Feynman lectures on physics online?

Alfred001

Actually I'm looking for a specific series of lectures. These: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Feynman_Lectures_on_Physics

Feynman gave an introductory course to physics at Caltech and Caltech recorded the lectures and they were also made into book form called "Feynman Lectures on Physics."

I'm wondering whether the video recordings are available anywhere online for free, and if not whether there's an audio recording (either of the lectures or the audio version of the book).

I remember that the Gates foundation have put the Cornell lecture online. Maybe a quick google for that?

The Cornell lectures are something else, it's what finster posted. I think those lectures are called The Character of Physical Law.

Unfortunately, they're not there, but that's a great resource, thanks.

Feynman's 1961-64 Caltech undergraduate physics lectures were never filmed or videotaped. They were tape-recorded and photographed, and this material formed the basis of The Feynman Lectures on Physics (FLP). Most of the tapes are commercially available on CD, sold by Perseus in "volumes" of 6 lectures each. The correspondence between Perseus's audio volumes and the chapters of FLP can be found here.

Mike Gottlieb

Editor, The Feynman Lectures on Physics

www.feynmanlectures.info

Feynman's 1961-64 Caltech undergraduate physics lectures were never filmed or videotaped. They were tape-recorded and photographed, and this material formed the basis of The Feynman Lectures on Physics (FLP). Most of the tapes are commercially available on CD, sold by Perseus in "volumes" of 6 lectures each. The correspondence between Perseus's audio volumes and the chapters of FLP can be found here.

Mike Gottlieb

Editor, The Feynman Lectures on Physics

www.feynmanlectures.info

Thanks, Michael!

I remember that the Gates foundation have put the Cornell lecture online. Maybe a quick google for that?

Those lectures are online as are the Robb Lectures that formed the basis for the book QED.

Both are excellent. But they have nothing to do with The Feynman Lectures on Physics.

There are some audios available of the lectures themselves, but without visuals I would think that the book is much better source for those wishing to study physics seriously. This is not to say that there is no value in hearing the lectures being given by Feynman himself complete with the New York accent.

Compared to many other science books the lectures are quite reasonably priced, and are availabe in soft cover versions that are even more reasonably priced. At any price they are welll worth the money.

Those lectures are online as are the Robb Lectures that formed the basis for the book QED.

Both are excellent. But they have nothing to do with The Feynman Lectures on Physics.

There are some audios available of the lectures themselves, but without visuals I would think that the book is much better source for those wishing to study physics seriously. This is not to say that there is no value in hearing the lectures being given by Feynman himself complete with the New York accent.

Compared to many other science books the lectures are quite reasonably priced, and are availabe in soft cover versions that are even more reasonably priced. At any price they are welll worth the money.

I read a review on the audio collection and the reviewer recommended using it in conjunction with the books because the books show what he's writing on blackboard and , of course, you will not be aware of this on the audio...it probably causes discontinuity and gaps for the listener is what the reviewer is suggesting I think in the absence of the books.

Edited by StringJunky

I noticed on Michael Gotlieb's site above that there is a side-by-side guide to matching the sections of the books with the commercially available CDs - with a topic like this it is probably best to get all the help one can :)

Frankly in my opinion the content is in the books. Audios are just an interesting and entertaining sidelight.. But different people learn differently and whatever works for you is the way for you to go.

Frankly in my opinion the content is in the books. Audios are just an interesting and entertaining sidelight.. But different people learn differently and whatever works for you is the way for you to go.

Why do you say that, aren't the books transcripts of the audio? That's what I heard?

Is it because you don't see the math?

If you can choose only one - go for the books certainly. But the option of both is useful. It's at a lower level; but I followed Gilbert Strang's course on linear algebra a few years ago - and whilst the book was the meat and drink of the course, the lectures on video really helped. The lectures also provide a natural pacing for learning a difficult subject - it's an undergrad course at Caltech and should not be rushed.