Whats your University/City's Claim to Fame

bloodhound

"Since Finland in is Europe, i am sure It has its share of great scienctists and mathematicians."

Yeah right. No mathematician comes to mind, and the only two persons that received the Nobel prize is F.E. Sillanpää for literature and Artturi I. Virtanen (AIV fodder) for chemistry. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artturi_Ilmari_Virtanen ) He was a professor of biochemistry in Helsinki.

well, don't know how scientific it is, but my town (Asheboro, NC USA) is home to the biggest habitat zoo in I know America, and possibly the world (I'm uncertain about the latter)

They do alot of stuff to try to help with endangered species and such.

But science, from southern USA, hahahahahaha, thats a good one.

I'll be starting as a freshman at Auburn University next fall (it's in Alabama, although a bit far from your version of Birmingham, YT2095, ;) ) I'll be a Zoology/Pre-vet major so most of the headlines about them that I've taken interest in have been in that field...

They recently implanted a new cardiac device at a gorilla living at the Montgomery Zoo: http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/index.pl/news/babec, and they have a Canine Research and Detection Institute that developed a special formula of dog food to enhance the olfactory capabilities of professional scent. detection dogs.

• 1 month later...

I will be attending Stony Brook University next year: First lab to synthezise a virus

Also in my township, Brookhaven National Laboratory: hosts 6 nobel prize winners in Science

1. 1957 - reworked the absolute law of parity conservation.

2. 1976 - discover "J" particle and confirm the existence of the charmed quark

3. 1980 - Verified CP symmetry

4. 1988 - discovery of the muon-neutrino.

5. 2002 - detection of solar neutrinos

6. 2003 - explaination of how a class of proteins helps to generate nerve impulses

Wow, I have big footsteps to follow in!

We have 80 nobel prize winners.

http://www.cam.ac.uk/cambuniv/nobelprize.html

In this university were discovered the structure of both the atom and DNA.

In this university Gravity was discovered and the foundations of modern science laid.

In this university were educated the creators of the computer: both Charles Babbage and Alan Turing.

Charles Darwin was educated here, as were Lord Kelvin, James Maxwell, Herschel, Robert Oppenheimer, Frank Whittle, Francis Bacon, Bertrand Russell, Ludwig Wittgenstein, Alfred Tennyson, John Milton, Oliver Cromwell... the list goes on.

[edit]

That's University, obviously. To do city (Durham) would be a whole other post.

Jamestown, Virginia - 1st permanent English settlement in the New World

Williamsburg, VA - Home of the College of William and Mary - 2nd oldest College in America

Yorktown, Virginia (with humble apologies to the Brits at the site) where the American Revolutionary war was won.

All within 30 miles of where I live.

Oh - yeah -

400' beneath me - The Chesapeake Bay Impact Crater - 2nd largest crater in America.

i live in the los angeles area. home of the county-wide famous, Los angeles Zoo. where you can find common sewer rats on display.

i think it's also the grafitti capital of the world. one of my favorites signatures that ive seen tagged up in the hood reads: "ENRON + GUNS= LAPD".

My town's only claim to fame is that it's town green was used as a kennel for runaway cows until about 40 years ago.

But I am about 20 minutes from Yale University, so there're a bunch of idiotic presidents and presidential candidates that came this way just because it'd look good when running.

It's still a little way down the track, but at Aston uni they are doing research into development of an anti-obesity drug based on zinc alpha 2 glycoprotein (Prof. Michael Tisdale). There's also Prof. Graham Harding, who has done a lot of research into photosensitive epilepsy. And we're developing a new TB vaccine, and have developed a method for rapid identification for MRSA.

Aston uni also developed temozolamide (Temodal), an anticancer drug for brain tumours.

Not as impressive as some others, I know, but its only been a university since 1966,there are only 6500 students, there aren't that many science degrees, and it seems like the business school are the ones who get all the damn money :mad:

But our chancellor was Sir Adrian Cadbury.

I live less than an hour away from the big Oak Ridge laboratory, a lot of people in my town work there. I was trying to get to a soccer game once and got very lost and somehow ended up near the laboratory, the security there is absolutely insane, which is actually a big comfort, it would be a prime target for terrorists...

I live in Chicago. We celebrate ignorance, stupidity, a crappy mayor, huge debt, large toll way fees, huge taxes and Michael Jordan. University of Illinois has countless numbers of things to be famous for, but a football and basketball team aren't one of 'em. Oh yeah, the Bears lost horribly today and the White Sox just traded Carlos Lee...wonderful city.