HDMI to DVI problem

weeeman

I have a HDMI to DVI cable to play ps3 on my monitor which works great.

When i come to using it on my tower to my monitor with hdmi in tower and dvi in monitor it goes weird. The boot loader appears on screen as usual but when i boot into windows or ubuntu the monitor goes black and it looks like it recieves no signal.

I know its random but i need help. Anybody?

If there is another screen attached, the OS might sometimes think that the other screen is the main one and won't provide picture to the HDMI one. Cycling power on your monitor might sometimes work as your OS can then rediscover the device, like it would with USB devices.

Edited by Fuzzwood

Make sure you are using the correct DVI for the job there is DVI-I and DVI-D. Also some get confused when the output or input device can do both but you are using DVI-I cables. Otherwise, I have no idea.

sldldvi.jpg

I don't know exactly but I think you will have to do something like what is suggested in this off-board thread post #7

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic32253.html

If the output from the computer is DVI-I try getting a DVI-I cable. I haven't had this problem myself and was only aware of the difference in connectors because I had previously been considering connecting my PC to an LCD TV to play video games.

Ah no worries mate. I've also contacted my tower manufacturer so hopefully they can also give me help.

I cant think what else it could be coz the cable and monitor work so it must be the tower.