sonication used for detonation?

the guy

theoretically, could sonication be used as a method of detonation?

i was just thinking cause i know detonation has something to do with shock waves and such and such and, when reading about sonication and sonochemistry i noticed this:

'sonochemistry arises from acoustic cavitation: the formation, growth, and implosive collapse of bubbles in a liquid.'

i was just wondering if this would have a detonating effect on high-explosive liquids...?

theoretically, could sonication be used as a method of detonation?

i was just thinking cause i know detonation has something to do with shock waves and such and such and, when reading about sonication and sonochemistry i noticed this:

'sonochemistry arises from acoustic cavitation: the formation, growth, and implosive collapse of bubbles in a liquid.'

i was just wondering if this would have a detonating effect on high-explosive liquids...?

Detonation is distinguished from deflagration in that combustion is initiated by adiabatic compression. A full Chapman-Jouget wave detonation proceeds at the local speed of sound in the advancing wave front. In typical solid explosives that speed is on the order of kiometers/second with pressures (rough order of magnitude) of a million psi.

That is very much faster than the speed of sound in the parent material, due to the extreme pressure and temperature in the wave front.

While deflagration-to-detonation transition does occur, detonations in bulk materials most commonly require a detonating input. That is the function of a blasting cap. Primary explosives that are used to create the required input are very specialized and very sensitive.

Liquid explosives, nitroglycerine for instance, operate under the same basic principles. They tend to be somewhat shock sensitive, though not normally so sensitive as depicted in motion pictures. I would not advise creating violent bubbles in nitroglycerine, though that would be a poor way to intentionally initiate detonation. You might get a reaction and you might not. If you do, you will not like it. Nitroglycerine is often transported by eduction in water emulsion. A water hammer in the emulsion line is a bad thing.

The general rule with explosives is to do only those operations that are safe under conditions that are known to be safe. That means not introducing energy into liquid explosives without knowing beforehand the likely result. It also means only handling sensitive explosives for some pre-established purpose, a purpose with a potentially useful outcome. In particular, people who would blow bubbles into nitroglycerine to see what happens aren't allowed to handle NG in the first place.

Ah, thank-you, i was just curious, i had sudden wild flashes of inventing a new form of blasting cap or something, before realizing that it would probably be ridiculously expensive, and now realizing that it wouldn't work anyway. Oh well.

And don't worry i have no intention of foolishly blowing bubbles into nitroglycerine!

thanks for your answer :)

• 2 weeks later...