Schrodinger's cat solved

Itisone

that experiment never made sense to me because the cat is capable of measuring a system and collapsing wave functions, there's no way it's both alive and dead. Even if you put a rock in there, there's photons and vibrations and etc. effecting it, hitting all the atoms, and even telling us whats going on without looking into it.

Well what you said is true the cat is measuring. But you can't say that there is no way the cat can be both dead and alive because the only way to know is by observing, by measuring and when you do measure you force the cat to be one or another. The point of there experiment is not knowing (from your perspective) what is inside of the box and when you don't know the possibility are endless. For example I have a box that is infinitely big and infinitely small what is inside? You don't know until you look, when you don't know the possibilities are endless because your imagination is endless. The thought experiment is trying to open your mind to duality to being both.

Here watch this

it helped me grasp the thought experiment much better.

Watch my video it explains everything give my theory a chance

Edited by Itisone

1) That's not what the "thought experiment" is going for. Also, you don't have a theory.

2) Reality is not "made up of matter." There is such a thing as empty space.

3) "There are an infinite amount of ways that reality can be interpreted". No. There is an objective, observable reality.

4) "Time is like matter". Erm. No.

5) "Reality is a weird form of infinity." This doesn't even make sense.

6) You keep misusing the term "infinity".

7) The double slit-experiment does not prove that "matter isn't matter until you look at it."

8) Your understanding of the double slit experiment comes from "What the Bleep Do We Know", which isn't a very good source for quantum mechanics. It's quite hit-and-miss.

Conclusion: You cannot learn complicated quantum mechanics and relativity from watching bad science shows. You must get a formalized training in the matter. Sorry.

1) That's not what the "thought experiment" is going for. Also, you don't have a theory.

maybe but that is how I interpret the experiment. This is still a rough draft tried to say everything didn't come out right. I need to write it down to get a clear answer.

2) Reality is not "made up of matter." There is such a thing as empty space.

there is no absolute "empty space" or vacuum. Tiny particles pop in and out of existence forgot what they are called.

3) "There are an infinite amount of ways that reality can be interpreted". No. There is an objective, observable reality.

Well I'm assuming that everyone's perspective is observable and they are me consciousness.

We are all looking at earth in our own unique perspective each one is different. No one else sees it the way you see it. and each new observer is new perspective. so as long as there is enough room for a new observer where will be an infinite amount of way reality can be interpreted.

the universe is infinitely big

4) "Time is like matter". Erm. No.

they are both perceived using out bodies is that not a connection between them? dose that not make them similar even slightly

5) "Reality is a weird form of infinity." This doesn't even make sense.

Reality is a weird form of nothing*

6) You keep misusing the term "infinity".

yes I do

7) The double slit-experiment does not prove that "matter isn't matter until you look at it."

its proves matter behave like a wave when not measured and when you measure it, it is matter. no?

8) Your understanding of the double slit experiment comes from "What the Bleep Do We Know", which isn't a very good source for quantum mechanics. It's quite hit-and-miss.

My understanding come from

I agree it's not a very good source but it's all I got.

Conclusion: You cannot learn complicated quantum mechanics and relativity from watching bad science shows. You must get a formalized training in the matter. Sorry.

Yep I definitely need to know more quantum mechanics and relativity before I can really be taken seriously in this forum.

"Why, Mr. Anderson, why? Why? Why do you do it? Why? Why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting for something? For more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know?

Is it freedom or truth? Perhaps peace? Could it be for love? Illusions Mr. Anderson, vagaries of perception. Temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose."

Lol cool Love the matrix too brother

Well this was my shot at trying to make people wake up from the system we are in, everyone knows objectively how fucked up it is. People are starting to waking up and observe the fuckery of the system. I'm afraid that there will be a fight between the two soon, the tension is building up. That isn't the way I want it to end tho. there isn't only 2 sides but a third rout we can all take.

Edited by Itisone

there is no absolute "empty space" or vacuum. Tiny particles pop in and out of existence forgot what they are called.

Yes, but this is not congruous to the statement that matter is reality.

the universe is infinitely big

No one knows this for certain. It's an open question in cosmology.

they are both perceived using out bodies is that not a connection between them? dose that not make them similar even slightly

Time is a dimension. Matter is...stuff. There are no similarities.

its proves matter behave like a wave when not measured and when you measure it, it is matter. no?

Yes and no. That's a *very* simplified explanation of it. It really is based in quantum mechanics.

My understanding come from

I agree it's not a very good source but it's all I got.

That's part of the "What the Bleep Do We Know" series. But the good thing is it ISN'T all you have. The internet is full of wonderful resources, like the Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseware. You can also order physics textbooks from Amazon and do some self-study.

Yep I definitely need to know more quantum mechanics and relativity before I can really be taken seriously in this forum.

You seem like a reasonable person, so I'm glad that you recognize this. You are attempting to jump into fields that are subject to poor analogies and popular misconceptions. It takes 3-4 years of dedicated study before you can really start getting into the meat of quantum. Special relativity is a little more friendly, but general relativity is as formidable as quantum. If you're truly interested in these subjects, then you might think about pursuing a formal education in physics.

Lol cool Love the matrix too brother

Yes. It is a very good fiction movie.

"Yes, but this is not congruous to the statement that matter is reality."

yep I see that hole in my theory. I need to choose each statement carefully and make sure it all matches up. But I'm on to something am I not? this one theory, trying to explain we are all one. if it gets proven right everything will be solved. no wars, no hate, no jealousy, no borders, no religion because there is no point in hitting yourself over and over again. humankind can work as one and be the greatest race that ever lived.

too bad only a few of us see all of us as one.

"Time is a dimension. Matter is...stuff. There are no similarities."

so time is a dimension, is space a dimension? if so space makes matter. if there was no space between you and matter, there would be no matter. you wouldn't be able to differentiate yourself and matter. it should be time is like space not time is like matter

"Yes. It is a very good fiction movie."

lol love how you said fiction movie n not just movie.

yeah I know its not real but it relates to real life. It has so many connections to that is why it's a great movie.

I take it as a punishment so I have a reason to be better next time

Unless you are writing about established science or peer-reviewed research everything will end up in Speculations...SFN do this to clearly define between amateur and professional peer-reviewed stuff so learners don't get confused. Be happy you have a space to express your ideas. :)

Edited by StringJunky

that experiment never made sense to me because the cat is capable of measuring a system and collapsing wave functions, there's no way it's both alive and dead. Even if you put a rock in there, there's photons and vibrations and etc. effecting it, hitting all the atoms, and even telling us whats going on without looking into it.

Observing a system in QM is not about conciousness, it is about interaction. This means that a single photon is capable of "observing" a quantum system if it interacts with it.

However, this also means that the photon that interacted with the system becomes part of the system.

Extending this to a whole cat, then even though the cat might be able to "observe" the system in the box, it eventually becomes part of the system. And, because we are outside the box and are not interacting with the inside, of the box, we are not part of the system, so it still makes sense for us to ask the question "is the cat alive or dead".

You have to consider that this experiment only makes sense if its impossible to observe the system (and the cat is part of the system). Any object inside the box which is interacting with its environment and can be observed completely invalidates the experiment, because we're observing something... the point is that nothing inside the box can be measured or observed, and is therefore unknowable until we observe it.

Dead and alive is like flipping a coin. If you flip the coin and never look then you dont know if its heads or tails. Of course a flipped coin is a classical experiment and the result is EITHER heads or tails, not both. In the quantum equivalent of a coin flip (which is demonstrated by the Schrodingers cat experiment) the result can be in a superposition of two states at the same time; headstails / deadalive.

You have to consider that this experiment only makes sense if its impossible to observe the system (and the cat is part of the system). Any object inside the box which is interacting with its environment and can be observed completely invalidates the experiment, because we're observing something... the point is that nothing inside the box can be measured or observed, and is therefore unknowable until we observe it.

Dead and alive is like flipping a coin. If you flip the coin and never look then you dont know if its heads or tails. Of course a flipped coin is a classical experiment and the result is EITHER heads or tails, not both. In the quantum equivalent of a coin flip (which is demonstrated by the Schrodingers cat experiment) the result can be in a superposition of two states at the same time; headstails / deadalive.

A classical system like a coin is also either a head or a tail after you flip it, you just don't know which one. A quantum system in a superposition is simultaneously in both states. It's not simply a matter of not knowing what state it's in.