Is it possible?

Banks

I'm wondering if it's possible to make my heart, or for one's heart to stop from beating with will?

Like I know we can blink our eyes, move arms, legs, etc. But what about heart?

Would you need some kind of superpowers to be able to do that?

Thoughts? I've been wondering this for a while.

If anyone has the ability to do this, I would consider it supernatural. No ordinary human can do this because visceral functions, such as heart rate, are controlled by the autonomic nervous system. Personally, I am glad that visceral functions are controlled subconsciously. I would hate to have to control my own digestion, heart rate, breath, kidney function, liver function, etc. Talk about multitasking! :blink:

It amazes me how bodies have to be run automatically, yet we're only able to control a few parts. (Eyes, limbs, etc...)

What if we don't like our bodies or lives? Why must the nature make us deal with it?

You make a good point though, neals. Thanks for your post.

Edited by Banks

Are you serious? You think stopping your heart is something nature would ever find beneficial? You think killing yourself is a superpower?

By supernatural, I mean weird or miraculous. If anyone had the ability to do this, I like to imagine it would be comparable to when we try to hold our breath. The person would only be able to do it for a few seconds, then he would have to make it start beating again out of pain or the like

Are you serious? You think stopping your heart is something nature would ever find beneficial? You think killing yourself is a superpower?

Why not? We live in a system of slavery and greed. It's hard to believe that it's actually hard to kill myself, we have strong survival instincts and such. We only exist so others can profit from us.

Edited by Banks

So increasing cholesterol can contribute to the stoppage of heart rate?

That's a bit left field. But yeah, it'll do so by way of clogging your arteries, leading to death.

Does coffee contain cholesterol?

It contains chemicals that can increase your cholesterol, though it's severely reduced if you use a filter, it looks like.

(Which I do, so kudos to me.)

Say if I drink 20 cups of coffee and run fast full speed, it will make my heart stop?

You might have a heart attack due to the caffeine, not the cholesterol. Even then... 20 cups won't do it.

Well, maybe twenty cups of coffee the way I make it. I have to be careful about disposing undrunk coffee, can't dump it near any water ways or cemeteries.