THORIUM NITRATE plus zinc reaction

rogerxd45

so in an attemot to get thorium metal out of a thorium nitrate solution.

first i dipped a q tip in the thorium nitrate solution and rubbed that on zinc which turned black so i thought it was thorium metal that was forming.

the reaction happened pretty fast so i know its not just the water reacting with the zinc. but now i have a cloudy substance and i have no clue what it is.

it smells like bleach/chlorine/nitrogen oxides

it did consume part of the zinc. any ideas as to what i have created?

yea i know i should have asked this question first

so in an attemot to get thorium metal out of a thorium nitrate solution.

first i dipped a q tip in the thorium nitrate solution and rubbed that on zinc which turned black so i thought it was thorium metal that was forming.

the reaction happened pretty fast so i know its not just the water reacting with the zinc. but now i have a cloudy substance and i have no clue what it is.

it smells like bleach/chlorine/nitrogen oxides

it did consume part of the zinc. any ideas as to what i have created?

yea i know i should have asked this question first

no ideas?

Probably reduction of nitrate to nitrite by zinc followed by decomposition of the nitrite to NOx

Why did you think this would work, or more precisely, why didn't you just look up the outcome?

well because someone on here told me it would cant remember who but obviously he was wrong

so any ideas as to what the end product i have is?

Edited by rogerxd45

see i asked here

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/60773-thorium-nitrate-displacement-reaction/page__p__633301__fromsearch__1#entry633301

i figured that zinc is reactive and should work if Al and Mg would, and if it wasnt more reactive then the Hg then nothing would happen, just like the silver nitrate- copper metal reaction produces silver and created copper nitrate

And what they said was " Keep in mind, though, that pure thorium is attacked slowly by water." which is why it's difficult or impossible to get thorium metal this way: it reacts with the water.

It's not just a matter of " zinc is reactive" it's a matter of how reactive compared to what.

Something like this might help you

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/redoxeqia/introduction.html#top

• 2 years later...

Why there you are Roger! Hmmm..... I see you decided to rip me off for the last shipment of element samples you owed me.

You certainly played the "dumb country boy" thing to full advantage. I hope nobody on this forum has the misfortune of trusting you.

Dan

• 1 month later...

Hi ec1,

Oh, Roger and I traded some samples. But he never shipped the last lot he owed me. He says he wants to make good on his debt, but it's a month since you asked that question and nothing yet. I also see that he has been absent since mid April. This is not looking very reassuring.

So, Roger...are you out there?