where the black chemist at?

Rabbiter

i been looking up all these great chemist recently... and when i look at there groups, the people they work with the undergrads and the post-doctoral guys... there mostly asian, indian and white.... i rarely ever see a black chemist in these groups working for the big time guys

Edited by Rabbiter

i been looking up all these great chemist recently... and when i look at there groups, the people they work with the undergrads and the post-doctoral guys... there mostly asian, indian and white.... i rarely ever see a black chemist in these groups working for the big time guys

In my experience you will not in general see many black physicists or mathematicians either. There are some well known black physicists, but these seem to be in a minority. Why this is I do not know, nor would I like to hazard a guess.

1. Segregation. Black people have a smaller chance to be successful because of segregation and discrimination. It's supposed to be abolished everywhere, but it's not.

2. Africa is still relatively poor, and does not have education at a level common in many other countries.

I would think this is obvious.

It's nothing to be proud of that this is the world we live in...

[edited to fix a typo]

Edited by CaptainPanic

I assume the OP was referring to black people in the West. The current state of Africa clearly explains why so few African scientists, maybe with the exception of white South Africans.

In the West, the actual number is low as black people are a minority. This however does not explain the proportions and I am confident black people are under represented. I am not sure if the idea of segregation and discrimination really explains this completely.

I assume the OP was referring to black people in the West. The current state of Africa clearly explains why so few African scientists, maybe with the exception of white South Africans.

In the West, the actual number is low as black people are a minority. This however does not explain the proportions and I am confident black people are under represented. I am not sure if the idea of segregation and discrimination really explains this completely.

I agree that it doesn't explain it completely. But it's a factor which cannot be ignored.

• 1 month later...