Photosynthesis vs. solar cells

Chap

Which is more efficient at utilizing light energy, solar cells or the photosynthesis reaction? I was just wondering whether we may one day be able to utilize photosynthesis directly, for the production of electrical energy (I know that photosynthesis doesn't produce electrical energy, but it could be converted to electrical energy through suitable apparatus).

Everyone's thoughts are welcome! :)

Which is more efficient at utilizing light energy, solar cells or the photosynthesis reaction? I was just wondering whether we may one day be able to utilize photosynthesis directly, for the production of electrical energy (I know that photosynthesis doesn't produce electrical energy, but it could be converted to electrical energy through suitable apparatus).

Everyone's thoughts are welcome! :)

Photosynthesis creates oxygen not electricity lol. They are good for air filtering

Photosynthesis really creates electrical energy but of extremely low quantity. It's in the process of electron-transfer. :) I guess what you are saying as a suitable apparatus is quite far from realization that it's only you who have thought of using plat as an electricity source but who know. Maybe in two or three scores, you'll be able to make that suitable apparatus. Nevertheless, your idea is good. Thumbs up. Only few can think the way you thought. I admit, even I can't. :)

Photosynthesis really creates electrical energy but of extremely low quantity. It's in the process of electron-transfer. :) I guess what you are saying as a suitable apparatus is quite far from realization that it's only you who have thought of using plat as an electricity source but who know. Maybe in two or three scores, you'll be able to make that suitable apparatus. Nevertheless, your idea is good. Thumbs up. Only few can think the way you thought. I admit, even I can't. :)

Can you elaborate that?

kindly read about photosynthesis specifically electron transfer. When there is an electron flow, electricity is produced. Check about Coulumb's Law. You can make a very sophisticated 'machine' to make use of that very low electricity. :)

If we talk about efficiency in capturing light energy, solar cells are more efficient. See Blankenship et al. Science 13 May 2011: Vol. 332 no. 6031 pp. 805-809 DOI: 10.1126/science.1200165

Not necessarily if you take into consideration the amount of energy embodied in the silcon, aluminium, copper and glass etc that is required to manufacture the panels.

Along with the energy required to install and maintain them and the fact that they have a 25 year life span after which they will have to be replaced.

Mother nature always finds the most energy efficient means of doing things at all levels and hmans have a long way to go before they can genuinely out do her.

Leaves may not generate any where near as much energy as an equivalent area of solar cells, but leaves can be produced and replaced at very low energy expenditure.

Without fossil fuel energy we would have little hope of manufacturing and implementing solar panels on any significant scale.

Photosynthesis creates oxygen not electricity lol. They are good for air filtering

Photosynthesis creates the *byproduct* of oxygen, but the main product is energy.

The idea of photosynthetic power cells is not all that "out there". In fact, it's being discussed as a means to improve power cells in general, seeing as plants do a good job transforming energy from the sun.

Examples:

If we talk about efficiency in capturing light energy, solar cells are more efficient. See Blankenship et al. Science 13 May 2011: Vol. 332 no. 6031 pp. 805-809 DOI: 10.1126/science.1200165

Yes, you are right. The article provides experimental data showing that in most cases; the solar cells are much more efficient than photosynthesis. The reason for this (according to the research article) seems to be that plants never evolved to have the highest efficiency rate in capturing the sun's energy. Instead, the selection pressures experienced by plants have been mostly on reproduction and growth.

However, it may be possible to genetically modify the "leaves" so that they can capture much more light energy. So it is a future possibility. I guess. :)

Yes see my thread about why plants are green.

They would be more efficient if they absorbed the whole of the spectrum, as it is they reflect green.

Solar panels are black to absorb the whole spectrum or at least they would be if they were maximumly efficient.

No point in throwing any light away - unless you are a plant!!! :lol: