Experiments to try at home forum...

How about a new forum for showing experiments (mainly safe ones ;) ) that we can do at home??

Like I recently found out laser pointers can be used to create holograms with.

Or how you can cook a CD in a microwave oven and get a nice effect.

Or ideas for ways to use things other than their original purpose..

Like when you shine a laser pointer through a bottle of Coke/Pepsi it lights up the contents.

Or how you can shine the laser dot onto a surface to mark it without actually marking it, not that I do much DIY though. ;)

And why can't the posters ID show their sex too??

It drives me mad having to refer to people as s/he or him/her. ;)

i think a gender in the profile would be ok idea.

as for the experiments just put it in the appropriate section.

laser stuff: classical mechanics

if not theres general science, chemistry and general discussion normally cover most stuff.

as experiments normally fit nicely into an already made category i doubt a new thing will be made just for it.

i think a gender in the profile would be ok idea.

as for the experiments just put it in the appropriate section.

laser stuff: classical mechanics

if not theres general science' date=' chemistry and general discussion normally cover most stuff.

as experiments normally fit nicely into an already made category i doubt a new thing will be made just for it.[/quote']

Ok.

I just figured it would be more convenient if we had a forum dedicated to experiments, if only so people could go in there when they're bored to look for something to do.

Like I know practically nothing about chemistry and I'm sure the chemistry boffins know of loads of cool experiments we could try at home using household materials.

Or the physics guys with stuff like cooking CD's in microwave ovens..

it`s all part of the "fun of the search" :)

most of the chem ones DO actualy have contents and posts that many are doing at home in way of experiments :)

as for the gender idea, WHY? in particular should it be important if their posts are good?

just use their <Nick> name that they use on here :)

besides, what if someones a gay?

it`s probably better the way it is currently :)

"it`s all part of the "fun of the search" :)"

Fun in the aspect of searching SFN, or fun in the aspect of searching Google and ending up with a crappy experiment (such as insufficient instructions for synthesizing HE-material) and a few blown off limbs? :<