Nerve Blood Supply

If something were to disconnect or obstruct the blood supply to the arm, or the nerves in it...it would lose function.

I used to sleep in funny positions; and when I cut off the circulation to my arm (because of the way I was sleeping), i was suddenly woken up in the middle of the night, to find an essentially "dead" arm. But that went away after a few seconds, and as far as I can tell there are no lasting side affects.

I honestly dont know if a brachial plexus injury could obstruct the nerve, but I woundnt rule it out. There are infinitely many things that could go wrong.

Considering what the brachial plexus is, it's more likley that a brachial plexus injury will result in nerve compression causing (hopefully) temporary paralysis. It's highly unlikely that restricted blood supply could cause a brachial plexus injury.

My grandad has now been diagnosed with brachial plexus injury, after a C5 & C6 fusion and cage. He is just looking for the explanation that the hospital wont give him. They say it was caused by the neck brace he was given in hospital to keep his neck up from where they made the incision at the front of the neck, the neck brace supposedly put too much pressure on the top of the brachial plexus nerves causing very slowly healing paralysis of the right arm. Also would being a diabitic/smoker make the blood supply even worse?

no no Im saying that a blood restriction coud result from a injury, becuase of its location directly next to the subclavian artery.

Nerves, especially large bundles like the brachial plexus, are richly supplied by blood from a number of tiny vessels. Usually the only pathology significant enough to result in an obstruction of blood flow resulting in damage to the brachial plexus would be major traumatic injuries, like a stab wound or blunt force trauma. Damage to the blood vessels subsequent to surgery would be high on the differential.

My grandad has now been diagnosed with brachial plexus injury, after a C5 & C6 fusion and cage. He is just looking for the explanation that the hospital wont give him. They say it was caused by the neck brace he was given in hospital to keep his neck up from where they made the incision at the front of the neck, the neck brace supposedly put too much pressure on the top of the brachial plexus nerves causing very slowly healing paralysis of the right arm.

Although their explanation is feasible, it is MUCH more likely that the injury was caused during the actual surgery. He should regain normal function after a period of healing. Of course, there is always a risk that permanent damage did occur. Compression injury from a neck brace would most certainly heal in time.

Also would being a diabitic/smoker make the blood supply even worse?
Yes! One of the primary symptoms of diabetes is neuropathy resulting from primary nerve damage and decreased blood flow.

Two days sound about the right amount of time for post-operative inflammation to have exerted pressure on the roots of the C5-6 spinal nerves. Soft tissue inflammation can take a long time to go down, but it will go down.

Is the paralysis complete, or is there still partial function? How about sensory function? Is there still feeling in the arm, or tingling. or nothing?

Well, considering they are doing nothing I will offer a few suggestions to reduce the inflammation that may or may not be helpful. But I am not a doctor so you might just want to ignore me.

1) Apply a moist heating source such as a moist heating pad from a drugstore or a whirlpool

2) take an anti-oxidant vitamin

3) eat lots of fruits and vegetables

4) he has to quit smoking