Faster than light

MajinVegeta

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you drop something, it's velocity function is 9.8t... this is clearly not equal to c

Right, thats on the xyz coords. The motion through time makes up for the rest of the speed.

must.stop.going.in.circles

Yet another source to add to my library of sources confirming magnitude of 4-vector motion is always C.

Special Relativity

Page 35-36.

Here's a good excerpt: "Thus |u| = c in all frames. This trivial "proof" is a good model for problem-sovling in special relativity: identify something which is frame-independant, transform into a frame in which it is easy to calculate, and calculate it. The answer will be good for all frames.

The reader may find this a little strange. Some particles move quickly, some slowly, but for all particles, the magnitude of the 4-velocity is c. But this is not strange, because we need the magnitude to be a scalar, the same in all frames. If I change frames, some of the particles that were moving quickly before now move slowly, and some of them are stopped altogether. Speeds (magnitudes of 3-velocities) are relative; the magnitude of the 4-velocity has to be invariant".

Originally posted by fafalone

u = xi+yj+zk+tl and |u|=c but v(t) = :pdif:u/:pdif:xi + :pdif:u/:pdif:yj + :pdif:u/:pdif:zk and |v| <> c, which is what i've been saying.

brb, need to laugh.

last night you were arguing 'Since space-time cannot be separated, your q and V vectors are meaningless. Just because a book says something doesn't make it true... don't forget that not all math people show is correct. Think back to the people who came here proposed GUTs."

you were saying that my vectors were meaningless, etc etc (which proved the exact same thing; magnitude of v^2=c^2). So I showed ANOTHER mathmatical model for it. Now you claim thats what you've been saying all along. I highly doubt you believed that |u|=c, otherwise you would have said it earlier on because thats exactly what I've been saying. Yet you claim "Wow, you really have no idea whatsoever what you're doing."

nice job trying to reduce this argument to a simple wordgame. admit defeat and move on.

Originally posted by KHinfcube22

Why does everyone act as if C is so fast? I man, light isn't that quik on a galactic scale. Why does everyone act as if it is the "Ultimate Speed"?

Because, up to now, traveling faster than light is paradoxical. See the first post on this thread.

Also, you should consider the fact that everything is relative.

Originally posted by KHinfcube22

But wouldn't we also think sound was the "Ultimate" speed if we never broke the barrier?

there is nothing that mathematically suggests that you can't travel at, or faster than the speed of sound though. It is just any old speed, which depends on the properties of the medium.

the speed of light in a vacuum isn't.

Originally posted by Radical Edward

there is nothing that mathematically suggests that you can't travel at, or faster than the speed of sound though. It is just any old speed, which depends on the properties of the medium.

the speed of light in a vacuum isn't.

'You can't compare these two things, because you have to specify a medium for this one, and obviously this one where I specify a medium is different because it doesn't need a medium despite me having to specify one.'

Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri

'You can't compare these two things, because you have to specify a medium for this one, and obviously this one where I specify a medium is different because it doesn't need a medium despite me having to specify one.'

<MrL_JaKiri> it's just a matter of stating that empirically newtonian physics holds past the speed of sound

:P

thanky for pointing out my fuzzy/incorrect line of argument

No, there is nothing at all that actually can travel faster than light. Black holes are an example: their escape velocity is c+(from the event horizon, that is) and there aren't particles that come straight out of the EH.

could particles travel faster than light at a quantum level? that is, at Planck's Length?

Why would a black hole have an escape velocity?

If gravity is geometrical and the singularity is in fact a singularity, the warping of the space-time continium must be infinite. That would mean nothing gets out at any speed short of infinity, with slight exception resulting from the uncertainty principle.

Originally posted by MajinVegeta

could particles travel faster than light at a quantum level? that is, at Planck's Length?

Originally posted by Raider

That would mean nothing gets out at any speed short of infinity, with slight exception resulting from the uncertainty principle.

General relativity and Quantum Mechanics do not mix.

Originally posted by Raider

Why would a black hole have an escape velocity?

If gravity is geometrical and the singularity is in fact a singularity, the warping of the space-time continium must be infinite. That would mean nothing gets out at any speed short of infinity, with slight exception resulting from the uncertainty principle.

A singularity is an infinitely small point, the escape velocity approaches infinity as you approach the singularity.