Recovary of NaOH from NaHCO3

ashraf

Dear Fellows,

If CO2 reacts with soultion of NaOH then we get NaHCO3 solution,

Is it possible to exhaust CO2 from NaHCO3 solution by Shaking it or by creating Vacuum on it so it can exhaust absorbed CO2 and we can through it in atmosphere,

i am thinking on this logic that if NaOH can absorb CO2 to become NaHCO3 then NaHCO3 can also becomes again NaOH by eliminating absorbed CO2.

please guide if it is possible. Please forgive it doesn,t make a sense.

As mentioned before it is not practical to do so but if the question was a matter of "in theory" could it happen and you were to place the solution under a strong vacuum I would not argue against some loss of CO2 based on Le Chatelier's principle- I wouldn't hazard a guess as to the significance of such disolution though.

Dear john,

what will the indication of Conversion of NaHCO3 to Na2CO3 while boiling, i mean PH? Any physical change? or what will be the reaction of Na2CO3, As NaOH reacts with CO2 as follow,

NaOH + CO2---------NaHCO3.

Could u please guide me by writting reaction in equation form, i am confused becoz of the molecular formula of Na2CO3, which is heavy in C and O atoms, how could it acomodate CO2.

Sorry for inconvenience.

Getting from NaHCO3 to NaOH isn't practical.

But heating NaHCO3 solution to boiling will convert it to Na2CO3 (And CO2)

The Na2CO3 solution will absorb CO2 when it's cold and can be recycled.

Thank you my dear for this great idea, i will report you after experience.

As mentioned before it is not practical to do so but if the question was a matter of "in theory" could it happen and you were to place the solution under a strong vacuum I would not argue against some loss of CO2 based on Le Chatelier's principle- I wouldn't hazard a guess as to the significance of such disolution though.