MS or MBA

nick1048

I graduated with my BS in Biology about 5 years ago and have been working an Environmental Health position that's a nice blend of environmental science and engineering/planning. It has been a good resume builder, but I am now looking to advance my career and am looking at grad school. In terms of programs I don't know which would benefit me more. I am looking at a MS in Natural Resources and Env. Science or an MBA with a concentration in Sustainability and Environmental Compliance.

I was thinking that the MBA could open some doors still keep me in the science realm of things. The MS would keep me much more based in science, but will take me a little longer and I'm going to have a harder time getting in. I was just looking for any advice, thoughts, opinions...

Thanks

I graduated with my BS in Biology about 5 years ago and have been working an Environmental Health position that's a nice blend of environmental science and engineering/planning. It has been a good resume builder, but I am now looking to advance my career and am looking at grad school. In terms of programs I don't know which would benefit me more. I am looking at a MS in Natural Resources and Env. Science or an MBA with a concentration in Sustainability and Environmental Compliance.

I was thinking that the MBA could open some doors still keep me in the science realm of things. The MS would keep me much more based in science, but will take me a little longer and I'm going to have a harder time getting in. I was just looking for any advice, thoughts, opinions...

Thanks

Do what interests you. Why not both ?

If you want to work in a large company or corporation in a business or management role, the MBA will help secure a position more quickly, and also will help with salary. If you want to be an engineer in that company, or even a scientist or researcher somewhere, go for the MS. That's just my opinion, though. As Dr.Rocket rightly suggests, the most important thing is to do what interests you.