Physics for Youth

briddell

Greetings! Moments ago I posted my Topic on my particle accelerator which made me think about the discrimination that I receive for attempting to undertake advanced, complex, and seemingly "Too Mature" projects and ventures. I am 13, in 8th grade, have skipped a grade, and have hopes to attend Carol Martin's Gatton Academy for Science and Mathematics. Instead of telling me to slow down and to have more of a "Regular life" I want people to realize that I just value my education the most and want it to be pristine, prime, and potent. My young age inhibits me from being able to learn: Geometry, Trigonometry, Calculus, Physics, or Computer Science. I want to learn the necessary math (Geo, Trig, and Cal - I am taking advanced Algebra 1 currently) and then Physics, but can't because the school wants me to follow ordinary schedules in education. So, I am imploring the great minds of this forum to show me to an online resource or to a Topic on the forum that teaches the said mathematical subjects and Physics. I thank you in advance, and ask if you share my reasoning for wanting age to not be part of educational availability. Goodbye, thank you for your time.

-Briddell

The school won't let me skip classes easily. We got the school to let me take Geometry over this summer, so that is a step in the right direction. My school system just does not offer many opportunities for the Gifted and Talented students anyway, so trying to get even more extra care is difficult. Thank you for the help, though!

-Briddell

Greetings! Moments ago I posted my Topic on my particle accelerator which made me think about the discrimination that I receive for attempting to undertake advanced, complex, and seemingly "Too Mature" projects and ventures. I am 13, in 8th grade, have skipped a grade, and have hopes to attend Carol Martin's Gatton Academy for Science and Mathematics. Instead of telling me to slow down and to have more of a "Regular life" I want people to realize that I just value my education the most and want it to be pristine, prime, and potent. My young age inhibits me from being able to learn: Geometry, Trigonometry, Calculus, Physics, or Computer Science. I want to learn the necessary math (Geo, Trig, and Cal - I am taking advanced Algebra 1 currently) and then Physics, but can't because the school wants me to follow ordinary schedules in education. So, I am imploring the great minds of this forum to show me to an online resource or to a Topic on the forum that teaches the said mathematical subjects and Physics. I thank you in advance, and ask if you share my reasoning for wanting age to not be part of educational availability. Goodbye, thank you for your time.

-Briddell

At your age Don Zagier had a double major in math and physics at MIT.

Who is telling you that you can't learn because you are too young ?

The school won't let me skip classes easily. We got the school to let me take Geometry over this summer, so that is a step in the right direction.
Learning advanced topics does not necessarily have to happen in school. Particularly, it is not necessary to skip topic X before you can start learning topic Y.

Have your parents talk to the top administrators at your Board of Education, their duty is to every students education, placement in appropriate classes best suited for their needs, some people think age/social factors are more important then allowing the true potential of the learnie to learn. Follow your desires and please do not take a NO for their answer. There are funding for such advanced learners to get the education needed. So have your parents do the foot work, and you keep to your studies.

-Briddell

You can get college textbooks online. Most of mine are cheaper at Amazon than they are at the university bookstore. There are also free courses online such as KhanAcademy and MIT.

At your age Don Zagier had a double major in math and physics at MIT.

Who is telling you that you can't learn because you are too young ?

The school System will not let me take classes that are for High School Students in Middle School. Whenever I try to get into the more advanced classes, I am refused. They say that, basically, I should just "go with the flow." My school system is not very equipped to deal with "needy" students like the Gifted and Talented ones; they focus on the below average students. I will get textbooks online, but I was trying to get my knowledge of the class recognized by the school system. Unless I test out of the class, they will require that I take the class at their school. Over the summer, while I am taking Geometry, I will work on getting the books required for the other math classes, complete them (after Geometry) and then attempt to test out. I hope this plan is successful. Thank you for your advice/ critique.

-Briddell

The school System will not let me take classes that are for High School Students in Middle School. Whenever I try to get into the more advanced classes, I am refused. They say that, basically, I should just "go with the flow." My school system is not very equipped to deal with "needy" students like the Gifted and Talented ones; they focus on the below average students. I will get textbooks online, but I was trying to get my knowledge of the class recognized by the school system. Unless I test out of the class, they will require that I take the class at their school. Over the summer, while I am taking Geometry, I will work on getting the books required for the other math classes, complete them (after Geometry) and then attempt to test out. I hope this plan is successful. Thank you for your advice/ critique.

-Briddell

timo is on target in recommending a standard paper textbook over online resources. There is a reason that classic textbooks are classics.

Assuming that you are correct in assessing yourself as "gifted", and I have no reason to believe otherwise, then learning basic algebra and trigonometry is the right thing to do after you have learned geometry. There are many suitable textbooks, and none at that level that I would call "classic". Any book with a title like "Algebra and Trigonometry" or "Pre-Calculus Mathematics" should be suitable. The old SMSG (School Mathematics Study Group as I recall) paperback books seem to be available at a very reasonable price and ought to do the job -- see Alibris.com or Amazon.com

A good introductory calculus text is almost a non sequitar, but Mike Spivak's Calculus is pretty good. You might try that one when you are ready for calculus.

Non-calculus based physics texts and classes do exist, but they are pretty much a waste of time. Learn calculus either before studying physics or concurrently with studying it for the first time. Calculus was invented for the purpose of making sense of mechanics. The Feynman Lectures on Physics remains the classic introductory physics text, but Halliday and Resnick's Fundamentals of Phsics (latest edition by Walker, Halliday and Resnick) is also good.

It will help you a lot if you can find someone with a deep knowledge of physics and mathematics to serve as a mentor and someone with whom you can discuss your ideas. Even an intelligent study partner at your own level will help.

Khan academy http://www.khanacademy.org/ is a good resource to suppliment any book(s) you choose.

The exercises section can provide a source of quick feedback in terms of where your knowledge is at. They're arranged in a tree structure which makes it easier to find out what you don't know (go up the tree until you have a really good handle on the concepts and the exercises are trivial, then go down one level).

The videos are also very good.

Come hang out in the chat room, most of us don't bite.

I would also agree with DrRocket's point about non-calculus based physics. It is possible to learn the basics without, but it is much more rewarding, and the connections are much more apparent with. Trying to get a deep understanding of physics without calculus is like trying to get a deep understanding of literature without knowing the language and only having half of a traveller's phrase book. It will also be much quicker if you understand the calculus.

Unfortunately, the mechanics section of Khan Academy is largely calculus free (last I checked, at least), but it may still offer a concrete grounding/context in some of the principles if correctly combined with a more mathematically oriented textbook.

Edited by Schrödinger's hat

timo is on target in recommending a standard paper textbook over online resources. There is a reason that classic textbooks are classics.

Assuming that you are correct in assessing yourself as "gifted", and I have no reason to believe otherwise, then learning basic algebra and trigonometry is the right thing to do after you have learned geometry. There are many suitable textbooks, and none at that level that I would call "classic". Any book with a title like "Algebra and Trigonometry" or "Pre-Calculus Mathematics" should be suitable. The old SMSG (School Mathematics Study Group as I recall) paperback books seem to be available at a very reasonable price and ought to do the job -- see Alibris.com or Amazon.com

A good introductory calculus text is almost a non sequitar, but Mike Spivak's Calculus is pretty good. You might try that one when you are ready for calculus.

Non-calculus based physics texts and classes do exist, but they are pretty much a waste of time. Learn calculus either before studying physics or concurrently with studying it for the first time. Calculus was invented for the purpose of making sense of mechanics. The Feynman Lectures on Physics remains the classic introductory physics text, but Halliday and Resnick's Fundamentals of Phsics (latest edition by Walker, Halliday and Resnick) is also good.

It will help you a lot if you can find someone with a deep knowledge of physics and mathematics to serve as a mentor and someone with whom you can discuss your ideas. Even an intelligent study partner at your own level will help.

I see: so it is far more useful to use "classic" textbooks rather than using an online research. I will work on Trigonometry after I do Geometry over the summer. I will then work on a calculus textbook. After ALL of that, I will begin on Physics. I have looked up the textbooks on Amazon and have asked my parents. They are under consideration for purchase soon. I didn't expect such an amazing response! You were very helpful. Thank you!

-Briddell

I see: so it is far more useful to use "classic" textbooks rather than using an online research. I will work on Trigonometry after I do Geometry over the summer. I will then work on a calculus textbook. After ALL of that, I will begin on Physics. I have looked up the textbooks on Amazon and have asked my parents. They are under consideration for purchase soon. I didn't expect such an amazing response! You were very helpful. Thank you!

-Briddell

Online resources are still useful, and can be easier to study for some.

The disadvantage is that they often lack the rigor and depth of knowledge, and they are frequently less reliable.

-Briddell

I am 14 and my school doesn't offer me enough. Believe it or not, we get only 3 science lessons and 3 maths lessons a week! I purely have to rely on the internet to teach me so I can take on more advanced topics. Might I recommend buying a book from eBay. I do enjoy this forum site because I can put all my ideas into it whenever I like and have a discussion about them or even be corrected if I've made a stupid mistake. Revision is they key mate but 1 thing that I've been taught is to separate my knowledge because if I give an advanced answer in a test, it may not get all the marks as it isn't AQA (or whatever examination board you have).

. Revision is they key mate but 1 thing that I've been taught is to separate my knowledge because if I give an advanced answer in a test, it may not get all the marks as it isn't AQA (or whatever examination board you have).

That is very deep insight for a fourteen-year-old. You will do well.

• 4 weeks later...

If your school is really annoying you then you might want to consider moving school, or if there is a school council or something like that then you could tell them.Also I have just joined the forum and I'm already learning that there is teenagers doing outstanding work, I know this is off the topic but can someone please help me be more smarter, I have a love for wisdom but I just need a little push to get me started, like were I can get the information.