Israel's assets and liabilities to the United States

ewmon

All this in the news lately about the Middle East has me wondering what Israel is to the United States. A liability or an asset, or some of both?

I ask that you consider both categories before answering.

Edited by ewmon

They are an ally and a critical trading partner within a highly volatile region that supplies us with a much needed source of energy that is central to our entire economy. The whole asset or liability thing is a false dichotomy. It most certainly is both, and will vary depending upon the topic, the context, and the day.

All this in the news lately about the Middle East has me wondering what Israel is to the United States. A liability or an asset, or some of both?

Well, US is one of the asset of the conspiracy group. So is Israel.

They are an ally and a critical trading partner within a highly volatile region that supplies us with a much needed source of energy that is central to our entire economy. The whole asset or liability thing is a false dichotomy. It most certainly is both, and will vary depending upon the topic, the context, and the day.

An ally in what respects?

How critical a trading partner (for example, how much of our trading, or in what critical products)?

What is this much needed source of energy? Why is it central to our economy?

I think nothing is ever wholly a liability or an asset.

Well, US is one of the asset of the conspiracy group. So is Israel.

What is the conspiracy to which America and Israel are a part of?

Edited by ewmon

An ally in what respects?

How critical a trading partner (for example, how much of our trading, or in what critical products)?

Are these serious questions? We're talking about Israel and its relationship with the US.

What is this much needed source of energy? Why is it central to our economy?

I'm referring to oil, and it's central to our economy because we have yet to replace with another source sufficient to support base load and peak demands of industry.

Are these serious questions? We're talking about Israel and its relationship with the US.

I'm referring to oil, and it's central to our economy because we have yet to replace with another source sufficient to support base load and peak demands of industry.

Americans import oil from Israel?? In what capacity, I see absolutely no reference to Israel. Is this a transport issue? Dangerous Delusions . . . right? Vive la Canada! :D

Americans import oil from Israel?? In what capacity, I see absolutely no reference to Israel.

Please go back and re-read what I wrote. I said they were a critical trading partner. I said they were an ally. I said they exist in a highly volatile region. I said that region supplies us with a source of energy critical to our economy. I said that source of energy was oil when I was asked to clarify.

I never said, nor implied, that we get oil from Israel.

Now... as I scan the other contributions to this thread... I see that the rest of the posts put forth here are at a level so low that I'll probably no longer bother responding at this point.

Please go back and re-read what I wrote. I said they were a critical trading partner. I said they were an ally. I said they exist in a highly volatile region. I said that region supplies us with a source of energy critical to our economy. I said that source of energy was oil when I was asked to clarify.

I never said, nor implied, that we get oil from Israel.

Now... as I scan the other contributions to this thread... I see that the rest of the posts put forth here are at a level so low that I'll probably no longer bother responding at this point.

I'm sure you can appreciate how I might have misinterpreted your statement, regardless thank you for clarifying that.

I should probably be clear on why I assumed you meant Israel was in fact trading oil

original sentence:

They are an ally and a critical trading partner within a highly volatile region that supplies us with a much needed source of energy that is central to our entire economy.

Broken down:

They are an ally.

They are a critical trading partner within a highly volatile region that supplies us with a much needed source of energy that is central to our entire economy.

They are a critical trading partner within a highly volatile region.

They are a critical trading partner that supplies us with a much needed source of energy that is central to our entire economy.

:) Godspeed my friend!

I think that evaluating a nations worth in determining their eligibility to be an ally is admonish-able. I don't think the value of Israel will ever come into question should there be a need to take sides or to step aside and allow the course of nature to progress on its own. Has Israel even asked for or discussed the possibility of requiring help from America?

**value as an ally

Edited by Xittenn

Israel is a huge liability. without US(and west) support it can hardly defend itself let alone help the US for anything. That is WHY one US president after another has iterated on the guarantee for Israel security. The Jews have enormous political and economical power in the west. That is what promted Hitler to counter act that. The Jews played central roles in all WWI,WWII wars.

There are no real problems between arabs and the west except for Israels support. the arabs have to sell their oil. It is the chaos that can and have disrupted the oil flow. And that choas is the instability that was created by the creation of state of Israel.The volatility is coming from that. The arabs have not had any wars between them for hundreds of years. nothing minutly like european/american inter wars.

Thank you for aceraining my premise and conclusion

My link

Maybe you could draw the parallels for me? I wasn't quite clear on where you were placing Iran's importance within these arguments.

I personally feel that Iran should not be attacked. I actually believe what they say, I feel they are much more intelligent than to militarize a nuclear arsenal. The logic follows from the fact that escalating will only see everyone dead including Iran. How is nuking the neighbour not going to negatively impact Iran, acts of war in this respect are somewhat nonsensical. I think Israel should back down, and if they don't I think the world should defend Iran not Israel. There are sufficient technologies that can be employed to deescalate the threat posed to Israel in the event of a nuclear attack and I suggest that they begin their research and employ them. I would also like to see an investment in Iran's efforts in seeking other forms of nuclear power sources of energy such as Thorium. It would be a bold move on their part.

Sorry if I went off topic! I see Israel as a liability based on its position and how it is addressing the issues. They are escalating and this is going to cost everyone. In my opinion if they wish to stay in the good with the rest of the world they need to redress their issues.

Maybe you could draw the parallels for me? I wasn't quite clear on where you were placing Iran's importance within these arguments.

I personally feel that Iran should not be attacked. I actually believe what they say, I feel they are much more intelligent than to militarize a nuclear arsenal. The logic follows from the fact that escalating will only see everyone dead including Iran. How is nuking the neighbour not going to negatively impact Iran, acts of war in this respect are somewhat nonsensical. I think Israel should back down, and if they don't I think the world should defend Iran not Israel. There are sufficient technologies that can be employed to deescalate the threat posed to Israel in the event of a nuclear attack and I suggest that they begin their research and employ them. I would also like to see an investment in Iran's efforts in seeking other forms of nuclear power sources of energy such as Thorium. It would be a bold move on their part.

I agree with you. I was just suggesting like a journalist (cohen,jewish) will instigate a war and convince the public in the west that such war is in their interest-and its coming no doubt ,he suggests-, while the opposite could be true.

My analysis is that the west knows that Iran could not take such actions. But the game is part of a bigger geopolitical interests that involves all major world powers. With Israel trying to take advantage of the contradictions.

Edited by qsa

i've just read some of the most ignorant things i think i've ever read before. Israel is an asset for the US and i don't see where there could be any controversy about it. As crazy as the Iranìan president has been, I don't think he could be trusted with his own pecker in his hand. Let alone a button to push and play destroyer. Not to mention a majority of American's back the Jewish faith as a foundation to their own. Where the Hell does the rest of the world see this going?

Israel is an asset for the US and i don't see where there could be any controversy about it. ... I don't think [the crazy Iranian president] could be trusted with ... a button to push and play destroyer.

Do you mean an asset like an attack dog in a distant part of the world who does our dirty work (like assassinating Iranian nuclear scientists) and who also allows America to play the "good cop" to Israel's "bad cop", hopefully persuading errant states such as Iran to conform to our views?

Do you mean an asset like an attack dog in a distant part of the world who does our dirty work

To put it bluntly...YES. And to reduce their importance to being a mere attack dog/lap dog (as I know some would like to put it) is a wild understatement. To have a solid ally in one of the most unstable regions in the world is a huge asset. Not to mention you're assessment is inacurate as well as leaning toward conspiratorial. Israel can attack those who they deem a threat to their immediate security. They don't need the "go ahead" from the US or anybody else for that matter. All they need is a suspicion beyond a reasonable doubt and the rest of the world can either put up or shut up. I also don't know where people get that Israel can't defend themselves without the help of the US either. With as many nuc's as they have I think they are more than capable of holding their own when the chips are down.

who also allows America to play the "good cop" to Israel's "bad cop", hopefully persuading errant states such as Iran to conform to our views?

Errant is the key word in your statement. Iran errs and doesn't expect retaliation? Seems kind of ignorant to me, but I guess each is to their own huh?

The fact is that you have the situation confused a little bit. We are not trying to get Iran to conform to our views so much as make damn sure they aren't planning to do nothing stupid like carry out any of their past threats. Like wiping Israel off the map, and cleansing the region of it's people. I think we learned that lesson with the holocaust and don't intend for it to happen again. I just wish we weren't so one sided about things like that. We preach for peace and human rights in one part of the world while totally ignoring other parts such as the Congo. And it's even on the same continent as our current preachings have been directed. I guess it's all in the value the land has to offer huh? Something to think about anyway.

Edited by JustinW

With as many nuc's as [israel has,] I think they are more than capable of holding their own when the chips are down.

make damn sure they aren't planning to do nothing stupid like carry out any of their past threats. Like wiping Israel off the map

I see Israel's nuclear status as a reason why no one would really try to wipe it out, if Israel intends mutually assured destruction. Besides, Israel could simply threaten to target Mecca, which would have a serious dampening effect on all of its neighboring Muslim states. Plus, would Muslims want to destroy Jerusalem, one of their holy cities?

Israel could hold the Muslim's Dome of the Rock shrine in Jerusalem as hostage, but the Jews themselves consider the Temple Mount (called the "Noble Sanctuary" by Muslims, on which the shrine rests) as their holy ground, same as the Muslims, so that's pretty much out of the question.

Israel could hold the Muslim's Dome of the Rock shrine in Jerusalem as hostage, but the Jews themselves consider the Temple Mount (called the "Noble Sanctuary" by Muslims, on which the shrine rests) as their holy ground, same as the Muslims, so that's pretty much out of the question.

True, but I don't think it would have a dampering effect. I think that would kick off a real war. Plus I think to get Israel into a nuclear fight there would have to be a real good reason. They aren't the ones who antagonize and threaten total destruction, so I think they would act with caution when it comes to considering nuclear action.