE file. If this occurs, type "X:\I386" (where the X should be substituted for the drive letter of the unit that contains the Alienware Product Recovery CD), and then click 'OK' to continue.

9. Once the installation is done copying files, please restart your system.

:-(

Oh my PC is an alienware.. so im gonna go see what they can do in steps to reformat the whole hard drive.

How would i uninstall the OS's? Specifically the new one' date=' since it won't let me start windows without activating? :P[/quote']

It's easy!! First, insert the windows xp disk into your PC, then choose the bootup options and choose boot from cd. Then the blue screen will come up, choose the partion you installed your XP's on, the press the "D" button and follow the instructions to delete the partion, and after that it's easy. Just follow the onscreen instructions and install a new OS.

Hope that helps.

When was the last time you met any non-commercial user who'd been sued by Microsoft for using a pirated version of Windows?

re-read it. i didnt say they did trace people i said it was easy to if they wished. (assuming the person has internet that is).

as it is SP2 is not availble for the 20 most common illegal XP codes... whilst that might not sound like many it is (according to most NON-ms sites) nearly every single code there is, which is publically out on the net.

ok, i wouldnt recommend it unless you are an advance user and not a gamer.

seriously, its not an at all good OS for gamers and its only the advance programable reasons (mainly) and that people use it.

as its open source (or whatever you personally call it) you can edit it yourself and get mods, this seems to be quite a popular reason for it.

as i've (said previously) it is (according to recent in depth reports) less than 1% of the world OSs, so obviously not that many programs and games and even (apparently) some harware is not compatable with it.

not having many uses or needs for the OS linux ive never really looked beyond their website about it! but that is what ive picked up from it.

its also safer as most viruses are meant for a windows OS, not saying your totaly safe, but safer.

also you may need to format your whole HDD. i know that you can re-instal a windows OS but i dont know if you can switch from windows to linux without doing the full format.

ok, i wouldnt recommend it unless you are an advance user and not a gamer.

seriously, its not an at all good OS for gamers and its only the advance programable reasons (mainly) and that people use it.

as its open source (or whatever you personally call it) you can edit it yourself and get mods, this seems to be quite a popular reason for it.

as i've (said previously) it is (according to recent in depth reports) less than 1% of the world OSs, so obviously not that many programs and games and even (apparently) some harware is not compatable with it.

not having many uses or needs for the OS linux ive never really looked beyond their website about it! but that is what ive picked up from it.

its also safer as most viruses are meant for a windows OS, not saying your totaly safe, but safer.

also you may need to format your whole HDD. i know that you can re-instal a windows OS but i dont know if you can switch from windows to linux without doing the full format.

ok' date=' i wouldnt recommend it unless you are an advance user and not a gamer.

also you may need to format your whole HDD. i know that you can re-instal a windows OS but i dont know if you can switch from windows to linux without doing the full format.[/quote']

Well, according to this distro it wipes out my windows automatically and sets it up for linux when i boot from CD.

I don't play games anymore, i just browse the internet and word document stuff :P

according to the specifications required for an easy install i do have them, i just need to set up my hp officejet series printer in cups.