Topic Phrase 2

Gonçalo Ferreira

"Wisdom doesn't come in oneliners." :)

Please comment on the whole ambience and meaning of this

The letters are too big. I don't like that. So, I apologise for copying the fontsize above.

In itself, such phrases (perhaps similar to "don't judge a book by its cover") are hollow and empty. Only when applied to a certain case, you can say if it makes sense.

I mean, there are instances when you must make a split second decision, and you only see a shadow. (You're lounging on the freeway at sunset, and a shadow rapidly moves towards you... you decide to get off the road only a second before the 18-wheeler roars past).

Depending on position a shadow can look monstrous. You see an enormous shadow on the wall and automatically judge it to be something monsterous, only to turn around and find a child standing behind you. I believe the phrase is similar to that of "don't judge a book by it's cover".

"Only an idiot makes broad generalisations"

Also, only an idiot would try to find specifics with broad generalizations. Generalizations can be useful depending on context. They only become irrelevant when the context is changed to require something more specific.

• 2 months later...

Well, the most common meaning of the phrase was using shadow as symbolic to one's past. Although a shadow can also lead one, the phrase simply means that you shouldn't judge by stupid mistakes. Sometimes the sun just doesn't reach people, the sun symbolizing common sense.