Forum friends

This is the only forum I use and until recently never wanted to add anyone as my friend although I have been a member for two years.

I see friendship (even forum friendship) as a two way link. We are friends makes more sense than saying **** is my friend but I don't know if I am their friend.

With that thought in mind, the first place I looked at to see if my request had been accepted was my own profile. But it doesn't work that way.

So my suggestion is that if friendship is requested and accepted then names and pictures should automatically appear on both relevant profiles.

If for some reason (perhaps not allowing changes to somebody's profile without their express permission) this cannot be done then perhaps the e-mail sent to the requester could be worded something like " **** has successfully added you to their friends list and added you to their profile. If you would like them to be shown on your profile you need to ask them to request friendship with you".

I don't understand, you have eight friends on your profile page and they all have your name and picture on their profile.

If your browser is not updating properly try [Ctrl] and [F5] simultaneously to force a new update.

Hm. I just tried adding you as a friend, and it showed up in both our profiles. It can be inconsistent, though; some people have to approve your request before it appears, and others don't. (There's an option to let you require approval first.) It should be bidirectional, as far as I know.

I see you there Cap'n - thank you for that. I have tried Ctrl+F5 a few times and also tried clearing browser data. Still the person mentioned as accepting in an email yesterday doesn't show - although I show on theirs. It is likely that they have to approve, but I assume from the email and because I do show in their profile that has been done. I am using Google Chrome.

Is it possible that the information is held in their browsing data and may not be accessed for a time?

Edited by TonyMcC

I see you there Cap'n - thank you for that. I have tried Ctrl+F5 a few times and also tried clearing browser data. Still the person mentioned as accepting in an email yesterday doesn't show - although I show on theirs. It is likely that they have to approve, but I assume from the email and because I do show in their profile that has been done. I am using Google Chrome.

Is it possible that the information is held in their browsing data and may not be accessed for a time?

No, it should be immediate. I'm not sure what could cause a delay.

No, it should be immediate. I'm not sure what could cause a delay.

If the other person's picture and link do not appear in my profile should I send them a message asking them to request me as a friend? Or might that confuse the issue?

Apparently if you have selected approve friend requests, friend requests are submitted into a folder but no notification is made about this activity. . . . . I suddenly have a friends list. : D

Wait, I accepted like seven and I see none!

It seems that I have to add them as a friend in return . . . .

Apparently if you have selected approve friend requests, friend requests are submitted into a folder but no notification is made about this activity. . . . . I suddenly have a friends list. : D

Wait, I accepted like seven and I see none!

It seems that I have to add them as a friend in return . . . .

All now seems in order - I'm happy - I'm sure we all are happy!

+1 for Spyman and Cap'n for their assistance.

Edited by TonyMcC

Apparently if you have selected approve friend requests, friend requests are submitted into a folder but no notification is made about this activity.

Under My Settings / Notification Options / Profiles & Friends you can change how the system should "Notify me when I have a pending friend request".