Help forming this equation

grantzam

Hey all. I'm doing the following for an assignment in my Calc class, and I just need some help finishing up the problem. I'm having trouble with #1 of the first project here:

http://www.math.washington.edu/~m124/Stewart5Eprobs/appliedproject.pdf

I have looked at it, analyzed it, figured out a lot of stuff about the problem, but I just can't put it all together to get a final polynomial. I have things listed out such as the derivative of P(x) = 0 at x = L and x = 0 and other various conditions I believe to be true. I just can't put it all together.

If any of you can help with this last step in acquiring the answer to this problem, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You are given a general cubic polynomial and have can find it's derivative.

You can find the values of c and d by sustituing x=0 into both P and P'.

by looking at the "shape" of the curve at x=L you can see what P'(L) will be.

You also know what P(L) equals. Use these facts to find 2 simultaneous equations and solve them to find a and b in terms of L and h.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for replying.

You can find the values of c and d by sustituing x=0 into both P and P'.

So...

P(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d and P'(x) = 3ax^2 + 2bx + c

so...

P(0) = d and P'(0) = c

What should this tell me though? Are the values 0? I was thinking that d was equal to the height.

by looking at the "shape" of the curve at x=L you can see what P'(L) will be.

You also know what P(L) equals.

I'm assuming that by looking at x=L that P'(L) is 0. P(L) is h?

Use these facts to find 2 simultaneous equations and solve them to find a and b in terms of L and h.

I guess this is the part that I'm not quite understanding. Or I might not be understanding how to use some of the previous info I know.

Thanks for replying.

So...

P(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d and P'(x) = 3ax^2 + 2bx + c

so...

P(0) = d and P'(0) = c

What should this tell me though? Are the values 0? I was thinking that d was equal to the height.

I think you have the picture back-to-front. From the graph/diagram given with the question the areplane is flying towards the origin' date=' not away from it. So P(0) will give you the height above the ground when the plane has landed.

(This idea seams rather counter-intuitive to me, like I think you have done, it would be better to assume the plane styarts at x=0 and heads towards x=L , but it so happens to be going the other way round :-( )

I'm assuming that by looking at x=L that P'(L) is 0. P(L) is h?

I guess this is the part that I'm not quite understanding. Or I might not be understanding how to use some of the previous info I know.

Try this agian now you've re done the first part again...hopefully the answer should fall out of the sky to you...lets hope unlike the plane...

The gerenal cubic has 4 arbitary constants.

To find the particular soultion you thus require 4 initial (boundary) conditions.

The first two are obvious.

1)at distance x = l, the plane must be at height p(l)=h

2)at x=0 , the plane must be height 0

The second two are the bit subtle

The flight of the plane will have this function

f(x)= 0 for x<=0

f(x)=P(x) for 0<=x<=l

f(x)=h for x=>l

and since , the motion of the place has to be smooth (i.e f(x) must be differentiable everywhere ) it follows that f'(0)=P'(0)=0=f'(l)=P'(l)

[The above is a bit long winded, and the results should be clear just by intuition]

Once, you put in those conditions, you get two equations for two unknowns {a,b}

solve it, and you get [math]a=\frac{-2h}{l^3}[/math] and [math]b=\frac{3h}{l^2}[/math]

thus the particural solution for P(x) is

[math]P(x)=\frac{-2h}{l^3}x^3+\frac{3h}{l^2}x^2[/math]

I dont if the above solution is rite. can anyone check.... as i am not able to complete the second part of the question using P(x) from above

[edit: oops seems fine now.. sorted ]

[edit no.2] oops no fine at all.. redoing it again[/edit]

[edit no.3] everything is good now [/edit]

Ok . this is how it goes.

using P(0)=0 and P'(0)=0 you get c=d=0

and then

1)[math]P(l)=al^3+bl^2=h[/math] and

2)[math]P'(l)=3al^2+2bl=0[/math]

from 2)

[math](3)a=-\frac{2b}{3l}[/math] substituting a into 1) we get

[math]h=-\frac{2b}{3l}l^3+bl^2[/math]

[math]=\frac{-2bl^2+3bl^2}{3}[/math]

[math]=\frac{bl^2}{3}[/math]

Therefore,

[math]b=\frac{3h}{l^2}[/math]

put that back into (3) we have

[math]a=-\frac{2b}{3l}[/math]

[math]=\frac{\frac{-6h}{l^2}}{3l}[/math]

[math]=-\frac{2h}{l^3}[/math]

Thanks to both of you.

If anyone wants to take a stab at how to complete #2, you're more than welcome to :D You do not have to complete it, just a short explanation of how you would come to that conclusion would be fine for the type of assignment I have for this.

I already got #3.

Thanks to both of you.

If anyone wants to take a stab at how to complete #2, you're more than welcome to :D You do not have to complete it, just a short explanation of how you would come to that conclusion would be fine for the type of assignment I have for this.

I already got #3.